Alternative Password Manager

Lethal
Go to solution Solved by itman,

Hi,

I've been using eset for sometime and like it (way beta than avira or bitdefender for eg).

I am seeking an alternative to LastPass.

Does Eset a password manager (cant see any reference to one), failing that can anyone recommend a good free one (with unltd passwords held).

I am looking at either NordPass, Roboform or Dashlane...leaning at this stage to NordPass.

Appreciate any advise.

regards

That sounds great NewbyUser. It also looks fine.

However I only have a long standing Eset Internet Security Licence.

Doesnt expire til 2023. I wonder if marketed seperately?

regards

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, Lethal said:

That sounds great NewbyUser. It also looks fine.

However I only have a long standing Eset Internet Security Licence.

regards

Nope apart from the android version. I belive you can possibly upgrade your license however. You'd need to contact where you bought it from e.g. go to your countries eset site

Thanks peteyt,

I bought what I have directly (online).

Not even sure eset has an Australian site...

I have 'created a case' and I'll wait to hear.

Looks like an upgrade to smart security premium might b the G.O.

There are however some other fully functioned password managers out there. I particular refer to NordPass & BitWarden.

Both have sizeable advantages, and are economical.

Thx for the input!

• Solution
1 hour ago, Lethal said:

Appears Eset is using SaferPass as its password manager:

Previous versions of Smart Security licensed password management technology from Sticky Password, though the ESET version didn’t include all features of that product. With the current release the suite’s password management comes from a different, unspecified third party. Though the company wouldn’t confirm it, the presence of several unique features and attributes has me convinced that ESET licenses the technology from SaferPass.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/eset-smart-security-premium

The yearly cost of SaferPass equates pretty much to the cost difference between EIS and ESS:

Paying for SaferPass won't break the bank. At $1.99 per month or $19.99 per year, it's among the less expensive commercial password managers.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/saferpass

BTW - PC Magazine rates SaferPass as average.

Edited by itman

• 1 month later...

Some years ago I tried to get ESET's password manager to work and couldn't and initially went with LastPass.  I ditched it following a data breach and the move to only offer the free product to one device.  Now with Bitwarden and it's excellent.

NB. I haven't recently tried to get ESET's offering working.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Skier said:

Some years ago I tried to get ESET's password manager to work and couldn't and initially went with LastPass.  I ditched it following a data breach and the move to only offer the free product to one device.  Now with Bitwarden and it's excellent.

NB. I haven't recently tried to get ESET's offering working.

I should note that eset uses a different product now password manager wise 

Hi Skier & Peteyt!

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have found Bitwarden, and generally it IS great.

It is just NOT intuitive enough to cope with multiple google accounts.

Some thing I will (again) raise with them.

ciao

• Most Valued Members
13 hours ago, Lethal said:

Hi Skier & Peteyt!

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have found Bitwarden, and generally it IS great.

It is just NOT intuitive enough to cope with multiple google accounts.

Some thing I will (again) raise with them.

ciao

I use Sticky Password myself which ESET's old password manager was based on. It is okay but has some missing features and isn't really updated a lot.

I found in the past when job hunting some sites would use the same service and have the name in the subdomain which used to confuse it. Not sure if that is still the same 

• 1 month later...

I have used Lastpass so long, that I don't wanna start a new one. Nod32 antivirus is enough protection for me. I think the missing link most times, is people that are too click happy. If you use your head, you can avoid most threats, or that's my opinion. I was pleasantly surpriced when I tried Nod32 after having used Webroot over 10 years. I simply can't feel any difference on performance, and Webroot is supposed to be ultra light. Well done.

Fair comment Nevi! Indeed most people find windows defender enough, added to a decent firewall.

Still disappointing eset dont do a stand alone pw mgr.

I also tried Webroot some years back, and they clearly havent kept up with what is expected.

80% happy with bitwarden. cheers

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Lethal said:

Fair comment Nevi! Indeed most people find windows defender enough, added to a decent firewall.

Still disappointing eset dont do a stand alone pw mgr.

I also tried Webroot some years back, and they clearly havent kept up with what is expected.

80% happy with bitwarden. cheers

Did you look at upgrading? I only ask as now the premium version comes with an extra layer of security that no other home version has, LiveGuard, so you may find the upgrade worth it, depending on if you find the feature handy 

• 1 month later...

Although I am quite happy with most of eset related products and services so far, the password manager definotely wasn't one of them. I couldn't understand why the appstore reviews were so bad bad but after trying it, I understand better.

It is extremely difficult to navigate, sometimes requires you to sign into the main vault for no apparent reason and appears to only be supported on safari. I was going to use it as a back-up pwd manager but not going to bother as it's too inconveniant as a OS agnostic option.

I would recommend looking into bitwarden or saaspass (blockchain based manager) too to see if they are viable options for you. 

Whilst on the subject, I don't think there are any encryptd drive feature as part of eset suite for mac os client either? In which case you can use macfuse + cryptomator (both free) for encrypted file storage on mac. 

Thanks Peteyt,

LiveGuard? Cant see anything about it on the eset site...and your cant do a search on this site.

Smart security premium, is a big step up, and i been happy(ish) with ESET I.S.

cheers

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Lethal said:

Thanks Peteyt,

LiveGuard? Cant see anything about it on the eset site...and your cant do a search on this site.

Smart security premium, is a big step up, and i been happy(ish) with ESET I.S.

cheers

Hi

LiveGuard when enabled will temporarily block files downloaded that Eset hasn't seen before while it checks them out. It gives you the option to allow or wait for a result