ESET options for potential Linux home users (single-device)

Guest AvocadoToast

Hello! Given the EOL of ESET NOD32 AV for Linux, as a single-device Linux home user, who's not an existing user (I've used a trial version so far), is there any viable option other than a business package for Linux? Will there be?

• Administrators

Due to a low number of ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux desktop users and increasing maintenance costs (e.g. building module updates for the product), we have decided to discontinue the product which will be fully terminated on Aug 3, 2022.

The only replacement product is ESET Endpoint Antivirus v8 which is rather not suitable for home users. The reason is the minimum number of seats to purchase is 5 and the gui is very simple for those who prefer tinkering with settings as EEA is intended to be managed via the ESET PROTECT console.

If there's a bigger demand for a Linux product from home users in the future we will be glad to offer you a product tailored for home users.

• 2 months later...
Guest John in NZ

After years as a Linux user protected by ESET, now you are abandoning Linux next year, so Microsoft and Apple win out again. I cannot believe it. We have a 5 device Home license paid up to 2023. My wife uses Windows and I have a Linux Laptop for all my work.

• Most Valued Members
50 minutes ago, Guest John in NZ said:

After years as a Linux user protected by ESET, now you are abandoning Linux next year, so Microsoft and Apple win out again. I cannot believe it. We have a 5 device Home license paid up to 2023. My wife uses Windows and I have a Linux Laptop for all my work.

You can still use the endpoint linux v8 but it's not available for Home Edition , but I believe once the Endpoint version is finished properly , ESET will have a home edition imported from the Endpoint version, but sadly Endpoint version must be controlled through ESET Protect or with command lines.

I don't think that ESET will abandon Linux , as Linux indeed market share isn't that big like Windows , but lot of critical machines do run Linux.