ESET continuous "product update"

48 minutes ago, Bobjob said:

Same here, it just goes in a never ending update. Only started since 14.2.24

Update goes to level one of three and then takes ages to compleat process, if at all. Usually have to restart computer .

• ESET Moderators
29 minutes ago, Zlad said:

I too have this problem, with optic internet, solid notebook, yet it still keeps on updating every time i boot the computer and spend hours on it, it never stops.

Is just the ESET icon spinning and saying that Product update is in progress or you can see that the update is progressing in the Update tab in main GUI? 
I'm asking because we are aware of a visual bug, when the icon reports update in progress even if it already finished...

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

I'm asking because we are aware of a visual bug, when the icon reports update in progress even if it already finished...

I will note that the Eset desktop icon spinning wheel behavior also continues after an update is completed and the scan after updating is running. There have been previously forum postings where posters noted issues with Eset scheduled off-line scans.

However in my case, the spinning wheel activity always occurs when Eset attempts to update but the update hasn't started yet. This debunks the "low priority" update execution statement since the update hasn't even downloaded yet. This also indicates that there is an issue getting a connection to Eset update servers at times.

• ESET Moderators
18 hours ago, itman said:

However in my case, the spinning wheel activity always occurs when Eset attempts to update but the update hasn't started yet. This debunks the "low priority" update execution statement since the update hasn't even downloaded yet. This also indicates that there is an issue getting a connection to Eset update servers at times.

I recommend to check the update status in the Update tab in the main GUI, the status should be correct there.

I'm afraid that I do not understand the "Eset attempts to update but the update hasn't started yet" part.

By update you mean the phase of applying the update files?

Peter

4 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

I'm afraid that I do not understand the "Eset attempts to update but the update hasn't started yet" part.

By update you mean the phase of applying the update files?

When I open Eset GUI and check update status, it is stuck at 1/3 update status. I am on a 1GB Ethernet connection using a 1GB DSL fiber network connection to my ISP. As such, my Eset detection update downloads are almost instantaneous. 

Edited by itman

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, itman said:

When I open Eset GUI and check update status, it is stuck at 1/3 update status. I am on a 1GB Ethernet connection using a 1GB DSL fiber network connection to my ISP. As such, my Eset detection update downloads are almost instantaneous. 

It'd be good to get advanced diagnostic logs from such update attempt when it seems to be stuck at 1/3 of the update phase.
Maybe an ekrn dump created via the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics would be useful too. When done, collect logs with ESET log Collector and we'll try to find out what's going on.

• ESET Insiders

And what comes from Eset's side when you send the data, that the traffic is encrypted and you don't see anything, as in my post about it, only these are rarely encrypted links, not as everyone claims, only what does the internet traffic have to do with this faulty module? Nothing.

Edited by SlashRose

As I posted in another thread on this issue after I deleted the Win 10 update cache, I have had no further issues with Eset detection updates. I had one delay of 5 mins. at boot time and that's it.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
14 hours ago, itman said:

Wie ich in einem anderen Thread zu diesem Problem gepostet habe, nachdem ich den Win 10-Update-Cache gelöscht habe, hatte ich keine weiteren Probleme mit Eset-Erkennungsupdates. Ich hatte eine Verspätung von 5 Minuten. zur Bootzeit und das war's.

Yes itman I had read that from you in the other topic and had also emptied the update cache, it took a while and then the problem was there again, just like with other users.

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

I was checking the status of the issue with ESET icon spinning and reporting that product update is in progress even though it was already completed.

The issue is not yet completely fixed, so there is still work on our side to fix it fully. (P_EESW-7608)

As of now we do not need further logs as it seems the root cause is known to the dev team.

I apologize for the confusion as I said it should be fixed in the latest version...

Peter

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

As of now we do not need further logs as it seems the root cause is known to the dev team.

I'd merely add that the known issue is a visual glitch that has no effect on system performance.

• Administrators
Just now, New_Style_xd said:

I understand that it shouldn't affect system performance, but nobody likes to have a problem like that on their computer screen, that's why it should be fixed quickly, don't wait for the next version of the antivirus.

Since we are close to the release of v15, we don't plan to release any further v14 hotfix unless there's a critical issue affecting stability.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

I'd merely add that the known issue is a visual glitch that has no effect on system performance.

Sounds like you are discounting the concern that users have when they are witnessing what appears to be a malfunctioning ESET product.  Users are always advised to keep their product fully updated.  When the spinning icon is telling them that the update process is not working properly, there is more than a little concern.  YOU may be aware that it is "a visual glitch", but users are not.

I have witnessed from some users that when they see this they feel that the system is slow the eset does not stop scanning, this gives a bad impression of the product.
If there is any kind of visual or even flaw in the product, it could send a fix quickly and the agent would download it by updating the modules. no need to wait to be released in a next version.

Appears there are multiple causes involved here. The ones mentioned are:

1. Windows update cache issues.

2. Eset update cache issues.

3. You name it ...........

Eset needs to provide built-in diagnostic capability for problems like this and other issues. Think along the line of Windows 10 "Fix-It" wizards. I for one am tired of the constant requests for Eset logs to diagnose product issues.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders
7 minutes ago, itman said:

I for one am tired of the constant requests for Eset logs to diagnose product issues.

I feel the same itman, especially because rarely anything comes out of it!

• Most Valued Members
12 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears there are multiple causes involved here. The ones mentioned are:

1. Windows update cache issues.

2. Eset update cache issues.

3. You name it ...........

Eset needs to provide built-in diagnostic capability for problems like this and other issues. Think along the line of Windows 10 "Fix-It" wizards. I for one am tired of the constant requests for Eset logs to diagnose product issues.

I have previously suggested a possible troubleshooter of some kind and possibly something that could detect issues non Eset related but security related e.g. detecting if RDP is active and unsecured e.g. no password, no group policy to prevent multiple attempts.

The thing is if there was something that was able to help identify and possibly fix issues it surely would be beneficial as it would mean less time. However I know it probably won't be as simple as I've described as there's probably a lot of potential issues.

16 minutes ago, itman said:

I for one am tired of the constant requests for Eset logs to diagnose product issues.

Amen!  And now we await the inevitable "but what are we supposed to do?" responses.