Firefox browser problem when using eset

• Administrators

Thanks for the heads-up. I see that it was a 3rd party phishing FP which was automatically resolved after several minutes.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/b1d5fef9f7b900d8fec281dce088ffada06850ec8b6efe90541516828c7d4c3a?nocache=1

0 / 93

• 1 month later...

@Marcos There is another problem with Firefox browser, which I explained to you in detail yesterday in a personal message, please check it .

• Administrators

Please do not report issues via personal messages but post them in a new topic in the appropriate product subforum so that other users can read, post their experience and also that other ESET staff can react. For the time being I'm posting it here but please create a new topic to discuss it there:

There is a problem in Firefox browser, all the sites listed in the blacklist when I click on them on the Google search page, the site does not respond, “does not open”, but when I try to open the same site in a new tab, it responds.
Example :
From the Firefox browser, search for “ocean of games” in Google, when you click on the site “in the search results” it does not respond “the warning page does not appear that the site is malicious”, now try to open the same link in a new tab “it will work”.

First of all, try clearing browser's cache by refreshing the blocked website by pressing Crtl+F5. For me it worked.

In the new topic include information if disabling any of the protection features make a difference. If not, provide information if temporarily uninstalling ESET makes a difference and if reinstalling it using default settings re-introduces the issue.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

First of all, try clearing browser's cache by refreshing the blocked website by pressing Crtl+F5. For me it worked.

For me, it didn't work, I even installed eset and Firefox "clean install" on a virtual machine and the problem persists, any suggestions?

Also, do I have to create a new topic? What information should I provide in it given what has been clarified so far?

• Administrators

I would recommend to continue to troubleshoot the issue by opening a support ticket with your local ESET distributor. It will be necessary to start with narrowing it down to the particular protection feature or driver if the issue goes away after uninstalling ESET and returns after installing it with default settings. A support ticket is the only official way of reporting an issue to ESET which ensures that you will receive a timely response; it is not that we would treat you differently than other users.

As for reporting suspicious or malicious urls, feel free to submit them to samples[at]eset.com to ensure that they are tracked and processed even if I'm not available.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

From the Firefox browser, search for “ocean of games” in Google, when you click on the site “in the search results” it does not respond “the warning page does not appear that the site is malicious”, now try to open the same link in a new tab “it will work”.

First, there are multiple different URLs associated with this:

Eset_Games.thumb.png.ac7378d482462a52feb49e8e394c5f4a.png

I openned the first three links above and had no issue accessing them using latest vers. of Firefox and ESSP.

Edited by itman

14 minutes ago, itman said:

First, there are multiple different URLs associated with this:

It happens with any site blacklisted by eset, for "ocean of games" was just an example.

Screenshot 2022-02-05 182645.png

Edited by AZ Tech

37 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I would recommend to continue to troubleshoot the issue by opening a support ticket with your local ESET distributor. It will be necessary to start with narrowing it down to the particular protection feature or driver if the issue goes away after uninstalling ESET and returns after installing it with default settings. A support ticket is the only official way of reporting an issue to ESET which ensures that you will receive a timely response; it is not that we would treat you differently than other users.

As for reporting suspicious or malicious urls, feel free to submit them to samples[at]eset.com to ensure that they are tracked and processed even if I'm not available.

Thanks, you are absolutely right, I have been enjoyed my use of eset over the past year.

Of course I'm no better than any other user to be treated differently "we are all the same" and of course personal messages were the quickest way to respond to the many reports of suspicious and malicious samples/urls etc. , they weren't meant for anything else ! , It was also welcomed by you "It seems that the situation has changed and I have no problem with that." .

Thanks.

4 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

It happens with any site blacklisted by eset, for "ocean of games" was just an example.

Again, I don't see any problem with Eset.

For a test, go to wicar.org web site. Eset will throw an alert on any test on that web site.

Prior to accessing wicar.org, temporarily disable Google Safe Browsing in Firefox so it doesn't get in the way. You should see this alert:

Eset_Wicar.thumb.png.8369e2eeffb973970666924070634c79.png

• ESET Insiders

Same here, when you search for "ocean of games" for example then left click on search results on Firefox, nothing happen, and no message from ESET

On Chrome it open the site on new tab with ESET alert

Also Eset phishing protection isn't "bulletproof."

Here's one: hxxps://irs-contact-payments.com/home recently added and verified today at PhishTank web site. Google Safe Browsing caught it. Eset did not.

Now here's one: hxxxps://web-privacy-app.com/ added about 4+ hours ago. Eset did detect this one.

These results parallel my previous test results. Eset needs a few hours to update its phishing blacklist.

Edited by itman

41 minutes ago, itman said:

Again, I don't see any problem with Eset.

For a test, go to wicar.org web site. Eset will throw an alert on any test on that web site.

Prior to accessing wicar.org, temporarily disable Google Safe Browsing in Firefox so it doesn't get in the way. You should see this alert:

Again I know that if you go directly to one of the links that are blacklisted by eset everything will work fine and the site will be blocked with the warning, I know this very well.

The problem is that if you try to enter one of those sites from Google search results only then the problem I am talking about will occur.

Knowing that I've tried it on more than one device and I'm sure it's a general problem, however Marcos deliberately ignores me, I think my problem with @Marcos actually started since I reported ChromeSetup.exe

In any case, due to the ill-treatment and deliberate lack of assistance and my feeling that I am an unwelcome person by eset, and due to the lack of appreciation for my efforts and the hundreds of malicious links and samples that I have reported in the past months, for me this is completely unacceptable and accordingly after a few days my license will expire, and I will going to move to Kaspersky because they have never treated me this badly in 5 years of using their products.

