Update did not work, reverted to Windows Defender, install not working either

I started reusing a Windows 10 PC I had not used for quite a while.  I have eset internet security (12.something) installed on it.

I tried to update eset but it complained after a few updates.

At the same time, I was installing Windows 10 updates.  So I restarted the PC after the Windows 10 updates completed.

But it seems to have reverted to Windows Defender for anti-virus and firewall.

I went to the services and saw that ekrn service was stopped.  I tried starting it but it would not allow it.  I also tried starting eset GUI (egui.exe?) but it would not start.

So I downloaded the manual installer for eset but when I launch it as an administrator, it complains that there is no internet to validate the installer. 

But obviously there is something else since I just downloaded the manual installer from the eset web site.  So I tried going in Windows to disable the Windows Defender firewall (local, network and public), I rebooted and I get the same error when I try to launch the eset installer.

On 2/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, Marcos said:

Please continue as follows:
1, Uninstall ESET
2, Run the ESET Uninstall tool and make sure that it doesn't detect ESET installed, otherwise remove it.
3, Install the latest version 15.0.23 from scratch.

Thank you for helping.

Just before following your suggestion, I tried to uninstall it using the Windows App & Features menu but only the 'Modify' option was present.  I tried it anyway and it gave me an option to repair.  I tried the repair but it complains about not having enough privilege for tons of files so I cancelled.

So I used the uninstall tool in safe mode as suggested in the page you linked.  The product got uninstalled ok.

I then tried the manual install from scratch.  It seemed to install and asked me for my product key.  Then asked for a few privacy and settings questions but at the end it said the installation failed and asked my to run the troubleshooter...

The troubleshooter suggested I reboot and reinstall.  I did and this time I did not enter my product key and the installation worked.

My ratings:

Your support: 10/10

eset update: 0/10 since it cannot update itself without making a mess of itself

eset uninstalling: 5/10 very troublesome

eset installing: 5/10 needs two trials to get it to install

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by virtualpaul

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, virtualpaul said:

Thank you for helping.

Just before following your suggestion, I tried to uninstall it using the Windows App & Features menu but only the 'Modify' option was present.  I tried it anyway and it gave me an option to repair.  I tried the repair but it complains about not having enough privilege for tons of files so I cancelled.

So I used the uninstall tool in safe mode as suggested in the page you linked.  The product got uninstalled ok.

I then tried the manual install from scratch.  It seemed to install and asked me for my product key.  Then asked for a few privacy and settings questions but at the end it said the installation failed and asked my to run the troubleshooter...

The troubleshooter suggested I reboot and reinstall.  I did and this time I did not enter my product key and the installation worked.

My ratings:

Your support: 10/10

eset update: 0/10 since it cannot update itself without making a mess of itself

eset uninstalling: 5/10 very troublesome

eset installing: 5/10 needs two trials to get it to install

Thanks again for your help.

Did you do something specific for it to start crashing/making problems with uninstallation or even with normal usage?

For example like Windows Update etc .. ,  I never had a trouble with ESET installing/updating/uninstalling for example.