Log4J2 Protection Question

Trooper

• ESET Insiders

Hi everyone,

As per this article, https://support.eset.com/en/alert8188-information-regarding-the-log4j2-vulnerability it states that if we have Network Attack Protection enabled we are protected.  I have that enabled but I do not use the ESET firewall.  See picture here.

I need to know if we are still protected, or do we need to use the ESET firewall in conjunction with Network Attack Protection to be secure for the Log4J2 exploit?

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.b598e479f2266606c992d3f53a43e145.png

An Eset moderator will have to confirm 100% if firewall is required.

Based on what is shown here:

Network attack protection (IDS) – Analyzes the content of network traffic and protects from network attacks. Any traffic which is considered harmful will be blocked. ESET Endpoint Security will inform you when you connect to an unprotected wireless network or a network with weak protection.

https://help.eset.com/ees/9/en-US/idh_config_epfw_ids_rules.html?idh_page_epfw_settings.html

My opinion based on the above is the firewall is required. Note what I underlined. That protection is based on Network Inspection processing which is part of the Eset firewall protection.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

Thanks to you both.  Now how can I setup notifications to be notified of this on an endpoint and/or server?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Trooper said:

In addition, would there be a way to test the notification?  Thanks.

You would have to simulate an actual attack to get a notification about security vulnerability exploitation attempt.

• ESET Insiders
18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You would have to simulate an actual attack to get a notification about security vulnerability exploitation attempt.

Got you.  Do you know what specific notification would need to be enabled on the endpoint?