Is there upgrade path for Endpoint Security 9.x

Ufoto
Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

Hello,

I am preparing few environments for upgrade to Endpoint Security 9 and I noticed something strange. Clients running the previous version of the product (8.1.2031.0) list only 8.1.2037.2 as Latest Application Version when you click on installed applications. While clients on 8.1.2037.2 display version 9 as latest version.

This makes me wonder - is there any compatibility issue I might not be aware of? Can we safely upgrade 8.1.2031 clients to version 9 directly, or do we have to upgrade them to 8.1.2037.2 first? I guess this is just a visualization problem, however I wanted to be sure before I start upgrading production environments. 

I'm seeing the same thing and have the same question, though I'm seeing more mixed results.

Versions 8.0.x also show 8.1.2037.2 as the latest application. However, we have some random old 7.x versions that pop up online and they show version 9.0.232.2 as the latest available application version.

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately we have identified this glitch in our version check functionality and possible resolution is in progress. Issues is tied to fact that those few problematic versions currently offer two methods of upgrade:

• either full upgrade to latest version as currently release, i.e. using MSI installers
  • so called auto-upgrade of product, which uses different mechanisms with much smaller impact on traffic. Unfortunately such update package was not released for 9.0 yet

and unfortunately version check currently evaluates latest version using second method. This should be happening only for specific older versions - once they are updated, version check should also change and start reporting latest version (9.0).

14 hours ago, MartinK said:

Unfortunately we have identified this glitch in our version check functionality and possible resolution is in progress. Issues is tied to fact that those few problematic versions currently offer two methods of upgrade:

• either full upgrade to latest version as currently release, i.e. using MSI installers
  • so called auto-upgrade of product, which uses different mechanisms with much smaller impact on traffic. Unfortunately such update package was not released for 9.0 yet

and unfortunately version check currently evaluates latest version using second method. This should be happening only for specific older versions - once they are updated, version check should also change and start reporting latest version (9.0).

Thanks for the reply, but I don't entirely understand. Does this mean that if using EP Console upgrade task for those problem versions we can't jump directly to version 9 and we have to do an incremental upgrade?

So for example, any 8.1.2031.0 client has to be upgraded to 8.1.2037.2 before we can upgrade it to version 9?

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

No, you can upgrade straight away. The only issue is in our internal reporting mechanism, when it shows different "latest" version for applications previously upgraded / installed via "software install task" and different versions for applications upgraded via "micro PCU / Auto Updates" functionality.