Any Known Issues/conflicts W/eset Nod32 Av And Other Programs?

Page42

I'll soon be installing ESET NOD32 on a couple W7 machines.

Would like to find out in advance about any known issues/conflicts with other software.

I run Sandboxie, MBAMPro, Comodo FW.  This setup, along with VIPRE (soon to be uninstalled) has been running GREAT for quite a long time.

Only reason I am changing things around is my VIPRE subscription expires this month, and it's time to move on to a different AV.

I already have my ESET licenses.

Thanks for any info.

• ESET Insiders

Hi,

My experience:

Sandboxie ... should co-work fine

MBAMPro ... problems are highly probable if MBAM "active component" is active :) It looks that sometimes it depends on other computer's settings...

Comodo FW ... should co-work fine

VIPRE ... VIPRE antivirus? Uninstall before installing NOD32

Best

Tomo

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would suggest checking each programs' support web site. Specifically, check knowledgebase articles, FAQs and the like for information on how to configure each program (set options and exclusions, etc.) in each program for the others to ensure there are no conflicts. Given that you will be using four programs from different companies, it is likely a small amount of testing will be required in order to set things up. ESET's knowledgebase can be found at hxxp://kb.eset.com/.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for the advice, fellas.  I think MBAM Premium will work okay, as they have designed the product to run with AVs.

Yes, I will definitely be uninstalling VIPRE, Tomo.

I mainly wanted to inquire to see if there are any known problems with other software, as is sometimes the case.

Sandboxie is a must have for me... I'll remove anything that does not co-exist with it, it's that important.

I'll post back if I have install or configuration questions.

Thanks again.

• Administrators

Thanks for the advice, fellas.  I think MBAM Premium will work okay, as they have designed the product to run with AVs.

Real-time proteciton of MBAM Pro is known to cause issues on Windows XP when ESET is installed and an external disk is connected to the computer.

Real-time proteciton of MBAM Pro is known to cause issues on Windows XP when ESET is installed and an external disk is connected to the computer.

Thank you, Marcos.

As noted in the OP, I am installing ESET on a couple of W7 machines, so no worries... but that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

@Page42

Hello :)

Even though MBAM is designed to co-exist with an AV, its always a good idea and recommended to exclude ESET in MBAM, and MBAM in ESET. Or wich ever AV one happen to use with MBAM.

This post might come in handy: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/150947-missing-mbam/?p=843114

• Administrators

Even though MBAM is designed to co-exist with an AV, its always a good idea and recommended to exclude ESET in MBAM, and MBAM in ESET. Or wich ever AV one happen to use with MBAM.

I never recommend adding exclusions unless inevitable. Every exclusion deteriorates overall protection capabilities of a security product as malware authors could take advantage of exclusions and stay running unnoticed in folders excluded from scanning.

So do you think it would be better if the user started using MBAM on-demand only, than setting up exclusions in both programs?

As that is what I do in the cases when they don't get along as good as they could, and it usually works fine. And I know more than one user that does that and also recommend it, in the hope to minimize the risk of conflicts and/or performance issues.

I personally don't use MBAM in realtime as I have mentioned before but many people do.

@Page42

Hello :)

This post might come in handy: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/150947-missing-mbam/?p=843114

Hello SweX!

Thank you for posting the exclusion advice and the MBAM forum link.  Very helpful.

So far, I have had ZERO noticeable problems between the two, without resorting to exclusions.  But the operative word just might be "noticeable".

Even though all appears fine to me, the user, maybe there'll come a time when they will stumble over each other.

Hard to say.

Thanks again.

I never recommend adding exclusions unless inevitable. Every exclusion deteriorates overall protection capabilities of a security product as malware authors could take advantage of exclusions and stay running unnoticed in folders excluded from scanning.

If a user wished to exclude ESET in MBAM, can you tell me which ESET files should be excluded?  I have searched the ESET KB but cannot find that info.  TY!

If a user wished to exclude ESET in MBAM, can you tell me which ESET files should be excluded?  I have searched the ESET KB but cannot find that info.  TY!

Without any guarantee, I would suggest C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security. Maybe you don't have to exclude all, so maybe only C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\ekrn.exe (path from a 64bit computer) could also work.