How to restart the service ekrn 'ESET Service'?

In Windows 8.1, from the services I don't see any option to stop or restart the ekrn 'ESET Service'.  That service has a 5GB memory commit size right now... Most probably memory leaks.

Is there another way to do this without a reboot?

I do not want to restart Windows itself since I have many application and some server application running.

• Most Valued Members
5 minutes ago, virtualpaul said:

In Windows 8.1, from the services I don't see any option to stop or restart the ekrn 'ESET Service'.  That service has a 5GB memory commit size right now... Most probably memory leaks.

Is there another way to do this without a reboot?

I do not want to restart Windows itself since I have many application and some server application running.

I presume you are using the latest version of Eset?

• Administrators

It is not possible to restart ekrn for security reasons. The best would be if you could generate an ekrn dump via the advanced setup -> diagnostics -> create (dump).

When done, collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

As peteyt asked, what product and version are you using? You have mentioned a server, however, you have posted in the forum for home user products.

16 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It is not possible to restart ekrn for security reasons. The best would be if you could generate an ekrn dump via the advanced setup -> diagnostics -> create (dump).

When done, collect logs with ESET Log Collector, upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link.

As peteyt asked, what product and version are you using? You have mentioned a server, however, you have posted in the forum for home user products.

Since you can disable most of eset features from the GUI, I am not sure it would be worse to allow restart too.  Perhaps with a password or something.

I am looking at the log collector menu and there are quite a lot of logs in that list.  Is there a bare minimum I could send you instead?  I am not too keen on providing that much info about my system since I cannot check all those logs. It would take a week!

Yes, the latest according to the GUI: 14.2.24.0.

• Administrators

You can compress ekrn*.dmp files in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics and supply the archive to me. However, ELC logs may be requested by developers later. It's impossible for users to check all logs and especially binary data files and dumps that ELC collects; ESET is a security vendor who takes also security of your data seriously. Without logs we often cannot move on and help you resolve issues.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can compress ekrn*.dmp files in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics and supply the archive to me. However, ESET Log Collector logs may be requested by developers later. It's impossible for users to check all logs and especially binary data files and dumps that ESET Log Collector collects; ESET is a security vendor who takes also security of your data seriously. Without logs we often cannot move on and help you resolve issues.

I could not find any ekrn*.dmp in the folders I found.  I installed the data on another drive but I am guessing they should have been there too.

Anyway, I sent you the logs in a private message.

If you can, please let me know once you have downloaded it so I can remove it.

Edited by virtualpaul

• Administrators

First you must create a dump manually when ekrn takes a lot of RAM via advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create (dump), only then an ekrn*.dmp file will be created.

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

First you must create a dump manually when ekrn takes a lot of RAM via advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create (dump), only then an ekrn*.dmp file will be created.

Ok, I created the dump files and zipped them but that is about 1.6GB.  Any suggestions on how to get it to you?

• Administrators

You can upload it to OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. and drop me a personal message with a download link.

However, please enable this setting, then reproduce high memory use by ekrn again and generate a new dump:

image.png

Ok I will try but it could take a while since right after I enabled the memory tracing, ekrn seems to have rebooted itself or something since the memory when down to 50MB which I guess is probably normal.  

Do you still want the 5GB .dmp in the mean time?

On 10/16/2021 at 1:26 PM, virtualpaul said:

Ok I will try but it could take a while since right after I enabled the memory tracing, ekrn seems to have rebooted itself or something since the memory when down to 50MB which I guess is probably normal.  

Do you still want the 5GB .dmp in the mean time?

So I redid the dump with the memory tracing.  I sent you a message on how to get the files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 10/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, virtualpaul said:

So I redid the dump with the memory tracing.  I sent you a message on how to get the files.

I'm sorry for providing incorrect instruction. With enabling memory tracing also enable advanced operating system logging. However, it will be necessary to reproduce the issue quite quickly since logs can grow to gigabytes in a couple of minutes. After reproducing the issue, disable the above diagnostic settings and provide logs collected with ELC.