Cannot verify digital signature - broken clients

j-gray

We have a handful of Windows 10 devices where ESET is non-functional due to inability to verify digital signatures. These are all 9.0.2x systems.

These are new installs and they are unable to activate, unable to update. Product is 'installed but not running'. Services do not start due to the errors and all remote tasks fail. I'm also unable to manually repair or uninstall the product due to the same errors.

Typical error: 

The ESET Service service failed to start due to the following error:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

These devices get the same Windows and ESET policies as all other Windows devices, so I'm not sure why we're seeing this all of a sudden.

Any help appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, Marcos said:

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector from such troublesome machine for a start.

@Marcos I was finally able to sit at the workstations and find that the ekrn service does not start due to this error. However, uninstall and repair fail due to access denied with the service. I tried to manually delete the service and get the same.

I've collected logs, but after looking through them, I don't see much useful as far as highlighting the issue.