Infection

During the past month I have noticed a drop in protection/HIPS levels from ESET during which time my PC was infected and had to reformat the whole system to get things back to normal (thanks to the backups I made, i didn't lose overall data). I contacted support and they couldn't do much about the incident either. I recently (2 weeks back) renewed by ESSP license for a good 3 years! This debacle made me consider trialing a new solution - I am trialing Dr. Web Security Space for 90 days now. Looks very solid to me.  

I hope ESET is able to rectify these misses/errors so that followers will not gravitate to other solutions.

11 hours ago, nabeelmansoor said:

During the past month I have noticed a drop in protection/HIPS levels from ESET during which time my PC was infected and had to reformat the whole system to get things back to normal (thanks to the backups I made, i didn't lose overall data). I contacted support and they couldn't do much about the incident either. I recently (2 weeks back) renewed by ESSP license for a good 3 years! This debacle made me consider trialing a new solution - I am trialing Dr. Web Security Space for 90 days now. Looks very solid to me.  

I hope ESET is able to rectify these misses/errors so that followers will not gravitate to other solutions.

What is making me worried is the image below, with updated information on the tested products.
NOTE: ESET has low detection compared to weaker products. what is happening with personal ESET?

image.thumb.png.1a01962ee78b18fea5f69a31587a8ac1.png

Real-World Protection Test July-August 2021 - Factsheet (av-comparatives.org)

• Administrators
13 hours ago, nabeelmansoor said:

A typical infection vector is RDP nowadays. If attackers managed to log into your system with administrator permissions, they could disable or remove ESET and run malware, typically ransomware. In case of an incident you should avoid formatting the hard disk in case you want to investigate the issue and possibly restore encrypted files.

Without proper investigation, changing AVs will not make your system safer if you do not secure the attack vector.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

A typical infection vector is RDP nowadays. If attackers managed to log into your system with administrator permissions, they could disable or remove ESET and run malware, typically ransomware.

I must say that use of Win 10 Pro for this consumer test series is totally inappropriate if RDP based malware was deployed. Most individual consumers use Win 10 Home and RDP in it is disabled by default.

Edited by itman