I just tried out the free trial without credit card

So yes, I wanna ask about what will happen after the trial ends, does it automatically renew the license and charge, or does it just disable itself and that's it? I'm having a very urgent issue rn and need to scan my PC, but I don't intend to use it any further than a second opinion scanner.

Edit: and does the license automatically remove itself from the license list on my ESET HOME website?

Edited by KietTran

• Most Valued Members
10 minutes ago, Marcos said:

To my best knowledge, protection should deactivate and Windows Defender should be activated instead.

Would a user still be able to run on demand scans? I've always presumed the product would not work at all once a trial was over but wondering if you could still run scans.

Obviously this is not recommended, as even if you can run scans, the product Will stop updating, meaning the product will not get new signatures for newer malware

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Would a user still be able to run on demand scans? I've always presumed the product would not work at all once a trial was over but wondering if you could still run scans.

Probably. However, running a scan with outdated modules would be of no use.

Sorry, I'm not talking about the protection, I'm talking about the license. I'm asking if the license of the product would renew itself after the free trial and charge me (which I hope won't happen) or would it automatically be cancelled?

12 minutes ago, KietTran said:

I'm asking if the license of the product would renew itself after the free trial and charge me (which I hope won't happen) or would it automatically be cancelled?

I am a bit confused here.

No credit card data is required to download a trial version of Eset and install it. Did you perform the trial download from your authorized in-country Eset source?

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

If you have no intention of purchasing the product and just want a second opinion type scanner you could avoid all these issues and use Eset's Online Scanner to accomplish what you're trying to do without worrying about a license.

https://www.eset.com/me/home/online-scanner/

11 hours ago, KietTran said:

Sorry, I'm not talking about the protection, I'm talking about the license. I'm asking if the license of the product would renew itself after the free trial and charge me (which I hope won't happen) or would it automatically be cancelled?

Generally if you need to use a credit card to get a free trial you will be entering into an auto renewal service and be billed when the free trial ends. So if you have provided credit card details then you will need to cancel the service yourself. 

If as you said above you didn't provide any payment details then the trial will just end and the program will stop working. I believe you get a red border around ESET when it stops working.