Questions about Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware

When I was a kid, my grandpa bought Norton Anti-Virus for me. A premium version of Malwarebytes was also acquired by him.

Then a few years later, I find myself relying entirely on Windows Defender. Would a premium solution or a mix of solutions function better than Windows Defender in terms of detecting and cleaning up viruses and other malicious software? No, I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers or security, but I've never delved into anti-virus.

last But Not Least  before using Transcript for the first time, I wanted to clarify something about the Malware/Anti-Virus scans that are contained within Transcript. Thanks for your time. As a result, I have a number of files and applications (such Bitcoin miners, torrents, etc.) that are frequently flagged as false positives. In order to reduce the chance of accidentally deleting one of my usual apps when running an anti-virus check, can I select/choose which programmed are really removed? Are there any whitelists that I can set up if this is not feasible (and it just eliminates everything it finds)?

• Most Valued Members
17 hours ago, chrisjordan said:

When I was a kid, my grandpa bought Norton Anti-Virus for me. A premium version of Malwarebytes was also acquired by him.

Then a few years later, I find myself relying entirely on Windows Defender. Would a premium solution or a mix of solutions function better than Windows Defender in terms of detecting and cleaning up viruses and other malicious software? No, I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers or security, but I've never delved into anti-virus.

last But Not Least  before using Transcript for the first time, I wanted to clarify something about the Malware/Anti-Virus scans that are contained within Transcript. Thanks for your time. As a result, I have a number of files and applications (such Bitcoin miners, torrents, etc.) that are frequently flagged as false positives. In order to reduce the chance of accidentally deleting one of my usual apps when running an anti-virus check, can I select/choose which programmed are really removed? Are there any whitelists that I can set up if this is not feasible (and it just eliminates everything it finds)?

Not sure what transcript is but I've always preferred using a paid AV over a free one because as they say there's no such thing as a free lunch. 

In regards to Eset you can add files into exceptions. Eset also has a potentially unwanted application (PUA) option that alerts users of files that aren't technically malware but could be unwanted or possibly use suspicious practices. In regards to this option it is down to the user to decide if the positives outweigh the risks and you can set exceptions if you want to use them 

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, chrisjordan said:

I can't understand honestly what you mean by Transcript , but from my own experience , ESET is better than Windows Defender in lot of places , and for the false-positive scoring , ESET always score good with FPs at minimum rate , while Defender has much higher FP rate

In ESET you can configure it to not touch the PUA(Possibly Unwanted Applications) , torrents and miners will be mostly detected as PUA , unless the detected miner is a malicious one(runs without the user's knowledge/permission)

you can switch to an open source torrent client , which can take off the PUA detection because the open source ones won't use toolbars or other bad things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:31 PM, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

TronScript, perhaps?  Perhaps setting up a process exclusion for it would work.  Just make sure that you are whitelisting the script itself and not the command prompt.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks, For Responding, Let Me Try It.

Edited by chrisjordan