Dynamic group for Computers requiring restart broke

I can't remember if this dynamic group was a pre-built/canned one, or one that I built. Either way, it quit working after some upgrade when status changed from 'Computer' to 'Device'.

The initial query was OR Functionality/Protection problems.Problem = Computer restart recommended / Computer restart required

I found that the actual status is now "Device restart required", so added that to the existing OR conditions.

However, I found that some clients are also now showing status, "Device restart recommended". 

But I'm not finding this status under Functionality/Protection problems.Problem with the others. Nor am I finding it elsewhere.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this dynamic group to capture all restart conditions?

Edited by j-gray
Corrected title

• j-gray changed the title to Dynamic group for Computers requiring restart broke
  • ESET Staff

Hello. This is a new / adjusted status. As Dynamic group automation works on a concept of Agent being explicitly aware of the status types, following the change on the Endpoint side, we will reflect the change in the upcoming release of ESET PROTECT coming later this year. Please note, that for proper operations, both server / agents will have to be updated to the latest version. We are sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thanks for the info -I appreciate it.

What is the functional difference between required and recommended. I assume that 'required' indicates AV is not functional. What state is the AV when restart is recommended? Is it still fully functional or are some components not functional?

• ESET Staff

That´s indeed a good question. My assumption is, that the product is functional, however older version of modules are loaded, meaning the highest level of protection, that will be achieved with newer modules is not ensured. As in some cases we bring new detection functionality along the way. But I will double check with the teams responsible. 

Thanks again.

Is it also possible to determine which updates require or recommend a restart?

I just ran an update on a Windows system from 8.1.2031.0 to 8.1.2037.2. I assumed being a minor upgrade that no restart would be required. But in fact a restart is required.

I guess I need to assume that any AV update will require a restart. But it would be great to know in advance --that way I could immediately apply updates that don't require a reboot, as opposed to having to wait for a more opportune time.

• ESET Staff

The best way to handle this (at least from my point of view) is to enable automatic product updates. The main benefit is, that in case this feature is active, it will automatically download and prepare the update, and will apply it upon computer reboot. However, reboot is not required, computer is working normally with the previous version.

This is a major change compared to "traditional" way of doing updates, where you install the new update over the old binary, and after this the restart is required (as the previous version drivers are still hooked into the system). This functionality currently applies to the Windows machines only, and only to clients newer than version 8.1.