Migrating from ELA to an Eset Business account

Ryan O
Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

Are their any write-ups detailing the steps migrating from ELA to an Eset Business Account? I wanted to know how long it takes, how seamless it is/isn't and its impact on attached devices.

For example, if I follow the steps to enroll our (500) current licenses in a new Eset Business account, will I have to change the licenses currently in use in my Eset Protect server for all of those attached devices (and reactivate all of our devices with this new license)?

Thanks for your time.

• ESET Staff

Hello @Ryan O

Just the additional info - you can migrate licenses from ELA to EBA while at the same time you can decide whether your devices should be intact or deactivated. Find step-by-step guideline here.

I just would like to make sure about one thing - by "(500) current licenses" - do you mean 500 seats/units or 500 individual licenses (license owners)? If the second is your case, than the migration of all 500 licenses could be little tricky, because:

• you need to process the migration manually 500 times by which you need to know and enter 500 license passwords
  • if the license you would like to migrate will be not registered to the same email which you will use for EBA account then this license will need to be verified by license owner (system sends email to license owner to verify that his/her license will be managed by other EBA account). If all your licenses are registered to 500 different email addresses, then you need to process this 500 times.

Let me please know, if this is your case or if you have more questions. 

Edited by emilota

6 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @Ryan O,

in the following weeks we want to finalize the details of how exactly the migration will be conducted and we will share the info during Q1 2022

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks. Do you think they'll be out by beginning/early March by any chance?

I ask as our licenses expire March 12th. I figure if I have to renew the licenses anyway.. might as well switch to the new way licenses are handled (Eset Business Account) at that point. Hopefully some further documentation will be out by then.

2 hours ago, emilota said:

Hello @Ryan O

Just the additional info - you can migrate licenses from ELA to EBA while at the same time you can decide whether your devices should be intact or deactivated. Find step-by-step guideline here.

I just would like to make sure about one thing - by "(500) current licenses" - do you mean 500 seats/units or 500 individual licenses (license owners)? If the second is your case, than the migration of all 500 licenses could be little tricky, because:

• you need to process the migration manually 500 times by which you need to know and enter 500 license passwords
  • if the license you would like to migrate will be not registered to the same email which you will use for EBA account then this license will need to be verified by license owner (system sends email to license owner to verify that his/her license will be managed by other EBA account). If all your licenses are registered to 500 different email addresses, then you need to process this 500 times.

Let me please know, if this is your case or if you have more questions. 

Greetings Emilota,

Ah, I was referring to the former, 500 seat/units. Sorry for the confusion.

Also thanks for the link. If I don't see any other migration documentation by the time I have to update our licenses in March, then this'll come in handy.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

@Peter Randziak you mentioned previously: "in the following weeks we want to finalize the details of how exactly the migration will be conducted and we will share the info during Q1 2022".

I wanted to check in. Do you have migration documentation going from ELA to an Eset Business account yet?

Edited by Ryan O

• ESET Moderators

Hello @Ryan O,

I checked it internally and I was told that it is still in progress, but we should have more info in upcoming weeks.

So I hope there will by info available by the end of promised Q1 2022...

Peter

As I couldn't wait, I went through the migration process from ELA > Eset Business Account. I'll admit it was a lot easier to do then I thought/expected. The only thing that momentarily threw me was finding my "license owner" password but I was able to reset that in ELA to proceed. All in all, the whole process was pretty easy/smooth. Turns out I didn't even need migration documentation. :)

• ESET Staff

Thank you for your update @Ryan O

Out of curiosity - was the process you did the following: 

1. Created a new EBA account
  2. Added your existing license there (for that you need license key and ELA license owner password) - this one you reset using ELA (screenshots below). 
  3. Once the license was added, it "disappeared" from ELA, and all activated devices were "moved" (you see them in EBA, the same way as you saw them in EBA, correct)? 

forgotten password 1.jpgforgotten password 2.jpg

Edited by MichalJ

Hi @MichalJ,

Yep those are the steps I followed (and the screenshot is indeed showing where/how I reset the password). The only thing I didn't do is check ELA to make sure the licenses aren't showing in there, but they did port over to our Eset protect server. After I added the new EBA license, I removed the ELA one we had on there. I expected I'd need to run a task to run a new activate task to update their license info on the clients.. but they all appear to have gotten their license already, showing they're good until 2023.

My guess is it seems like they're treating the EBA license as the same license as the ELA license that they all had. In any case, it was pretty smooth. Thanks. :)

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Thanks for the response @Ryan O ELA to EBA migration does not "affect" the activation state of the endpoint. Once the endpoint is activated, it would retain the licensing info regardless of the activation method (activated by license key directly, or via EBA account / ELA account (directly, or via ESET PROTECT). Glad to hear your experience was smooth.