Internet Security 15.0.16.0 has damaged Firefox

Last night I updated my Win10 64-bit computer to ESET Internet Security v15.0.16.0 - ever since then, when I launch Firefox, the web browser hangs for approx 10 seconds. When I submit a search via Firefox, it hangs again for 4-5 seconds. Refreshing/reinstalling Firefox did not fix the problem. However, disabling/pausing EVERYTHING on Eset DID fix the problem. Is anyone else seeing this? Has the new version of Eset been tested with recent versions of Firefox?

• Administrators

Yes, ESET does not affect Firefox; network communication is scanned at the Windows Filtering Platform layer, not in a browser. Does pausing the firewall or temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference?

Thanks, Marcos. I've re-enabled all of ESET feature by feature and Firefox is fine until I re-enable the ESET Firewall, at which point the problem reoccurs - Firefox hangs on launch for around 10 seconds.

No custom firewall rules, no - I've always left ESET in Automatic Filtering Mode and everything has worked fine, until now. I've just tried switching that setting to Interactive Mode and it's looking like the firewall is causing Firefox to hang when Firefox attempts to connect to "upgrade.spotify.com" on launch, if that's any help?

• Most Valued Members

From the GUI , go to Settings > Network Protection > Troubleshooting wizard
Change the time to the last hour to show more problems (if any)

See if anything that relates to spotify or firefox is being blocked.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- under Help and support enable advanced logging
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here
- let us know what website you attempted to open, just in case.

As for downgrading to v14, you'd need to ask your local ESET distributor for the installer and disable program updates. However, once v14 reaches EOL you would be upgraded to the latest version automatically and the issue might not be resolved. Therefore it's important to find the root cause of the issue.

I can confirm - I have the same problem - updated Eset Smart Security Premium to latest version 15.0.16.0 and ugh Firefox take forever to open and load pages. Firefox version 93 (64 bit)

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, QuantumFour said:

I can confirm - I have the same problem - updated Eset Smart Security Premium to latest version 15.0.16.0 and ugh Firefox take forever to open and load pages. Firefox version 93 (64 bit)

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup actually make a difference?

• ESET Insiders
On 10/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, Simon Bowland said:

Is there a way I can roll ESET back to v14, which worked perfectly, and then block ESET from updating to v15 until a fix is implemented?

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products?ref=esf

On me firefox shows error 0x0000022 .It also doesn't work after installing Eset and Firefox cleanly.

Windows 11

Edited by stiv

Was the same here. Firefox 93 unresponsive on startup for approx. 10 seconds, after disabling firewall startup everything back to normal. Since I had no special firewall rules, went ahead and hit the Defaults button.

It seems to have solved my issue, but I would like to ask others to confirm.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, Marcos said:

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup actually make a difference?

Stupid question where do i find that? - on a swedish version of Eset

• Administrators

Please ignore that and try either:
1, uninstalling v15 and installing it from scratch
2, setting default settings:

image.png

• ESET Insiders

I'm not having any issues. I'm wondering why it is connecting to the spotify domain. Is this caused by a Firefox add-on?

That said I had to post this from Edge as Firefox would not let me post to this site.

Edited by xxJackxx

2 hours ago, QuantumFour said:

Reinstalling Eset Fixed my firefox issues - Thnx :)

It's ok if installing the product again resolved. But a fix would have to come to fix this whole problem.
Imagine if a small company would have to install everything again, or even at home, that's why I think I would have to send a patch package. not us users to do workarounds.

I hope this might help some others having this problem.

I also had this problem -- both Firefox and Thunderbird were nearly unusable because of the very long loading times, and long times to fetch web pages in Firefox. I narrowed the problem down to the eSet Internet Security firewall but didn't want to disable it altogether. So I went to the site shown earlier in this thread to download an earlier version and selected v. 14. I uninstalled Internet Security 15.0.16.0 and tried to install the version I'd downloaded, but got a message that the latest version was already installed. So I downloaded and ran the eSet uninstaller tool. Then I could run the installer I'd downloaded. And it installed v. 15.0.16.0, and not 14! But after all the fuss, Firefox and Thunderbird are working normally again, with 15.0.16.0. I believe I agreed to the automated use reporting the first time I installed 15.0.16.0 and not the second, but otherwise I did everything the same both times. LiveGrid was and is off.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 10 Pro, and the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Group W said:

I also had this problem -- both Firefox and Thunderbird were nearly unusable because of the very long loading times, and long times to fetch web pages in Firefox.

This can be resolved easily by restoring default settings. Alternatively you can uninstall ESET v15 and install it from scratch. The live installer on the website downloads the latest version, ie. v15. Not sure where you selected v14 because there is no such option on the download page.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, Marcos said:

Please ignore that and try either:
1, uninstalling v15 and installing it from scratch
2, setting default settings or at least firewall rules:

image.png

Hello,

I reverted all settings in Advanced setup/Network protection/Firewall/Advanced (as indicated by the red arrow)

This didn't fix the FF issues. They were fixed however with the default button at the bottom left of the screen in 'Advanced setup' (as shown in the attachment.)

Was this what you meant by setting default settings? In number (2) of your list, it's not clear if you meant default settings for the firewall, or the general default settings that I reset.

Thanks for you help.

default.jpg