Thunderbird Ver.31 Disables Eset Addon

Go to solution Solved by rugk,

Thunderbird just updated to version 31, and disabled the ESET Smart Security Extension 7.0.302.0, saying that it's incompatible with Thunderbird 31.

However, my ESS installation is up-to-date. Is there a fix for this ?

Hello,

You actually dont need the extension.

All mail is still scanned through the protocols it tunnels in on.

I think it became incompatible 20 versions ago.

Which version did you upgrade from?

• Solution

There's a "known problem" with ESET and Thunderbird. Thunderbird v 6.0 and later isn't compatible with ESET.

About this problem see this kb article: Which email clients are compatible with Windows ESET products?

And this is really no problem for maleware scanning (like Arakasi explained), but you can't use the spam protection from ESET in Thunderbird.

Edited by rugk

...phishing protection from ESET in Thunderbird.

if they click a link from mail, it will launch a browser and the phishing database should take effect i think through the browser.

Yeah. You're right. Not "phising protection" but "spam protection".

I corrected this.

Edited by rugk

Thanks for the replies and information.

Thunderbird was upgraded from ver.24 to ver.31

I didn't realise ESS was incompatible with Thunderbird in that way - it seems odd for it not to work properly with a popular email client.

Anyway, my ISP filters spam and viruses before releasing to my inbox, and I have that filtering configured to the strongest setting, so the fact that ESS doesn't do it isn't a major loss.

Dangermouse.........I use Thunderbird and am having to use Ver 5 so that ESET is compatible.  I wanted to know from your experience did ver 24 work with ESET? Was the ESET tool bar present in ver 24?  Thank you.  KOR-

Edited by KOR

Thanks for the replies and information.

Thunderbird was upgraded from ver.24 to ver.31

I didn't realise ESS was incompatible with Thunderbird in that way - it seems odd for it not to work properly with a popular email client.

Anyway, my ISP filters spam and viruses before releasing to my inbox, and I have that filtering configured to the strongest setting, so the fact that ESS doesn't do it isn't a major loss.

Afaik. The "problem" is the rapid release schedule that Mozilla uses wich makes it very hard for ESET to say compatible at all times, like ESET fixes compatibility with a version...then shortly after a new TB version is released...and so it goes more or less.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes like already posted in this topic the addon for the ESET spam protection isn't compatible with the new Thunderbird versions.

BTW I would also suggest you to upgrade to v8, because it provides better protection, because of new features like an Botnet blocker.

In the v8 of ESS you won't have a Thunderbird addon at all, because it's quite needless to install, because nearly nobody uses such old Thunderbird versions.