PCU Update Status?

Good morning,

I am trying to check on the PCU update status. I have a Windows 10 PC that has been running ESET Endpoint AV 8.0.2039.0 since about the day it was released.  The machine has a policy to allow automatic program updates, the EULA was accepted via the ESET protect console, and the machine is restarted at least once per week.  It doesn't seem to update past that point.  Versions of 8.1 have been around now for greater than two months which I believe was the delay that these updates would operate on.  

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Version 8.1.2037 was released on Sept 21, ie. in less than a month. We are going to prepare a uPCU to this version soon.

Thank you. So to confirm there will NOT be an PCU update to version 8.1.2031 that was released at the start of July?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, kingoftheworld said:

Thank you. So to confirm there will NOT be an PCU update to version 8.1.2031 that was released at the start of July?

No. We provide updates only to the latest stable builds, ie. in this case to v8.1.2037.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:12 PM, Marcos said:

No. We provide updates only to the latest stable builds, ie. in this case to v8.1.2037.

that's strange. according to your words, v8.1.2031 at August is the latest stable build and released over a month, so it should have PCU. it seems there is "standard" release and "LTS" release.  maybe for some reason ESET doesn't want to tag the life of each release. but it is a useful information for most users.

• Administrators

Probably no issues with v8.1.2031 were known at that time. In that case that version would have been released as uPCU. However, since certain issues were discovered (e.g. a problem with activation with offline license files remotely), it was not suitable to be released as uPCU and we had to prepare a service release 8.1.2037. For us the quality matters and thefore we will not update all users to a version that has some known quirks.

Hi Marcos,

Sorry to interfer in this thread, but I don't get it. I tought uPCU updates were for updates in the same version (8.1.2031 to 8.1.2037) while PCU were for upgrades (8.0.2039 to 8.1.2037). Is this incorrect ?

Also, how do we manage both type of updates / upgrades in ESET Protect ? AFAIK there is only one setting for this.

image.thumb.png.bd25183db6c6ca3cde405bb14f37ce36.png

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, karsayor said:

Hi Marcos,

Sorry to interfer in this thread, but I don't get it. I tought uPCU updates were for updates in the same version (8.1.2031 to 8.1.2037) while PCU were for upgrades (8.0.2039 to 8.1.2037). Is this incorrect ?

Also, how do we manage both type of updates / upgrades in ESET Protect ? AFAIK there is only one setting for this.

Both PCU and uPCU are program updates, however, we haven't used PCU for a long time since uPCU was introduced. uPCU are differential updates while PCU is basically equal to downloading and installing the whole msi installer and always require a computer restart.

We're going to use uPCU to upgrade any older v8.0/v8.1 of Endpoint to upgrade to the latest version 8.1.2037 soon. There is one setting for this which you marked in your screenshot.

OK. I relied on KB2256 but it seems wrong then. What in case of update to v9 for example, will it also auto-update via uPCU updates ?

While I think auto-update is great for bugfix and security issues, I'm afraid of it deploying newer version with new features and changes automatically without any control over it ?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, karsayor said:

OK. I relied on KB2256 but it seems wrong then. What in case of update to v9 for example, will it also auto-update via uPCU updates ?

Thanks for the heads-up, the KB needs a complete overhaul. We have notified the documentation team.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, karsayor said:

While I think auto-update is great for bugfix and security issues, I'm afraid of it deploying newer version with new features and changes automatically without any control over it ?

It depends on your program update settings. If set to auto-update, products will be updated to the latest stable version, typically 1-2 months after the release. If EULA has changed, an administrator will be notified in ESET PROTECT and will have to accept the new EULA prior to applying the program update. uPCU updates are installed after the next computer restart so no additional restart is needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Setting update mode to Auto-update will update Endpoint v8.x to Endpoint v9. For v9+ this setting is irrelevant.

image.png

V9+ has program auto updates enabled by default but it's possible to pause them if really necessary:

image.png

Ok, thank you. What is the difference in the two settings you showed and the settings from the new policy Auto-updates that has appeared in Protect v9 ?

image.thumb.png.dbd2ab71696204dadcedffbc00e54880.png

On 10/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, Marcos said:

This machine updated some time in the last couple of days to v8.1.2037

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Marcos said:

It will work for upgrade to Endpoint v9 too.

@Marcos So I guess this statement is false based on https://support.eset.com/en/kb8129-autoupdate-for-business-products....  A little disappointing considering I have spent months planning and working to update my clients to v8....

Enabling auto-updates in ESET PROTECT will only work if you have the supported version of the endpoint security product installed. For example, ESET Endpoint Security 8.x will not auto-update to version 9.x. After the endpoint security product is manually updated to version 9.x, it will then auto-update to later versions when they are available. 

• Administrators

To my best knowledge, v8.x will auto-update to v9 after a uPCU to v9 has been released and program updates are set to auto-update in v8. Checking with colleagues to make sure...

On 12/22/2021 at 2:04 PM, Marcos said:

To my best knowledge, v8.x will auto-update to v9 after a uPCU to v9 has been released and program updates are set to auto-update in v8. Checking with colleagues to make sure...

Thank you! Any update from your colleagues @Marcos

Just now, Marcos said:

They confirmed v8 will auto-update to v9.

Great news! Thank you.  May be good to update that KB I linked above to reflect that information because that is a link provided when you click the top banner in ESET Protect v9 regarding the enabling of Automatic Product Updates.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

We are going to release a service release 9.0.2046.0 soon. Then a program update to this version should be available in approximately 30 days after the release.