dynamic and static groups

Go to solution Solved by Romky,

What is the difference between static and dynamic groups? I can't move computers from one dynamic group to another but well from one static group to another. Can't be the only difference. What are these both groups used for?

• Administrators

Membership in dynamic groups is evaluated by agent on endpoints while computers in static groups don't move, hence they are called static.

Groups can be used for very many purposes, e.g. to apply specific policies to specific groups, to install or activate a particular ESET product only to selected groups, to get reports for selected groups, etc. Basically all you can do with an individual computer you can also do with groups.

Thanks for the fast response.

But how does the agent on endpoints know the correct group? 

If i create several groups for sales, accounting, HR, etc. how do i get the endpoint move to one of those groups?

• Administrators

The agent receives a list of expressions for dynamic groups created in ESET PROTECT and evaluates them. This information is then sent to ESET PROTECT so you see there machines in the appropriate dynamic groups.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hello Berni here's great web page to explain concept and purpose of Groups : https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/81/en-US/admin_groups.html?

Basically,

Static groups are handled by user - you choose which computers goes to which static group (be aware 1 computer can be member of only one static group)

Dynamic groups are handled automatically by agent based on some conditions (e.g Windows dynamic group can have only windows computers because they fullful the condition. Linux or Mac computers wont be displayed there because they do not fill up condition) 

For your case I would suggest to create Static group - Sales Department and move computers by you.

Hi Romky,

thank you very much. That is what i was looking for. Didn't find this good explanation in the web; looked at wrong sites 😉