EMSX Approvedsenders file

Hello - I am in the process of cleaning up our anti-spam settings and getting some domains added to whitelisting. We are running EMSX 4.5.10011. In the past, I have manually edited the approvedsenders file and restarted the antispam module and all was good. However, when I try and do that now, all my changes are removed and the settings revert back to the way they were before. Can the approvedsenders file still be updated manually?

Update - If I add the whitelist addresses/domains one at a time from the GUI they add to the list correctly. I could go through and add the domains/e-mail addresses manually but I really should be able to copy/paste them into the approvedsenders file without it erasing them and reverting back every time.

Guest Drew

You also have the option of entering the email addresses, and domains that you would like to add to the EMSX Allowed Senders, as a coma-delimited list, from within the ESET Configuration Editor:

Windows Server v4.5 > Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server > Server protection > General mail server protection settings > Antispam protection > Antispam engine setup > Filtering > Allowed senders list (Whitelist):

Once you compile the coma-delimited list, and then enter it into ESET Configuration Editor, you can then export the entire configuration as a XML file to be imported directly into EMSX, or pushed out from ERAC via policy or configuration task.

The ApprovedSenders file is now managed from within the EMSX GUI Antispam engine parameters setup, as the Allowed Senders/Domains whitelist.

You can access this functionality via the EMSX GUI to enter the email addresses and domains that you want to whitelist, one-by-one, or you can also use the ESET Configuration Editor to add a comma-delimited list:

You also have the option of entering the email addresses, and domains that you would like to add to the EMSX Allowed Senders, as a comma-delimited list, from within the ESET Configuration Editor:

Windows Server v4.5 > Mail Security 4.5 for MS Exchange Server > Server protection > General mail server protection settings > Antispam protection > Antispam engine setup > Filtering > Allowed senders list (Whitelist):

Once you compile the coma-delimited list, and then enter it into ESET Configuration Editor, you can then export the entire configuration as a XML file to be imported directly into EMSX, or pushed out from ERAC via policy or configuration task.

Thanks for the information. I set this up and tested it this morning with about 12 domains, seemed to work fine. I then created a comma separated list of the complete whitelist (about 70 items) that I was attempting to use. Copied that into Allowed Senders List in ESET Configuration Editor. The mail servers checked in and grabbed the new list, but then immediately started giving errors about web protection and other things which was odd. I went back to my policy and found that EVERY single setting for every single product was now marked to be sent to the client and it sent the default settings to both my mail servers. Luckily, I made a backup before the changes so I figured no problem, I'll unmark everything and import from my backup. It appears my current EMSX policy is now corrupted as every time I import from my backed up policy it marks EVERY single setting for EVERY single product. If I create a new policy and apply my backup xml file, it works fine and brings in all my settings correctly. However if I apply that same XML to my existing Policy it checks every single setting and marks it to deploy. 

It is difficult to say what exactly happened, based on the information provided, but you can do the following in the future:

Ensure that you are using ESET RA version 5.0.511.0 or higher, and EMSX version 4.5.10011.0 or higher.

It is always a good idea to have backups of all of your current configurations.

If you want to create a XML file that can be imported directly into the EMSX client then be sure to use the "Export Marked to" option from ESET Configuration Editor, which should only export the options that you specifically edited.

If you want to deliver the configuration settings to a number of machines you can use either an ERA Configuration Task, or you can edit an ERA policy directly as well.

You can also create backups of all of your policies, globally, and individually as well.

Yes, I don't know what happened either as I've made changes to policies for our different products for years. I've never seen it mark every single item for every product on it's own. I am running the latest version of both ERAS and ESMX. I was able to fix the problem by unmarking everything, saving the policy. I then reopened the same policy and imported the backup and it correctly imported the config.