Update ESET Smart Security V15 now blocking all sorts of applications

Updating to the latest V15 of ESET Smart Security  has now blocked comms with Autodesk, and a whole host of other services, including ESET ekrn.exe, Microsoft NT Kernel & System, SSDP Discovery, Autodesk AdSSO, Logitech LogiOptionsMgr.exe, Microsoft Function Discovery Provider Host, Device Association Framework Provider Host, etc tec. WTF??? I now have to go into Network protection troubleshooting and manually unblock all of these,.. Maybe a better solution is to uninstall ESET and go for another suite?

• Administrators

The firewall contains a default rule that allows all communication for ekrn so it sounds like there is a custom rule on top of other rules that is blocking all communication. Please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
- reproduce the issue, e.g. launch a browser and try to open a website
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

You could probably fix it quickly by uninstalling ESET and installing v15 from scratch.

Uninstall and reinstall helps, but this is a major problem. We are ESET Gold Partners and we receive several calls a day since the update that nothing in the network works after the update. People cant't scan, print,  access network shares, use database Software and so on.

The Eset support on the phone said they are working on a fix and can't stop the rollout of the update. Does not feel good to explain to my customers that the AV i recommended is suddenly preventing them from doing their work. 

I have other work to do than reinstalling ESET all day, so please fix asap!

Already tried that, only a reinstall permanently fixes the problem. If i don't reinstall and manually unblock the stuff, it blocks all new normally allowed traffic anyways.

As i said, last two days 20+ customers called me with the exact same problem. I tried many things with the different customer PCs to find out what works best. The only permanent fix seems to be a reinstall.

------

What i already tried to fix this before doing a reinstall:

• setting Network to Public and then back to Private
  • manually unblock every single thing in the troubleshooter
  • disable and enable firewall
  • change the firewall mode / changing it back to automatic
  • restart pc after all of the above

I attached the log of the last 5 days, updated my private PC today and had (unsurprisingly) the same problem. So the log should show that the blocking startet at around 15:50 22.10.2021. Before the update everything worked as expected.

eis_logs.zip

• Administrators

Are these logs from a state when all communication was blocked? The thing is the firewall rules look ok and some have also "allow" action set.

There can be issues in case there were custom rules created by EIS/ESSP v11.1 or older and you upgrade to v15. In that case there are two solutions:
1, Reset settings to defaults
2, Uninstall v15 and install it from scratch.

Users who did not have any custom firewall rules are not affected. Also if custom firewall rules were created by EIS/ESSP newer than v11.1 the issue doesn't occur.

We have paused updates to v15 until a new Configuration Engine module is released. With the new CE module upgrades from older versions that have custom fw rules created by v11.1 or older will be upgraded to v15 alright.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, 9Chris6 said:

Uninstall and reinstall helps, but this is a major problem. We are ESET Gold Partners and we receive several calls a day since the update that nothing in the network works after the update. People cant't scan, print,  access network shares, use database Software and so on.

The Eset support on the phone said they are working on a fix and can't stop the rollout of the update. Does not feel good to explain to my customers that the AV i recommended is suddenly preventing them from doing their work. 

I have other work to do than reinstalling ESET all day, so please fix asap!

Are you using win 7. I am and had to uninstall v15 & back to v12 .I continually get messages that my computer is not protected. I think there is a v14.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, woodust said:

Are you using win 7. I am and had to uninstall v15 & back to v12 .I continually get messages that my computer is not protected. I think there is a v14.

Version 12 is obsolete, and is not protect you from current threats.

You can use version 15 over Windows 7 and stay protected, you just need to install the next 2 Microsoft patchs in order to proceed to install that version.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb4474419

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4490628

If want some help with your case in particular, make a new post and subject, give us the most quantity of data related, screenshot, installed version, etc. and tell us so we can take a look.