ESET BPP & 1password

Go to solution Solved by nanat,

Is ESET BPP preventing the use of the 1password extension/add-on in Firefox (my default browser)??  It was working but now isn't and can't seem to add the current 1password add-on.  Found years-old discussions that this was the case but nothing recent.  Is this still an ESET problem?

Rather defeats the benefit of using BPP if I can't use our password manager - will have to resort to not using the BPP.  How do I get this to work so I can have the safety of ESET BPP and 1password?

Windows10 PC

• Administrators

If the 1Password extension was whitelisted before, it has probably updated in the mean time. Please report it via a ticket. You can enable "Secure all browsers" setting which will enable you to control what extensions are loaded.

• ESET Insiders

They haven''t released the module even to the pre release stage yet. Not sure why

If you enable Secure All browsers, the 1Password extension is allowed to load. As a temp fix/work around.

Edited by NewbyUser

• Administrators

BPP module 1252 has not been fully released yet. After it's been fully released, we'll prepare 1253 either immediately or with some delay if further changes will be needed, such as new browser versions support.

• Most Valued Members

Just wondering if it would work for to have a way for users to whitelist extensions themselves meaning even if a new version comes out there shouldn't be an issue. Only problem could be if the extension gets compromised 

• ESET Staff
18 hours ago, NewbyUser said:

They haven''t released the module even to the pre release stage yet. Not sure why

There is some release process. You also don't want to pay for updates like "just minor quick fix, doesn't need to be tested".

13 hours ago, peteyt said:

Just wondering if it would work for to have a way for users to whitelist extensions themselves meaning even if a new version comes out there shouldn't be an issue. Only problem could be if the extension gets compromised 

Current solution is resistant against new versions of already whitelisted extensions. In this case, 1Password released next FF version with new extension ID.

This days we actively discuss about topic you mentioned.

• ESET Insiders
15 minutes ago, constexpr said:

There is some release process. You also don't want to pay for updates like "just minor quick fix, doesn't need to be tested".

Current solution is resistant against new versions of already whitelisted extensions. In this case, 1Password released next FF version with new extension ID.

This days we actively discuss about topic you mentioned.

Then don’t tell customers there is a fix and not provide access to said solution. That’s rather poor customer service. 

• ESET Staff
1 minute ago, NewbyUser said:

Then don’t tell customers there is a fix and not provide access to said solution. That’s rather poor customer service. 

Agree. Also a good news (fast fix + no need to create ticket) may be told better.

• ESET Insiders
3 hours ago, constexpr said:

There is some release process. You also don't want to pay for updates like "just minor quick fix, doesn't need to be tested"

As someone that's almost always using your pre release, and even pre pre release insider versions, Eset products are typically remarkably stable in my experience, for the most part. :)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, NewbyUser said:

As someone that's almost always using your pre release, and even pre pre release insider versions, Eset products are typically remarkably stable in my experience, for the most part. :)

That's correct. 99% the very same modules on the pre-release update channel are then released to all users and we rarely need to fix anything first. Honestly I don't recollect ever releasing a module on the pre-release channel that would cause stability issues or bigger problems than the version already released to all users.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, NewbyUser said:

We didn't tell that a solution was available. The developer used future tense:
it will work from BPP module 1253.

I guess it was a misunderstanding of "it was fixed". Yes, it was indeed fixed in the code but the second part of the sentence was telling that it will be available in a next version of the module. ESET staff (typically developers) that replies in this forum besides moderators may not have experience with how to formulate replies precisely to avoid possible confusion so please bear with them. Moreover, they are not native English speakers.

• ESET Insiders

Module 1253 has been released and the 1Password extension works in Firefox. As does Keeper as an aside.

2022-01-06.png

Edited by NewbyUser
Spelling, format

how do I know if I now have Module 1253 of BPP?  As of now ESET says its fully updated but I am unable to install the extension in the BPP browser window.  The current 1password extension is installed (and works) in the "regular" browser.  If I run all browsers in secure mode the installed 1password extension continues to work.

thanks - so my screen shows BPP module 1251 12/17/2021 yet the main screen says I'm up to date.  How do I ensure all modules are updated / kept up to date??  Or has module 1253 not been fully released yet?

and see this link on Mozilla (I am OP) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1363414#answer-1472275 

• ESET Insiders

I'm not sure what the current release version is, I'm still on pre release updates.

You can't change anything else about what updates you receive other than regular or pre release. You could clear the update cache in advanced settings, which should get you the latest modules of whichever setting your using.

Edited by NewbyUser

18 minutes ago, nanat said:

thanks - so my screen shows BPP module 1251 12/17/2021 yet the main screen says I'm up to date.  How do I ensure all modules are updated / kept up to date??  Or has module 1253 not been fully released yet?

and see this link on Mozilla (I am OP) https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1363414#answer-1472275 

You need to switch to pre-release updating to get ver. 1254 of Banking & Payment Protection module.

• ESET Insiders

And which version of 1PW and it's extension are you using? That could be a factor too. I'm not having any issues with the latest beta version for Win10 and version 2.1.4 of the FF add on.

If you don't use it the beta 1PW versions can be found here;

https://releases.1password.com/windows/beta/

Edited by NewbyUser

• Solution

yahoo!  it finally works!  thanks!  my BPP module currently shows as 1256. 

I removed "secure all browsers" option from ESET, closed browser and rebooted.  Opened browser and then BPP and installed 1password add-on/extension in BPP (no more "corrupt" warning).  So far all is working well!

it really shouldn't be this hard...