Jump to content

Question| How to migrate from MSSQL to MYSQL


avielc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.
I've had the pain of installing EEI and found out the hard way that mysql is the only way to go with it. (MSSQL Express doesn't cut, nor can I install MSSQL that comes with the ESET PROTECT)

Since this is the case, I'd like to migrate the ESET PROTECT Console Db from MSSQL to MySQL
Was hoping to hear from experience here if anyone managed to do that successfully and how it is done as swiftly as possible. 
Server is on the same machine, so I can install Mysql community on the same server EPROTECT is installed. 

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Marcos 
I actually checked online, there are websites that explain on moving db from mssql to mysql - is there any specific reason why it doesn't work? 
You can change the tomcat config for ESET to connect to a different database to start from, right?

Is there a risk of losing something?

How can you perform a migration from specific database to another?
E.g. any chance ESET Console will not be available with mssql installation built into it, what will happen if I migrate to a new machine and not have mssql available for it? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff
On 11/11/2021 at 4:54 PM, avielc said:

Thanks Marcos 
I actually checked online, there are websites that explain on moving db from mssql to mysql - is there any specific reason why it doesn't work? 
You can change the tomcat config for ESET to connect to a different database to start from, right?

Is there a risk of losing something?

How can you perform a migration from specific database to another?
E.g. any chance ESET Console will not be available with mssql installation built into it, what will happen if I migrate to a new machine and not have mssql available for it? 

 

Not sure I understand correctly what is meant by migration, but in case it is meant to be change of database type without loosing any data, than this is not possible due to missing tooling and differences in data organization between MySQL and MSSQL.

In case of database type change, only alternative is to:

  1. perform fresh installation of ESET PROTECT - this will create "empty" database on DB server of your choice
  2. configure new server in a way client can connect to it (i.e. server on the same hostname, the same certificates, i.e. scenarios from documentation: https://help.eset.com/protect_install/90/en-US/?db_migration.html)
  3. manually migrate various data from old server to new, including devices hierarchy, policies, dynamic groups, etc.

but be aware that during this process, historical data sent from devices will be lost, including various detection reports, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MartinK said:

Not sure I understand correctly what is meant by migration, but in case it is meant to be change of database type without loosing any data, than this is not possible due to missing tooling and differences in data organization between MySQL and MSSQL.

In case of database type change, only alternative is to:

  1. perform fresh installation of ESET PROTECT - this will create "empty" database on DB server of your choice
  2. configure new server in a way client can connect to it (i.e. server on the same hostname, the same certificates, i.e. scenarios from documentation: https://help.eset.com/protect_install/90/en-US/?db_migration.html)
  3. manually migrate various data from old server to new, including devices hierarchy, policies, dynamic groups, etc.

but be aware that during this process, historical data sent from devices will be lost, including various detection reports, etc.

Thanks for the reply Martin. 
So there's no way to change the original installation of ESET's (dating back to ESET 5) bundled MSSQL Express edition?

Will this mean ESET will continue to support this method for future versions of ESET and if that ever changes a proper solution will be provided? 

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Staff
On 11/24/2021 at 10:24 AM, avielc said:

So there's no way to change the original installation of ESET's (dating back to ESET 5) bundled MSSQL Express edition?

You probably meant version 6 (i.e. new generation that is used till now, with different branding) and indeed it is not possible to migrate data from MSSQL to MySQL. So in case use of MySQL is requirement, only possibility is to use mentioned migration scenarios, or even just reinstall PROTECT server and point it to MySQL database in installer wizard. Just be sure there are backups and all data are exported and re-imported into new installation.
 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:24 AM, avielc said:

Will this mean ESET will continue to support this method for future versions of ESET and if that ever changes a proper solution will be provided?

Not sure I understand, but If migration scenarios are meant, there are no plans to do any changes. The same applies for databases as of now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, Thanks for the correction on the verion. 

And yea I meant that will ESET continue to work in this method where future ESER Console(PROTECT\ESMC) will all support MSSQL Express that came bundled, without breaking it on some version. 
Thanks for answering that.

One final question, is there any "benfit" in merging ESET and EEI databases into a single database server? (two separate dbs of course)  or it doesn't matter, and will ESET support having a single UI to work with both aspects in the future (I thought I read something about it with ESET PROTECT 9 - not sure I understood it correctly)

Thanks @MartinK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Staff

Hello @avielc

For the time being, ESET will work to support the compatibility between ESET PROTECT and MSSQL Express that came bundled with the instance. However, this is only recommended for customers with a certain size, due to SQL Express size limitations. Also, we might need to revise the sizing recommendations for customers that do run EEI in parallel, as EEI generates higher volume of detections that have some impact on the SQL Express sizing recommendations. 

With regards to your second question, of merging the DBs. In general, ESET PROTECT has been optimized for MSSQL, and EEI (although working with MSSQL as well) for MySQL. Final recommendation would most likely be affected by your current / planned size of the environment, meaning how many machines you manage from PROTECT ,and how many have the EDR functionality deployed on them (EEI). 

Concerning the "single UI", what we will be working on, is to make the UX more unified, and eventually eliminate "duplicities" (Computers / Detections) towards the "singular UI". However this is a long term plan. Currently, it is more about better interlinking and cross-navigation between the two consoles, as they have different target user personas. PROTECT is more for IT / Operations, and Enterprise Inspector more for the Security Team / SOC kind of entities. I assume that you are the one, using both consoles, right? 

Edited by MichalJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is correct. 

Right now for some reason the EEI redirect page is also pulling out the Domain Controller server name instead of the DNS record I made just for EEI console. (another odd one) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Staff

Concerning this issue, you have a response in the dedicated thread by my colleague from EEI team.  Here is the link: https://support.eset.com/en/kb7683-change-the-hostname-redirect-to-eset-enterprise-inspector-server-from-eset-security-management-center

Edited by MichalJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MichalJ said:

Concerning this issue, you have a response in the dedicated thread by my colleague from EEI team.  Here is the link: https://support.eset.com/en/kb7683-change-the-hostname-redirect-to-eset-enterprise-inspector-server-from-eset-security-management-center

Thanks I'll continue there, unfortunately this doesn't work for me. for some odd reason.

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Staff
4 hours ago, avielc said:

Thanks I'll continue there, unfortunately this doesn't work for me. for some odd reason.

 

Thanks

Just note, that this will start to work only with alarms generated after this change: could you double-check you tested with some of the one ones, not those generated prior this modification?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...