Firefox browser problem when using eset

35 minutes ago, itman said:

There is also an issue with the search results you are receiving from Google search.

In regards to crackpropc.com, you show this result:

Screenshot 2022-02-06 002547.png

However, my result shows:

Eset_CrackPro.thumb.png.367c0c2ea30913e59b0ae743bdc49379.png

Plus, what is rendered for one sub-link is corrupted as I highlighted in red.

Either Google search has somehow been corrupted within your Firefox installation, or something is interfering with the search results you are receiving from Google.

After thinking a bit about it ... I think that the problem does not need all this trouble to prove that it exists. Who will be harmed if the malicious sites do not respond when you click on them from the Google search results?
If this problem bothers any other user, they can open a support ticket, as Marcos said .

Thank you very much @itman for your kind cooperation .

2 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

Who will be harmed if the malicious sites do not respond when you click on them from the Google search results?

Do you have any other ad blocking extensions, AdGuard, or other like software installed? If like software is installed, does it interactively alert you when URL access is blocked?

It is possible such software is silently blocking URL access. This would give the appearance of URL access from Google search results not responding.

A good example here is Eset's URL block list in Web Access protection. Unless you specify "Notify when applying" option, access is just silently blocked.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

@Nightowl I appreciate your opinion and your words a lot but I am looking for the most effective way either for my own benefit or for the benefit of everyone here, of course I know that eset will not be affected by my stopping using their products or even stopping helping with my reports, but I tried to do my best to help, and I find my efforts unwelcome anymore, why should I stay and go on with it ?

I believe every big company in the size of ESET or another , will have a procedure to make in terms of reporting or support or whatever , they need to move step by step , unless it is urgent bug or vulnerability then they will act with a hot fix like any other company

With ESET being so sensitive about False-Positives , they tend to request all these samples to be sent using tickets or using the official form so they can go to the right hands and get analyzed properly , in the Forum I believe not many ESET staff work here or look as much as there are for Support Tickets , for example once you send to a support ticket , if there was ESET Egypt , then you would be redirected to Egypt's support and not Slovakia/US etc.. that would balance the pressure on the support agents.

Nevermind that is only my imagination , but I think still ESET appreciates that you help them with missing variants or detection not working properly , but I guess it's due to hundrends if not thousands of people send them missing detection or bugs or problems , it would be hard to re-act very fast to them and would require more time digging it and see what causes this.

But I understand your point , that you report a problem and then you have to clarify it a lot to make the other side understand you , but I am sure everyone appreciate your efforts here.

• Administrators

Please do the following:
- close Firefox
- enable advanced protocol filtering logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup
- launch Firefox
- search for the term in incognito mode (do not click Open link in new tab)
- stop logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

• Administrators

You can upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. and drop me a private message with a download link.

Also if you have access to more computers, are you able to reproduce it on any or only on some of them? Or it's reproducible only on this one ?

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can upload it to Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. and drop me a private message with a download link.

Sorry for the delay, I just sent it to you .

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Also if you have access to more computers, are you able to reproduce it on any or only on some of them? Or it's reproducible only on this one ?

I verified the problem on 25 devices before I sent you a personal message (Windows 7 - 8.1 - 10) (EIS - ESSP) and the problem was confirmed on all of those devices, unfortunately, I can't collect logs from those devices or even continue joint cooperation with Owners of those devices or with eset .

I told these customers that in case they have a complaint or a problem, they should follow the only official method that you told me, which is to open a support ticket. From now on, I am not an eset customer and I cannot provide assistance.

I am cooperating with you now in appreciation of the period in which the cooperation was good between us, but after submitting the logs that I collected today, unfortunately, I do not have anything I can do to help.

I am proud to have used eset products over the past year, I am also proud of the help I have provided to improve your products even if my help is not a big thing, 
and finally I am proud that many people have bought and used eset products based on my advice.

Thank you very much, it was a great experience.

Screenshot 2022-02-07 145009.png

5 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

To clarify what is happening in the video, in case it is not clear enough .

I tried enabling/disabling various Firefox settings to no avail. Every time Eset alerted.

This gets us to Eset's Web Access protection; namely Protocol filtering. Eset's Protocol filtering uses the built-in Windows Filtering Platform. There are other third party security solutions that also by default, use the Windows Filtering Platform. An example is the installed version of Adguard. And, it does indeed conflict with Eset. Adguard's WFP use must be disabled and, use of its mini-filter network adapter driver be selected instead.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

I tried enabling/disabling various Firefox settings to no avail. Every time Eset alerted.

This gets us to Eset's Web Access protection; namely Protocol filtering. Eset's Protocol filtering uses the built-in Windows Filtering Platform. There are other third party security solutions that also by default, use the Windows Filtering Platform. An example is the installed version of Adguard. And, it does indeed conflict with Eset. Adguard's WFP use must be disabled and, use of its mini-filter network adapter driver be selected instead.

Regarding the AdGuard WFP network driver, it didn't cause any problems for the duration of my use of eset, the only problem I had was a conflict between AdGuard Browsing Security and ESET Web Access protection and disabling AdGuard Browsing Security was enough to solve the problem.

