ESET Endpoint Security Protocol Filtering Proxy blocking connection for VPN product

Bob Gunn

We have deployed ESET Endpoint Security to our endpoints worldwide, including MacOS, Windows, and Linux devices. Most of our endpoints are Windows devices, however, we have a growing subset of users with MacOS devices. For one region, we have deployed the Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect VPN solution. Upon installing both ESET and GlobalProtect, we are finding that MacOS devices are unable to establish a connection to the VPN gateway. The issue appears to be related to the Protocol filtering proxy ESET is required to set up for Web and Email filtering.

The issue we are having is that we can disable the proxy in System Preferences and regain the ability to connect to the VPN, but we then lose the protocol filtering. Other members of my team have tried removing the proxy, but it returns with a restart of the system, which is expected.

Is there a way we can build a policy that this proxy is not affecting the connection with GlobalProtect, or do we have to lose out on protocol filtering all together?

Please let me know if you need further information.

For testing purposes, the device I am using is running MacOS 11.5.2, EES 6.10.900.0, GlobalProtect 5.1.6-16 on a 13-inch MacBook Pro 2019.