Upgrade Linux Version!

Don't you think it's time to create a new linux version?

The actual version 4 is quite old. All other ESET products are already at the version 7 and version 8 is in the beta state. So I think ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux also should be updated.

A great thing that will be added in this case is ESET LiveGrid and many other technologies that aren't there in version 4. Also the GUI needs a redesign and can be changed to the GUIs like there are in v7 (or v8) of the Windows products.

post-3952-0-81557700-1410008025_thumb.png

Source: hxxp://static4.esetstatic.com/uploads/pics/EAV-Linux-Home-Status_20.png

Edited by rugk

Afaik, they don't follow the same version schedule, same with the Mac version is not on the same version as the Win version (7), and the business lineup is not on V7 either. The version number is not connected like that. Of course a new version will be released at some point. About the GUI, I believe they want it to fit in good in a Linux environment, just like the Mac version GUI to look good in the OS X environment.

I think the version number is connected and the Linux version and it's really old.

To see the connection look at the GUI Icon of the Linux version. I think this is was also the icon of the v4 of Windows.

And the Linux version is at least 2 years old. This you can see at the quick start guide (There you can read © 2011.)

And about the GUI: No I don't think that this is a Linux-like GUI, it's just an old GUI. E.g. if you look at the header it doesn't shows the ESET robot, but such a strange circle. In all today versions the robot would be shown.

Edited by rugk

OK, now I downloaded some old versions of the Windows products and installed them. And you can compare them to the Linux screenshot above now:

ESET NOD32 v 5:

post-3952-0-46018400-1410024599_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-26646100-1410024607_thumb.png

ESET NOD32 v 4:

post-3952-0-72294800-1410024605_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-81264900-1410024604_thumb.png

ESET NOD32 v 3:

post-3952-0-19799400-1410024603_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-28643400-1410024602_thumb.png

And I also installed ESS v 4.

ESET Smart Security v 4:

post-3952-0-33923500-1410024600_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-97432700-1410024608_thumb.png

And so you can see that the Icon of the Linux version is the same as the Windows version of the ESET NOD32 4 (or if you look exactly NOD32 3). So they share the version numbers or the Linux version is even older than the NOD32 v 4 for Windows.

And if you compare ESET NOD32 v 4 for Linux (left) and ESET NOD32 v 7 (right) for Windows you of course see many missing features:

post-3952-0-78648900-1410024864_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-02177100-1410024863_thumb.png

Also ESET CyberSecurity has more features:

post-3952-0-21907100-1410024868_thumb.png

It would be great if a Linux user of ESET could make a screenshot of the about window like I made, because there also the year is shown and then you now how old it is.

It is also interesting that on the download page for older versions ESET NOD32 for Linux isn't listed. So maybe it is not only an old, but also the only version for Linux.

Edited by rugk

Well, I don't think ESET have forgotten about the Linux version. Though, it may not be possible to develop all of the Win version features for Linux as they are totally different OS's. But i'm sure some new features will come sooner or later. 

Maybe they don't forgot the Linux version, but other products had a higher priority.

And of course you can't adapt all features, but many like:

• Advanced Heuristics
  • ESET LiveGrid
  • Social Media Scanner (this is very simple to implement, because they just have to add it to the list and provide a link from the program to the Social Media Scanner website)
  • Gamer Mode (also quite simple, if it is not already implemented)
Edited by rugk

Gamer mode on Linux would be quite unnecessary these days though...maybe in the future. All Linux users I know play their games in Windows anyway  ;)

Hey, you know that it is only called "Gamer Mode". Maybe a user just don't want to be bothered from messages for any time or so. :P

• ESET Insiders

Hi,

hxxp://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0&qpsp=2012&qpnp=3&qptimeframe=Y

Linux desktop market share in last few years is < 1.5% and I personally think there is the reason.

I believe there are not many business justifications for creating Linux Desktop AV at all ;)))

Disclaimer: I *am* Linux fan; I believe Linux should be on >90% home/office desktops; only small number of users really need something that is not available on Linux (read: drivers). It's just that an average user is sooo stubborn and afraid of anything new.

