ESET Internet Security high RAM usage when downloading big files

Hello!

It seems to me like ESET Internet Security 14.2.24.0 on Windows 10 1607 x64 uses a lot of memory resources when downloading big files (40+ GB). I took full logs using the ESET Log Collector earlier today, if those are of any help.

For actual stats on the amount of memory consumed by ESET in that time, please check the images below.

high usage.PNG

memory 2.PNG

memory.PNG

They are archives of videos from Google Takeout. I suppose that would use the latest HTTPS standard, but I could check.

I don't know whether such archive exists publicly, but from Google Takeout they certainly are not public.

Thing is, ESET starts building up on memory usage even if Firefox just creates the 40 GB file, without the file being fully downloaded. The memory keeps going up even if I stop the download and erase the file.

I tried grouping the videos in 4 GB files and even then ESET is using a lot of memory: up to 2.5 GB.

EDIT: I also disabled ESET scanning new files, but the same thing happens.

Edited by antoniu200

• ESET Moderators

Hello @antoniu200,

O.K. thank you for the details.

Can you please take ESET service dump when the memory consumption is at 10 GB?

Try to download the large file again, wait until the memory consumption grows up

Open the ESET GUI -> Setup -> Advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics - Create diagnostic dump and click the Create button.

Once complete collect the logs by the ESET Log Collector, upload them to a safe location and send me a private message with the download details and reference to this forum topic, I will have them checked...

Peter

• 2 months later...

I've noticed a similar issue.

My PC isn't online for more than 6 hours and already ESET Service is at 3.5Gb RAM on a 64Gb machine

Untitled.png

• ESET Moderators

Hello @rrahim,

can you please check if the issue persists after module update and system reboot?

Some issues with memory leaks were fixed in modules recently.

If not, please let us know we will troubleshoot it with you.

Regards, Peter