EES and duplicated emails in Outlook Conflicts folder

ShaneDT

I'm aware this has been a problem for a while, and many years ago I configured the 'Web and email / Email client protection / Alerts and notifications / Append tag messages' options all to Never on my ESET Protect management servers for my own and all my customers.

However this has come to my attention again as I had a customer contact me yesterday with Outlook issues, and upon investigating I found their Exchange Online mailbox had grown to 90GB, with 38GB in the Sync Issues \ Conflicts folder.

The 'Append tag messages' for this customer is set to Never. 

Yet it appears all of the conflicts are being caused by ESET. All of the Modification Resolution messages contain either of two common causes.

I also checked my own Conflicts folder and it has grown to 2.5GB (24GB mailbox). 

So either this 'Append tag messages' set to Never is not working, or something else is causing this?

My ESET Protect servers are on v8.0.1238 and EES installed is the latest version 8.1.2031. Windows 10 is up to date as is Outlook the latest version via Office 365 subscription.

Examples of the two sync issue error wording below.

10:40:25 Compare named property: EsetMessageFlag
10:40:25 Compare named property: Emon Scanner Build
10:40:25 Compare named property: EsetAntispamMsgHeader
10:40:25 Getting remote properties
10:40:25 Checking remote modifications
10:40:25 Compare (conflict) property: 0x007D001F
10:40:25 
10:40:25 
10:40:25 Not equal (conflict) property: 0x007D001F
10:40:25 Local modification: {00:40:15.0411  10/08/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}
10:40:25 Remote modification: {00:40:15.0453  10/08/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}
10:40:26 Conflict generated, remote item is winner

14:44:01 Overwrite named property: InTransitMessageCorrelator
14:44:01 Compare named property: Emon Scanner Build
14:44:01 Getting remote properties
14:44:01 Checking remote modifications
14:44:01 Compare (conflict) named property: Emon Scanner Build
14:44:01 Local: {I4:50051}
14:44:01 Remote: {Error (0x8004010F)}
14:44:01 Not equal (conflict) named property: Emon Scanner Build
14:44:01 Local modification: {04:44:00.0516  07/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}
14:44:01 Remote modification: {04:44:02.0246  07/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}
14:44:02 Conflict generated, remote item is winner

Also disabling the ESET Outlook add-in is not an option, this is one of the key reasons I use ESET.

Even with all my customers on Office 365, ESET regularly removes malicious emails.

• Administrators

Please provide the ID of the conflicting property. Modification of certain properties can be prevented and thus you would also prevent sync issues.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, ShaneDT said:

Hi Marcos, what ID are you referring to? I've included examples of the Modification Resolution email in Sync Issues above.

I'm sorry, overlooked it. Please try importing OutlookSyncIssuesFix_enable.xml from http://ftp.nod.sk/samples/OutlookSyncIssuesFix-EES6.zip and see if the issue goes away. It should help. In your case the conflicting property is "Emon Scanner Build", the xml is not expected to work only in case of ESETMessageFlag property conflicts (due to a bug discovered on July 23 which will be addressed in the next Endpoint v8.1+ service build).

Marcos, am I going to have to do that on every single one of my customers computers? That's hundreds of computers Marcos! And from Craig's post, that xml file doesn't work anyway!?

I'm right now looking at the realization that I have hundreds of GB's of emails duplicated to the Conflicts folder on hundreds of customers computers that will need to be cleaned up. Even if we assume that all of these duplicated emails are due to ESET, and therefore it's safe to just empty the Conflicts folder without backup or review, this is hours of work that my customers aren't going to be happy to pay me to do! If we assume that not all of these emails are due to ESET, and we can't just empty these folders without backup or review, this now becomes hundreds of hours of work!!

Marcos do you have instructions on where and how to import this xml file you linked earlier please?

I'm assuming from reading through the other thread that this is imported in the client itself which creates a new policy directly on the client? Is this how it works? If yes why can't ESET release a policy update for the ESET Protect Server so we can push this out as a policy update for all our client computers?

Also I've been trying disabling different settings tonight, none of these make any difference.

Force Enable ‘Disable checking upon inbox content change’.
Force Disable ‘Allow advanced antispam scan’.
Force Disable ‘Start email client antispam protection automatically’

I'm able to trigger these conflicts on demand by emailing myself news links from my iPhone. Sometimes this creates two duplicate emails in the Conflicts folder!

14 minutes ago, ShaneDT said:

I'm able to trigger these conflicts on demand by emailing myself news links from my iPhone. Sometimes this creates two duplicate emails in the Conflicts folder!

Actually looks like this was due to having Outlook open on both my office PC and notebook. With Outlook open on both devices EVERY email is getting duplicated to Conflicts! Makes sense I guess...