Best regards

Tomo

Yes maybe this is a reason, but I would like it anyway if a new Linux version will be created.

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

Gamer mode on Linux would be quite unnecessary these days though...maybe in the future. All Linux users I know play their games in Windows anyway  ;)

Why would the Gamer Mode on Linux be unnecessary?

With the release of Steam for Linux and the pending release of SteamOS which is Linux based it might be a good idea to add the Gamer Mode to the ESET Linux Antivirus...

hxxp://store.steampo...m/browse/linux/

hxxp://store.steampo...ngroom/SteamOS/

hxxp://store.steampowered.com/steamos

And as far as the need for an updated ESET Linux Antivirus many Government agency’s have switched to Linux...

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Of the Top 500 Supercomputers Linux is used in 97% of them...

hxxp://www.top500.org/statistics/details/osfam/1

Many big companies use Linux, including Google and Amazon...

hxxp://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-and-devices-running-on-gnulinux/

Google even has there own custom version of Linux called Goobuntu that is based on Ubuntu...

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu

And of course many individuals like myself have switched to Linux because of the Windows 8 FUBAR.

There may not be any Known Viruses in the wild that affect Linux but it is nice to have a piece of mind plus there are things that Linux users still might need protection from such as Boot Sector Viruses, Browser Flash & Java Exploits.

And any Windows or Mac OS viruses that cross a Linux users path wont be accidentally passed on even though those type of Viruses wont affect a Linux system.

I think it is very necessary for ESET to update and improve the Antivirus technology and features for Linux users.

Of the Top 500 Supercomputers Linux is used in 97% of them...

hxxp://www.top500.org/statistics/details/osfam/1

I think they never use any AV. This would speed them down and also if it's only a bit it would be to much.

But the other reasons are quite good and of course there is not only Gamer Mode "missing", but (and I think this is one of the largest arguments) also ESET LiveGrid isn't included in this old version.

And about the GUI: I think the GUI of ESET SysRescue Live (which is Linux-based) is quite good (at least it is better than this old GUI from the Windows version of NOD32 3/4).

Edited by rugk

Why would the Gamer Mode on Linux be unnecessary?

There may not be any Known Viruses in the wild that affect Linux but it is nice to have a piece of mind plus there are things that Linux users still might need protection from such as Boot Sector Viruses, Browser Flash & Java Exploits.

And any Windows or Mac OS viruses that cross a Linux users path wont be accidentally passed on even though those type of Viruses wont affect a Linux system.

I think it is very necessary for ESET to update and improve the Antivirus technology and features for Linux users.

Yes I know all that.  But I was talking about gamer mode specifically, sure it can be useful as it also work for full screen apps. My point is there is still very few games available for Linux compared to Win, but that may change in the future. 

Yeah well MS don't seem to care much about their OS anymore, as they can't even release updates for it these days that don't cause problems.  :ph34r:  I am also trying to move away from Win so you're not alone.  :D

Yeah well MS don't seem to care much about their OS anymore, as they can't even release updates for it these days that don't cause problems.  :ph34r:  I am also trying to move away from Win so you're not alone.  :D

I couldn’t agree more. :blink:

I have been using Linux for couple years now and I have been very pleased.

The only computer that I still have Windows on is the Media Center Computer and that will probably be switched to Linux in the near future now that Native Netflix Linux playback is easier to enable.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on something already...but they can't talk about that of course until a Beta is ready for the public to test out. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on something already...but they can't talk about that of course until a Beta is ready for the public to test out. 

Well... maybe.

• 1 year later...

Maybe some motivation for updating the Linux version:

post-3952-0-59944400-1444074854_thumb.png

In this test, the best detection rates in terms of Linux and Windows were exhibited by the desktop solution from ESET, followed by Symantec and Kaspersky Lab endpoint versions for company workstations.

https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/linux-16-schutzpakete-gegen-windows-und-linux-schaedlinge-im-test/