With all thanks and appreciation.

34 minutes ago, BALTAGY said:

Same here, when you search for "ocean of games" for example then left click on search results on Firefox, nothing happen, and no message from ESET

I agree, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

How funny it is to be asked to open a support ticket when I report a general issue, so clear to me that Marcos is intentionally ignoring me and not helping !
I have no problem with that in case I am not a welcome person by eset, there are other vendors !! ...this is not the end of the world .

5 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

Screenshot 2022-02-05 182645.png

Note that the search result was returned in HTTP format. This is significant.

If I override FireFox HTTPS everywhere setting, Eset blocks the HTTP web site:

Eset_Oceans.thumb.png.79b59abfe6423f0a2214fcab27f9606e.png

My best guess at this point is whatever is malicious about this URL and related ones is not rendering in HTTPS.

9 minutes ago, itman said:

Note that the search result was returned in HTTP format. This is significant.

If I override FireFox HTTPS everywhere setting, Eset blocks the HTTP web site:

Eset_Oceans.thumb.png.79b59abfe6423f0a2214fcab27f9606e.png

My best guess at this point is whatever is malicious about this URL and related ones is not rendering in HTTPS.

Try to open this site from Google search results, please  "left click on search result"

Screenshot 2022-02-06 002547.png

4 minutes ago, AZ Tech said:

Try to open this site from Google search results, please  "left click on search result"

Upon access from Google search results link:

Eset_Crack.thumb.png.1f419d9efa971be48817cbd4da48f46d.png

7 minutes ago, itman said:

Upon access from Google search results link:

For me, when I click on the site in the search results, this does not happen ! The browser does not respond to mouse clicks at all ! And of course, I tried it on more than one device, including a clean install on a virtual machine !
This is what happens here too :

1 hour ago, BALTAGY said:

Therefore, I do not think that it is a problem specific to my device only, even if not all users face, but it is a problem faced by more than one user .

1 hour ago, AZ Tech said:

For me, when I click on the site in the search results, this does not happen ! The browser does not respond to mouse clicks at all

Is your default search engine in Firefox set to Google?

It is possible your Firefox installation is corrupted. Also, uninstalling Firefox does not remove one's existing profile. It must be manually removed prior to reinstalling Firefox.

There is a problem in Firefox browser, all the sites listed in the blacklist when I click on them on the Google search page, the site does not respond, “does not open”, but when I try to open the same site in a new tab, it responds.

Disable New Tab Page Activity

In case you have enabled browser.newtabpage.activity from your Firefox browser then you may have issues while searching. So, you have to disable the option from the Firefox settings to solve this problem. Here are the steps to disable new tab page activity manually.

https://onlinehelpguide.com/why-is-firefox-google-search-not-working/

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, AZ Tech said:

I agree, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

How funny it is to be asked to open a support ticket when I report a general issue, so clear to me that Marcos is intentionally ignoring me and not helping !
I have no problem with that in case I am not a welcome person by eset, there are other vendors !! ...this is not the end of the world .

I believe Marcos asked you to contact support via a ticket so the problem can be tracked and not get lost in the forum and one of the support representative can actually help you with the problem or connect a developer for it if it was a serious one/bug , I think ESET appreciate your help here by sending missed examples.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, tommy456 said:

Site loads from a search for me, ? using duck duck go  search engine

Seems you opened an incorrect website.

We block hxxp://oceanofgames.com but you opened hxxps://oceansofgamess.com.
Of note is that there are also other sites https://oceanofgamese.com/ and https://oceanof-games.com which are not blocked either.

There is also an issue with the search results you are receiving from Google search.

In regards to crackpropc.com, you show this result:

Screenshot 2022-02-06 002547.png

However, my result shows:

Eset_CrackPro.thumb.png.367c0c2ea30913e59b0ae743bdc49379.png

Plus, what is rendered for one sub-link is corrupted as I highlighted in red.

Either Google search has somehow been corrupted within your Firefox installation, or something is interfering with the search results you are receiving from Google.

10 hours ago, Nightowl said:

I believe Marcos asked you to contact support via a ticket so the problem can be tracked and not get lost in the forum and one of the support representative can actually help you with the problem or connect a developer for it if it was a serious one/bug , I think ESET appreciate your help here by sending missed examples.

Unfortunately, I am not one of the users who have a problem every long time, or they may not face problems at all due to the nature of their work or use, as for me, I can send dozens of reports daily, also the nature of my work is different from any traditional home user.
And of course opening a support ticket for each problem is not effective at all, even sending reports related to suspicious and malicious samples/urls etc. Via samples[at]eset.com, it didn't work due to the very slow response, and this basically prompted me to deal directly with Marcos .

@Nightowl I appreciate your opinion and your words a lot but I am looking for the most effective way either for my own benefit or for the benefit of everyone here, of course I know that eset will not be affected by my stopping using their products or even stopping helping with my reports, but I tried to do my best to help, and I find my efforts unwelcome anymore, why should I stay and go on with it ?

eset is not the only option for protection, without which I will not be able to protect my device !, as for the protection of my personal device, today I received my Kaspersky license. As for eset, I actually wished to continue with them, but it will not work that way, unfortunately.

As for @Marcos, I hope that you will accept my apology, believe me, I did not mean any inconvenience through direct communication with you, I was just looking for the fastest and most effective way, I apologize .

Screenshot-2022-02-05-210909.png