ekrn.exe high CPU usage (>=50%) due to Context switches frequently

On 3/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, Kevin999 said:

This bug reproduce today. It also disappear after restart my computer.

But different from before, ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, and Firefox/IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), Egde is OK.

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, and IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), firefox and edge's processes (msedge.exe) still exist after close them, and they couldn't killed by task manager (access denied), besides, they couldn't start anymore - has process, but UI doesn't appear.

Some process is Sandboxed, so their's user name in task manger is "ANONYMOUS LOGON". except firefox.exe and msedge.exe, other programs could terminated normally (no process in task manager).

Edited by Kevin999

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
1, Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
2, Reproduce the issue
3, Create a dump of ekrn via Tools -> Diagnostics -> Create in the advanced setup
4, Disable logging
5, Collect fresh logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

• 2 weeks later...

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, and Firefox couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), I haven't test Edge or IE.

I will send you the dump later. By the way, I use ESET Log Collecter after restart computer though the dump was created first.

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, IE and Edge couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), Firefox is OK.

I will send you the dump later. By the way, I use ESET Log Collecter after restart computer though the dump was created first.

• 2 weeks later...

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), Firefox and Edge couldn't launch (has processes).

7 hours ago, Kevin999 said:

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading), Firefox and Edge couldn't launch (has processes).

Could you tell me if you have the latest version 15.1.12.0 installed, because here on my pc it is consuming <50MB so far.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Could you tell me if you have the latest version 15.1.12.0 installed, because here on my pc it is consuming <50MB so far.

The topic is not about memory consumption but about CPU load.

Some changes with regard to the issue have been made to the protocol filtering module, yet they will have to be done to the product itself and the firewall too.

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, Edge and IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading) and Edge no response after a moment. Firefox has been run for some time, and it's normal.

15 hours ago, Kevin999 said:

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, Edge and IE couldn't open any website (always keeping loading) and Edge no response after a moment. Firefox has been run for some time, and it's normal.

Which O/S are you using ?

6 minutes ago, tommy456 said:

Which O/S are you using ?

Which O/S are you using ? Plus what installed software if any do you suspect may be a underlying cause of this , assuming it isn't a misconfig issue from a dodgy /upgrade  installation of ESET, have you tried a  complete clean install of ESET using the ESET uninstall tool?

10 hours ago, tommy456 said:

Which O/S are you using ? Plus what installed software if any do you suspect may be a underlying cause of this , assuming it isn't a misconfig issue from a dodgy /upgrade  installation of ESET, have you tried a  complete clean install of ESET using the ESET uninstall tool?

Now I using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2022 x64 (21H2).

This bug even happened when I was using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64 (1809), my Windows was clean upgrade (delete system partition, EFI system partition and recovery partition), so I can confirm I have been tried a complete clean install of ESET.

Edited by Kevin999

• Administrators

It has been fixed, however, the fix will require a new version of the product so it will take some time until it's fixed for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, Edge and IE couldn't open any website (always keep loading), because Firefox have been run for some time, so it works well, only IE could start again after exit. These web browsers all have processes after exit, and they couldn't terminated by task manager (acces denied). Besides, ping works well.

Except ekrn.exe cost >=50% CPU, Edge and IE couldn't open any website (always keep loading), although Firefox have been run for some time, it also couldn't open any website, only IE could start again after exit. These web browsers all have processes after exit, and they couldn't terminated by task manager (acces denied). Besides, ping works well.

• 3 weeks later...

This bug reproduce today, but after I delete sandbox contains, this bug disappear.

I guess sandboxie maybe conflict with EIS?

• 3 weeks later...

Except ekrn.exe cost ≥50% CPU, sandboxed firefox crash; becuse the unsandboxed firefox have been run for some time, so it works well. Edge could launch, but it no response after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

This bug reproduce today, ekrn.exe cost>=50 CPU, and sandboxie couldn't delete contents, but after I try to unmount RAMDisk, this bug disappear immediately. The sandboxie work folder is storage in RAMDisk.

• 3 weeks later...

This bug reproduce today, ekrn.exe cost>=50 CPU, and sandboxie couldn't delete contents, Unfortunately, after I try to unmount RAMDisk, this bug doesn't disappear, but it disappear after reboot.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, Kevin999 said:

Here's some discussions of Sandboxie users about CPU usage, sandboxie and ESET:

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/1502

Create an exclusion for sandboxie .exe in Eset Deep Behavior Inspection setting and see if that helps:

Eset_DB.thumb.png.94672764b2a820ee51bf229ed5d081f1.png

If that doesn't help, then additionally create an Eset real-time performance exclusion for the entire Sandboxie C:\Programs Files or C:\Programs Files (x86) directory depending on where Sandboxie is installed installation directory as illustrated here: https://help.eset.com/essp/15/en-US/idh_performance_exclusions.html?idh_performance_exclusion.html .

Note: the above exclusion means Eset will no longer scan for malware in what is excluded.

Edited by itman

On 7/13/2022 at 11:18 PM, itman said:

Create an exclusion for sandboxie .exe in Eset Deep Behavior Inspection setting and see if that helps:

Eset_DB.thumb.png.94672764b2a820ee51bf229ed5d081f1.png

If that doesn't help, then additionally create an Eset real-time performance exclusion for the entire Sandboxie C:\Programs Files or C:\Programs Files (x86) directory depending on where Sandboxie is installed installation directory as illustrated here: https://help.eset.com/essp/15/en-US/idh_performance_exclusions.html?idh_performance_exclusion.html .

Note: the above exclusion means Eset will no longer scan for malware in what is excluded.

Unfortunately, real-time performance exclusion for whole directory and exclusion for sandboxie .exe in Eset Deep Behavior Inspection seems doesn't work, this bug reprocedure yesterday.

10 hours ago, Kevin999 said:

Unfortunately, real-time performance exclusion for whole directory and exclusion for sandboxie .exe in Eset Deep Behavior Inspection seems doesn't work, this bug reprocedure yesterday.

Uninstall Sandboxie. If your CPU issues disappear with Sandboxie uninstalled, it can be concluded that Sandboxie is not compatible with Eset.

You can open a support ticket on the issue with your in-country Eset support source.