Does Eset Software Register And Unregister Correctly In Windows (Security Center)?

rugk

** Problem is maybe solved. See this post **

** Error occured again. See this post **

** Problem solved in this post **

I'm asking this question for troubleshooting a problem with a tool that is using the security state from the Windows' Security Center.

So does ESET register and unregister correctly in Windows (Security Center)?

I'm not only talking about installation and uninstallation, but also if the security status changes.

And if so, are there any issues concerning older versions (like ESS v 6)?

I'm especially referring to the Security Center of Windows 7.

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

Yes, ESET correctly registers to and unregisters from WSC. However, there may be cases when this fails or there's a problem with Windows WMI database when rebuilding the database may be needed.

OK and in what version(s) does ESET this correctly? (according to Windows 7 SC)

Only version 7 or also the earlier versions?

• Administrators

In all versions. To my best knowledge, we haven't had any bug related to WSC. What issue are you having? What is the ESET product / version and operating system?

I have an issue with a software tool that uses the WSC to find out whether the Antivirus is running and if so which modules are active.

• ESS v6 (v 6.0.316.1)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, Service Pack 1 x64

I'm in contact with the developer(s) of this software tool to find out what the problem is and I also can't prove that this isn't a bug in this software tool.

Edited by rugk

I'm not quite sure if this helps. The problem is the following:

Sometimes (e.g. in 2 weeks: 5 minutes at one day and 5 minutes at another day) the software tool reports that the antivirus or spyware protection would be deactivated. This reports look like this:

• 00:01 h: Antivirus deactivated
  • 00:01 h: Antivirus activated
  • 00:02 h: Antivirus deactivated
  • 00:03 h: Antivirus activated
  • 00:05 h: Antivirus deactivated

So there is a "crowd" of this messages, although the user says nothing has changed (ESS icon is has the same color) and of course he also didn't activates or deactivates the antivirus.

And I again repeat that this doesn't have to be a problem in the ESET software, but elsewhere...

Edited by rugk

** SOLVED **

OK I think I know what the problem is. The developer(s) of the software tool where able to reproduce the problem. Here their findings:

ESS 6 sometimes unregisters from the WSC for updating the VSD and reregisters after this. This showed these messages.

But ESS 7 didn't do this anymore. There it's works fine.

Can someone from ESET confirm this?

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...

** UNSOLVED **

Bad news: I have seen this again on a computer with ESS version 8.0.301.3...

I'm going to ask the developers of the software tool whether they can reproduce the problem too.

I will keep you up to date!

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...

The issue is back. (ESS v 8.0.304)

E.g. today morning it showed it again.

Here a translation of the log files:

• Yesterday: VSD update 1798 (20141128) went through without any issues. The log entry after this shows me that in this update some modules were updated too.
  • Today: Because my computer was off it has missed a few updates, so ESS directly updated to VSD 1800 (20141129).
    And directly at this time the software tool showed that the antivirus was deactivated and a few second (or maximal one minute) later again activated.

The update 1801 went fine, but there wasn't any module update.

So can it be that ESS v6 (and maybe older versions too) and ESS v8 unregister from the WSC when installing a module update and reregister after this?

But keep in mind that the WSC at its own doesn't showed anything of this and even ESS always had a normal tray icon.

PS: And about "we haven't had any bug related to WSC" - well... look at how many views this topic has. :)

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...

** SOLVED **

So some time after my last post I can say that it happens quite rarely. After my last post in this topic it had only happened another time on the 2st of December 2014 and then there wasn't anything of this kind.

So maybe it was solved in some kind, so I'm "marking" this thread as solved again. However I will of course watch at this again and if it should happen another time then I will report this here too.

Edited by rugk