my last eset update made that i cant boot anymore

Guest Dennis F

Hello. So since the last Eset update where it told me to reboot my pc. windows doesnt wanna start anymore. it always says an error occurred while booting. also safeboot doesnt work. there probably is not a way to go back one version if i take my harddrive to another pc. so what do i do. just save all important files and reinstall everything again? 

Guest Dennis F
11 minutes ago, itman said:

If you can access Win 10 recovery environment which it appears you can, did you try the Automatic Repair option? This usually fixes most boot issues.

i tried that 2 times but didnt work sadly. tried booting up a few times already and always the same. i also cant access the safety start 

Guest Dennis F

the recovery option doesnt work. i tried it 3 times and i also cant do the safe start or whatever its called. always gives me the message that an error occurred while booting with the :( smiley

I ran into the same problem myself, updated ESET, restarted my computer, now it won't boot due to an "inaccessible boot device" error, and none of the recovery options in Windows worked to do anything. The file Marcos listed is definitely missing, which tracks with how the log from the failed Startup Repair showed a driver was missing. (Which initially confused me because I couldn't remember updating any drivers.)

I fear I might have made things worse trying to fix things as a result since I was clearly chasing the wrong issue; I'm going to have to see what the Dell folks say when I send it in to them.

It's disappointing, I've been happy with your program for years now but it's not reassuring that simply updating it could break my PC this thoroughly.

• Administrators

Do you remember what version you upgraded from? Could you try copying C:\Windows\System32\drivers\edevmon.sys (e.g. from another machine or from the ESET install/drivers folder) after booting the system from another disk?

Is eamonm.sys there and only edevmon.sys is missing?

Do these drivers exist or not?
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers\edevmon\edevmon.sys
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers\eamonm\eamonm.sys

Also please provide C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log.

Guest d3adf1sh

THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!!  I was SO pissed ...  i just finally starting to get back to a normal working environment and all my installed programs are gone all my bookmarks in browssers.  completely lost access to my telegram account,  man i really am pissed plus my eset licence it says is no good and i bought that as a 3 year plan over a year ago.  this is ridiculous.  i'm on win10 and was on all the latest updates.  i glad and also upset it wasn't just me.  this is like 2+ days of my life i'll never get back.

couldn't boot into safe mode or anything.  luckily i keep all my user files on a seperate drive but this is pretty ridiculous

Guest d3adf1sh
3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you remember what version you upgraded from?

mine was from 15.0.22 to 15.0.23 from what i remember.  after trying every option i could multiple times i just did a reset on mine so i doubt any of those old files are still on here.  but i can check anything you want if you think they are there.

Guest de3thf1sh
22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Did you change the product to ESET Antivirus from ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security Premium in the past?

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you remember what version you upgraded from?

no just like normal said it needed to restart to finish an update like it has a million times before.  no big deal. then nothing. it would start to boot windows and hang on the splash screen with the little thing would stop spinning.  never made it to desktop.  have to hard reset after that.  even tried to let it go for like 5 min but it never boot.  there is a windows.old folder incase there's any files you would want me to try to find

Guest de3thf1sh

also my windows version was enterprise 1909  and now it's updated to 21h2  so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

• Administrators

Please answer my questions:

If C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers\edevmon\edevmon.sys exists, please copy it to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. After booting to normal mode, collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

Did you have Device Control integration enabled?

Guest d3adf1sh
58 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Drivers\edevmon\edevmon.sys exists, please copy it to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. After booting to normal mode, collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

are you talking about in windows.old or in the new installation because i already did a nondestructive reset and installed a trial version of eset in the new installation,

or were you talking to everyone in the thread?

edit:  i found the setupapi.dev (txt file) and everything in it is from 1/20 when i think i originally had the problem.  do you want me to post it?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Guest d3adf1sh said:

edit:  i found the setupapi.dev (txt file) and everything in it is from 1/20 when i think i originally had the problem.  do you want me to post it?

Yes, please upload it here. However, you have posted as a guest and I'm not sure if they have permissions to upload files.

3 hours ago, Guest de3thf1sh said:

also my windows version was enterprise 1909  and now it's updated to 21h2  so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

This might significant to this borked boot issue.

Microsoft is currently force updating users of unsupported Win 10 versions to 21H2.

One theory here it was a case of both bad luck and timing. The Win 10 feature update had already been downloaded, silently installed, and awaiting a system restart to be applied. The user did the restart when prompted by the Eset ver. update.

3 hours ago, Guest de3thf1sh said:

I don't think so, I have the regular Home edition and my OS got cranky and refused to have the 21xx update ever work so I was still on whatever the most recent 19xx edition was.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Those files are there, and I personally tried what you suggested but am still getting an "inaccessible Boot Device" error.

Of course I tried a bunch of other things to see if I could fix the problem before narrowing in on this being the original cause, so it's possible I accidentally broke something else on top of it, sigh.

Guest de3thf1sh
7 hours ago, Marcos said:

Yes, please upload it here. However, you have posted as a guest and I'm not sure if they have permissions to upload files.

i had signed up for an account so i sent it to you in a DM.  it's too long of a text file for me to make a screen shot.  if you want to start a regular thread for this issue let me know.  

6 hours ago, Guest Jeysie said:

I don't think so, I have the regular Home edition and my OS got cranky and refused to have the 21xx update ever work so I was still on whatever the most recent 19xx edition was.

Those files are there, and I personally tried what you suggested but am still getting an "inaccessible Boot Device" error.

Of course I tried a bunch of other things to see if I could fix the problem before narrowing in on this being the original cause, so it's possible I accidentally broke something else on top of it, sigh.

i think they may be encrypted system files you may not be able to access through linux or something, but i don't know for sure, just a guess. .  but yeah i was on 1909 too.  i thought the reason mine would never update to the 21h2 because i hadn't updated the bios in a while.  i was still on 1407 on an ASUS TUF X570-plus