Eset Internet Security slows down windows 10 computer when I copy large amounts of material to my NAS

Good afternoon all,

I'm currently running Internet Security 15.0.21.0 on a windows 10 machine with a 8700k (all cores at 5ghz) and 32gb of ram.

I've had a HDD failure this week, so need to restore 5tb of files from my NAS back to a new drive in my system across my gigabit wired lan.

The transfers (mostly large files of 1gb plus) are running at the max speed of the lan, but my entire computer has become laggy and unresponsive. If I pause ESET protection for a few minutes, everything goes back to normal, so it looks like ESET causing the issue. In task manager it says the ESET service is only using 6-8% of the CPU time and the total use is less than 20%, so nothing is being maxed out apart from the Network speed - so I wonder what I can do to make my computer more usable whilst I restore this material?

• Administrators

You could create a process exclusion for the process that copies the files. If you won't need it excluded, remove the exclusion when finished with copying. What files do you copy? Is it mainly executables, archives, media files or some other type?

Thank you for your reply, all of the files are media files in either .mp4 or .mkv.

In addition to the earlier material that I provided, this doesn't seem to be a memory issue either as the ESET service takes a max of 120mb.

Web browsing or typing is very lethargic at the moment with this transfer taking place and I am almost at the end of this sentence before it has started appearing on the screen in front of me, but as soon as I pause ESET protection I am back to how it should be.

You could try reducing the priority level of the NAS copy task using Process Explorer, etc.. This will result in the copying taking longer to complete, but should reduce the processing load on the system.

Or, do as @Marcos instructed. That is temporarily exclude the NAS copy task from Eset real-time scanning. The risk with this is if malware exists in a file  being copied from the NAS storage. This would be N/A if all copied files were previously scanned by Eset on the source drive they were created on.

• Administrators

Media files should not slow down copying. Does temporarily pausing real-time protection make a difference? Or temporarily adding the target folder to performance exclusions. Or excluding the process copying files as suggested above.