Eset Smart Security And Eset Nod32 Antivirus 8 Beta Available

My DNS always leaks with Eset Smart Security 8 beta when using Boleh VPN. It never did leak when using Online Armor with Boleh VPN.  Boleh VPN client uses OpenVPN protocols. What do you need to trouble shoot this problem? I already tried using learning mode so ESS would properly configure the Firewall for Boleh VPN Client. That did not work. My DNS still leaked after connecting to a Boleh route. I also tried interactive mode, and that failed to resolve the issue as well. The firewall log is blank in the UI. Where are the logs you will need? Its really late here so I will check back in the morning to see what is needed to resolve this issue.

FWIW, It now seems that the DNS leak is Not caused by the ESS V8 Beta: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-90#post-2406835

I see "Ashamp..." is that connected to some type of Ashampoo software perhaps. Could it be a PUA detection?

I don't use Ashampoo so I don't know if they bundle something with their software or not.

Oh yeah, it is a bundle of junk from CNET. That wasn't my point, it was the different graphic that I had never seen before so i thought I would comment on it.

I hate that bundled and NOD32 warned me about it. The software containing the PUAs is something I just wanted to try..

Installed on my Windows 8.1 x64 today. I think it would be awesome if an option was available, to allow alert sounds if something was detected or blocked! A feature I miss from a competitor!

Installed on my Windows 8.1 x64 today. I think it would be awesome if an option was available, to allow alert sounds if something was detected or blocked! A feature I miss from a competitor!

Good idea.

it was the different graphic that I had never seen before so i thought I would comment on it.

This graphic is normal. Also in v7 it was used for detections that the user should clean at the end of a scan (and this are e.g. PUAs).

it was the different graphic that I had never seen before so i thought I would comment on it.

This graphic is normal. Also in v7 it was used for detections that the user should clean at the end of a scan (and this are e.g. PUAs).

I just never remember it being so big.

Thanks

Greetings.

How many builds have there been to date during the current beta program ?

Thanks

Current build of ESS8 running fine on several 64 bit configs.

Hello,

There have been no new release since the version found in the opening post in this thread.

I left Eset a fair few years back, when it was still on version 4, main reason I left was I felt the company wasn't "good enough" at updating the program, in fact I think I had the latest v4 for at least 2 yrs without any sign of a v5 coming! I know they say modules are updated, but as an end user when other companies are bringing out new versions every year, that was how I felt. Now I'm looking to come back, it's good to see regular program versions now, but I am still very surprised that the UI looks the same, I feel it could do with a new lick of paint now.

If you search on the forum you will find plenty of UI / GUI discussions.

Including in this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2984-eset-smart-security-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-8-beta-available/?p=17264

And yes the products is still improved via module updates all the time in between new version releases: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2984-eset-smart-security-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-8-beta-available/?p=17262

So it should come as no surprise that vendors does not develop and release their products in the same way. How boring wouldn't that be. All vendors should go on their own path because that's how they become successful!  

And welcome back. :)

Edited by SweX

And you also don't have to do a complete redesign of the GUI. Things that could be useful can also added to a GUI that looks quite similar to the "old" GUI.

I e.g. mean that the Tray menu could be changed a bit: see my suggestion at the tray menu options poll.

• ESET Insiders

My DNS always leaks with Eset Smart Security 8 beta when using Boleh VPN. It never did leak when using Online Armor with Boleh VPN.  Boleh VPN client uses OpenVPN protocols. What do you need to trouble shoot this problem? I already tried using learning mode so ESS would properly configure the Firewall for Boleh VPN Client. That did not work. My DNS still leaked after connecting to a Boleh route. I also tried interactive mode, and that failed to resolve the issue as well. The firewall log is blank in the UI. Where are the logs you will need? Its really late here so I will check back in the morning to see what is needed to resolve this issue.

FWIW, It now seems that the DNS leak is Not caused by the ESS V8 Beta: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-90#post-2406835

Yes, thank you! Hitman Pro Alert does cause my DNS to leak. I just haven't had a chance to check to make sure ESS beta 8 does not do the same. I would say it was only HMPA though. I hope the surfright, and Boleh developers can work out the conflict they are having with their products. I think it's best to report bugs by support email, and the forum thread since Eset is not responding to many of the post here. I did not even know if they were looking into the problem.

Yes I thought I could mention it here incase any ESET devs are trying to find the problem and fix it but they could have a hard time finding it if the problem isn't in the V8 Beta.  :D

No they may not always respond but I believe they are reading each post, personally I think a short reply is always better than no reply.  :)

Edited by SweX

There is no singel answer to that. Are you doing the test behind a router?

If you are, try to google around to see if and how you can configure your router better, as different routers use different firmware. Even though many users chose to not use stock router firmware.

In any case, I can let you know that when I did the test straight against ESS it passed just fine. 

Edited by SweX

Hello,

I see, I looked around but unfortunately I didn't find any useful router security related discussions about it so I don't know if or how much you can tweak in it. 

Hello,

I see, I looked around but unfortunately I didn't find any useful router security related discussions about it so I don't know if or how much you can tweak in it. 

Using a BT Home Hub 5 as well.

SweX the router is very well locked and untweakable. They do a good job as a router but as far as cusomising settings is concerned they are a pain.

yes, doesn't appear like there is anything I can do, been onto BT who suggest factory reset, but I'm not doing that, too much hassle, just never seen this level of  "openness" before.