ESET Protect On-Premise: Server is timing out intermittently

I have the ESET Protect virtual appliance running in our environment on ESXi and I am having severe performance issues. I am constantly pinging the server and the response time is good but the server times out frequently for periods of time and the web interface becomes unresponsive.

While connected to the ESXi hypervisor and using the client and in the command line looking at the server I run 'top' and look at the processes and it isn't apparent what is causing the issue. No processes have high CPU or RAM usage when pings are timing out

The VM is assigned 6GB RAM, 4 CPU cores, 64GB SSD storage, 1000/1000mbps NIC.

We have 36 devices assigned.

ESET Protect version:
ESET Rogue Detection Sensor 1.1.615.1
ESET Management Agent 9.0.2141.0
ESET PROTECT Server 9.0.2144.0

I have attached 3 screenshots of the server performance report, system info, and a screenshot of top while pings are timing out.

top_pings.PNG

server_info.PNG

server_performance.PNG

I have submitted a support ticket and haven't heard back yet. Figured I would post on here for additional exposure and to post a solution for anyone else running into this issue.

Update on the issue. I am pinging another VM on the same ESXi host as the ESET Protect server and I am not seeing anything timing out. However when I ping the gateway (FortiGate) on the same subnet, separate from the ESXi host, I am seeing timeouts.

Might be an issue with the ESXi network.

I am going to dedicate one of the ESXi hosts physical NIC's to only the ESET Protect VM and see what happens. 

Edited by qroberts

Issue seems to be resolved now. I dedicated one of the NIC's by creating a new vSwitch on the ESXi host and assigning it to the ESET Protect server. Will reply if I experience more issues.

Still seeing some timeouts but not nearly as frequent nor are there multiple timeouts at the same time. It is workable like this but I still think there is an underlying cause on the ESET Protect VM itself

Edited by qroberts

• ESET Staff

Would it be possible to check those "ping" from inside of appliance itself to possibly exclude network or firewall issues? Otherwise It would be hard to guess what could be wrong, but in case service is stable (i.e. that is is not crashing or something like that), I would guess that it is either network or firewall related. Not sure how checks are made, but it is possible that standard iptables firewall as present and enabled in appliance is blocking repeated attempts - but that would be probably case only in case very aggressive checks...

Otherwise only suspicious in your screenshots are free RAM graphs, which indicates there is something with huge memory consumption, but hard to guess. Also in "top" output, I do not see main PROTECT service (executable named ERASever) so was it actually running? Could you verify it's uptime is as expected? Maybe it is indeed crashing due to huge memory consumption - unfortunately we are aware of a network "leak", which might be triggered during those availability checks -> it would be visible by slow memory consumption growth and leaking of sockets from the operating system.

• Administrators
On 12/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, qroberts said:

I have submitted a support ticket and haven't heard back yet.

I'd like to investigate this since you should not wait several days for the initial response. Please provide me with your ticket ID.

• 3 weeks later...

Was there ever any resolution to this? We have similar issues with our Console. We will frequently get Time outs when trying to authenticate to the console and we also have to reboot the console frequently to get Agents checking in. However its not all the time.

1 minute ago, Bill Lyons said:

Was there ever any resolution to this? We have similar issues with our Console. We will frequently get Time outs when trying to authenticate to the console and we also have to reboot the console frequently to get Agents checking in. However its not all the time.

Hey @Bill Lyons,

After I dedicated a NIC to the ESET Protect vm the timeouts became almost a non-issue. We are still getting timeouts but they aren't really impacting our environment as they once did when the NIC was shared with multiple vm's.