Knowing that not all of the devices I mentioned above use AdGuard and this makes me rule out that the problem is due to the AdGuard WFP network driver.

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's happening to me now after installing Adguard.

Ok I will try again on a virtual machine (clean install)

AdGuard.png

23 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's happening to me now after installing Adguard.

16 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

Ok I will try again on a virtual machine (clean install)

The problem disappeared after completely uninstalling AdGuard, but it's confusing to me, I'm sure that some of the devices I tried it on did not have AdGuard installed in the first place !, Also, the problem only occurs in Firefox.

AdGuard_2.png

50 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

The problem disappeared after completely uninstalling AdGuard, but it's confusing to me, I'm sure that some of the devices I tried it on did not have AdGuard installed in the first place !, Also, the problem only occurs in Firefox.

I have noticed some recent changes in Firefox in regards to Eset.

In the past, I observed that Eset was not injecting a .dll in Firefox's sandboxed child  processes. Eset is now doing so. Might be related.

In any case, the Adguard angle; i.e Windows Filtering Platform conflict, appears "to be bearing fruit" on this issue.

BTW - I posted about this Adguard conflict with Eset previously in the forum. Here's AdGuard's KB article for reference: https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solving-problems/wfp-driver

Edited by itman

Since Malwarebytes for example has an article on WFP conflicts, time Eset did likewise:

Malwarebytes Web Protection blocks traffic from domains and IP addresses that could infect your device with threats like trojans, potentially unwanted programs, and viruses. When Web Protection and a third-party application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) are enabled on your device, the following issues may occur:

• blue screen of death (BSoD)
  • loss of Internet
  • loss of the third-party application's functions

These issues occur because both applications are using the WFP. You must either disable your third-party application or the Web Protection feature.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194-Issues-running-other-security-applications-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows

Bottom line - WFP conflicts could occur in Eset with any security product which is likewise deploying it resulting in both products being borked.

Edited by itman

47 minutes ago, itman said:

Bottom line - WFP conflicts could occur in Eset with any security product which is likewise deploying it resulting in both products being borked.

For me the problem is that even if AdGuard and all its services are closed, the problem does not disappear, even when the AdGuard WFP network driver is also disabled, the problem remains.

Speaking of other security products and the conflict between AdGuard WFP network driver with them, I have now tried Kaspersky with Firefox and AdGuard and did not encounter the same problem, which makes me wonder if eset can find a solution to this problem? .. Especially since it is a recent problem, I have used eset with Firefox and AdGuard all year past without problems.

35 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

Speaking of other security products and the conflict between AdGuard WFP network driver with them, I have now tried Kaspersky with Firefox and AdGuard and did not encounter the same problem, which makes me wonder if eset can find a solution to this problem?

Given this very long list: https://support.kaspersky.com/15517#block1 of apps that Kaspersky Total Security is incompatible with and the fact that AdGuard is not listed, I assume that KTS is not using the Windows Filtering Platform.

Or perhaps because KTS and AdGuard are both Russian based apps .........................

Edited by itman

36 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

makes me wonder if eset can find a solution to this problem?

Eset in its earlier versions used a mini-port network adapter driver.

It abandoned it in favor of WFP because Microsoft is constantly altering Windows network stack processing. Each of these revisions caused Eset's driver to get borked in some fashion.

Edited by itman

12 minutes ago, itman said:

Given this very long list

I don't think a home user would be upset if KTS is not compatible with one of those programs mentioned in the list, most of them are programs that even if they are compatible with KTS, not many people will want to use them, unlike the number of people who use AdGuard .

Knowing that eset has also been working fine with AdGuard for a long time,
I also think that the problem is not complicated, or even if this problem is not resolved, users will not be affected much.
But could things get worse in the future?

47 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

Especially since it is a recent problem, I have used eset with Firefox and AdGuard all year past without problems.

Refer to this posting: https://forum.eset.com/topic/16066-112490-causes-netiosys-bsod-on-win10/ from 2018.

Also in this thread note posted links to issues with Kaspersky and Adguard.

Edited by itman

5 minutos atrás, AZ Tech disse:

Eu não acho que um usuário doméstico ficaria chateado se o KTS não for compatível com um desses programas mencionados na lista, a maioria deles são programas que, mesmo que sejam compatíveis com o KTS, muitas pessoas não vão querer usá-los, ao contrário o número de pessoas que usam o AdGuard .

Sabendo que o eset também funciona bem com o AdGuard há muito tempo,
Também acho que o problema não é complicado, ou mesmo se esse problema não for resolvido, os usuários não serão muito afetados.
Mas as coisas podem piorar no futuro?

1- Now let's wait for the correction by which of the two companies? Eset or Aduard?
2- Probably one will tell the other that the problem is with her. That's the end user who gets screwed.

If one wants to use Adguard with Eset, there are non-conflicting ways to do so. They also won't cost you.

1. Use Adguard browser extension.

2. Add AdGuard lists to uBlock Origin ad blocker fllter lists.

Edited by itman