Eset Mdmp File On My C:drive?

autobotranger

I just noticed a strange file showing up on my c:drive.

The file is named "eset_0000000000008371_74c.mdmp" and is 0KB in size.

Never have I noticed any of these appearing before.

Anything out of the ordinary or safe to delete?

Screenshot provided to futher show you what I mean.

My PC's dashboard is in danish, but it should be easy enough to tell what is going on.

Hopefully someone can tell me what it is.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by autobotranger

Hello,

It appears to be a minidump file created by ESET from an application hang.

I would say its safe to delete. It may be used when troubleshooting errors or crashes.

The reason it is on the root of C: is beyond me. However you can specify dump locations in the Advanced setup > Tools > Diagnostics > Application memory dump. [ Switch dump type ] [ Switch Target directory ].

You only need these for troubleshooting.

• Administrators

That's weird that the dump was was created in the root of the c: drive and is 0 bytes in size. Check if there are more dumps created in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics; in such case we'd need them for analysis.

That's weird that the dump was was created in the root of the c: drive and is 0 bytes in size. Check if there are more dumps created in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics; in such case we'd need them for analysis.

There appears to be 6 more dump files in the Diagnostics folder.

• Administrators

There appears to be 6 more dump files in the Diagnostics folder.

Please download and run ESET Log Collector as per the instructions here. Then compress the content of the Diagnostics folder, upload both archives to a safe location and PM me the download links.

Do I have to include the dump file I found in the root of my c:drive as well or just the 6 files in the Diagnostics folder?

Also do you have a recommendation for somewhere to safely upload the archives?

Uploading files is not something I have ventured into much, except photos on Flickr.

I wouldn't know what to pick and what to avoid in terms of websites.

• Administrators

1, If the file is zero bytes in size as you said then there's no need to upload it.

2, You can use Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, etc. We can also supply you with instructions how to upload the files to our ftp server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Dumps are created in the root of the C: drive only if writing to C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Diagnostics fails. Unfortunately, all your dumps were empty for an unknown reason so we can't tell more about the crashes. Do you have some records about application crashes in your system event log?

There doesn't appear to be any records of application crashes.

Everything seems to run fine and NOD32 haven't generated anymore dump files ever since my original post.

I will bump the thread if it happens again.

Thanks for all of the help :)