Surfing Freezes – Version 6?

Hi all

It's good to see version 6.0.13 has addressed the crashes that a number of us have been experiencing. My system is certainly not crashing any more so that’s a step forward.

However, I have noticed another issue which I want to ask others if they have seen it. It took me a few days before I realised it was happening but the frequency was so great that I know something is not right. Then my son told me this had recently started happening on his Macbook Pro.

So, what's happening?

In short, during normal internet browsing on my iMac, occasionally it 'hangs' and takes up to 15 seconds to load the page. The blue bar in the address bar pauses and the page load ceases/pauses. After that 'blip' ends, the next few page loads are near-instant. Then, suddenly, another page click will freeze. A refresh or re-click does not cause it to load, you just have to wait. I've experienced this across a number of sites, BBC, Amazon, some forums etc.

This was happening on Safari so I downloaded and installed Chrome for Mac - same outcome, intermittent hanging.

My broadband is fibre and a speed test shows 38Mb down and 11Mb up and it's rock solid - speed of data is not normally an issue. When the Safari surfing freezes, none of my other online software shows a disconnection (e.g cloud syncs continue OK, etc), router lights are all on etc. I really don't see this as a broadband connectivity issue. These lock ups can happen any time of day or night and I can pretty much guarantee I'll experience it within 2-3 minutes of clicking links.

So, I looked at what had changed on both those PCs and the common change was to install version 6.0.12 (i.e. a fixed version prior to the 6.0.13 official launch) of Cyber Security. So I decided to remove the software for a while from my iMac. I didn't experience the lock ups. Next, I tried installing the previous version 5. So far, after 24 hours, I have not experienced any lock ups. I have also asked my son to test his Macbook Pro given I have now taken that back to version 5 - it looks good so far but he's not done enough for me to declare success.

So, as many of you out there are now downloading 6.0.13 to fix the crashes, please can you let me know if you are experiencing any lock ups in normal surfing?

Edited by ITUserSC

• Most Valued Members

I've also been experiencing the exact same issues in Version 6.

As soon as Cyber Security is uninstalled, everything is back to normal again.

Being patient as much as possible, after a while I just couldn't take it anymore - every link is like a dead end, you need to click refresh about ten times before it finally decides to load the page for you.

I constantly saw in the logs in the Console, "Cannot write to socket" or "Broken pipe" or "Connect reset" all from esets_proxy.

Been having this issue since early June, and what's a little uncomfortable is that whilst experiencing these freezes, Cyber Security (and Pro) also no longer keeps anti-phishing and web protection active, so you're no longer protected on the web. It also links to Parental Control no longer monitoring connections either, every page goes through fine no matter the blocked sites you enter. To confirm this I visited the Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organisation Feature Settings Check, particularly the Phishing Page which ESET supports. If you test it shortly after installation, it blocks it fine. If you test it when you notice the freezes, it is not blocked.

If you uninstall Cyber Security (and Pro), then install it again, no freezes occur - it only starts to happen after a while, you need to leave it installed for a couple of hours, days, even weeks - it depends every time.

Restarting the Mac provides a temporary fix, until browsing starts freezing again and are left unprotected.

Edited by planet

Same here, latest ESET Cyber Security Pro (6.0.13.0) causes random freezing in browsers

I suppose it's better than the crashes the previous versions did, but it's massively inconvenient

In many ways, it's good to hear others are experiencing this as it means I am probably not going mad...well, not on this basis at least!

More time has passed since my original post and both my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro have been on version 5. In that time, I have experienced no blips in my surfing. So, Eset...looks like this one is over to you. It looks like 'planet' offers a little more insight than I had and some starters for a technical investigation.

I'll stay on v5 until there's a new version to test - it looks like v6 isn't quite right.

With the new version 6.0.13 not only surfing freezes, but I am unable to download any files from the Internet through my browser! I haven't even come to checking whether the kernel panics/system crashes were solved and reinstalled 5.0.115.0. I am baffled by the fact that ESET released a new version with such an obvious malfunction. I hope they will fix this issue soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

It has been submitted - Jonathan has the full details and all logs.

I experience the same problem on both my Macs. The Esets_proxy process takes up to 100% op CPU usage and Safari is not responding for a while. Killling the esets_proxy process and restarting Safari is a workaround for me, but this is not the way it should be. 

I contacted support and I was told it was fixed in 6.0.13. For sure it isn't!

Any updates about the support request ITUserSC?

I believe this is happening to other people. I have been testing a few bits with the guys at Eset but, as yet, no fix. I've stayed on version 5 for the last few weeks because v6 is so prone to hanging. 

Hope the Eset developers sort it out soon. I'd prefer to be on the latest version but it's just unusable on the two Macs in my house. 

• Most Valued Members

They are definitely still working on it (with multiple support requests it seems), hopefully there is a solution soon.

• 3 weeks later...

This issue has been bothering me since the 6.0.13 release on my macs. I even suspected an older router to be the cause. But as you can guess after replacing the old router for a new one the problems just continued. I now uninstalled eset from my macs and safari is working as it should, no more freezes, slow or no webpage loading. I am kind of disappointed in this problem which has cost me a lot if time, money and trying to figure out what i was doing wrong. I just cloud not accepted the apple policy 'please uninstall eset' because ive used this product quite happily for a while.

I have a lot of time left on my eset licences, but i am not sure ill return to the product, you frustrated me for over two months without solving the problem.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Internetter,

we are sorry for your bad experience we are trying to fix the issue, but it seems much more complex as usually.

The new build should fix all the issues with proxy reported, in case you are not willing to experiment please install version 5 till next release of version 6.

In case you would like to test experimental fix in v.6 please drop me a private message with reference to this thread.

Thank you.

Regards,

P.R.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

I'm having good luck so far with the recent 6.0.14.0 release in terms of the surfing freezes - curious to know if everyone else here is also not having any trouble? Using Safari on Yosemite.

Edit: Never mind, although I'm not experiencing any slowness, esets_proxy continues to crash and leave me unprotected for a few hours.

Edited by planet

I updated to 6.0.14.0 and for me this update seems to work well. Sites that previously caused 100% CPU usage are now responding in a way I expect.

Edited by QuaySo

• Most Valued Members

I updated to 6.0.14.0 and for me this update seems to work well. Sites that previously caused 100% CPU usage are now responding in a way I expect.

Glad to hear that, looking good so far...  :)

Same here, latest ESET Cyber Security Pro (6.0.13.0) causes random freezing in browsers

More time has passed since my original post and both my iMac and my son's MacBook Pro have been on version 5. In that time, I have experienced no blips in my surfing. So, Eset...looks like this one is over to you. It looks like 'planet' offers a little more insight than I had and some starters for a technical investigation.

With the new version 6.0.13 not only surfing freezes, but I am unable to download any files from the Internet through my browser!

This issue has been bothering me since the 6.0.13 release on my macs.

Wondering if you four are willing to try out the 6.0.14.0 release to see if this also resolves the surfing freezes for you? There's also a couple of other fixes and is OS X Yosemite compatible.

We have installed 6.0.14 and freezing is, unfortunately, still a big problem.

Also, restarting the mac triggers a 90 seconds wait before the system shuts down, probably due to wait for processes to terminate?

Uninstalling ESET remedies both problems, so CyberSecurity is defenately to blame. :(

Our computers are running OS X 10.6, 10.9 and 10.10 all experiencing same problem (latest software update on all OS).

Internet connection freeze can only be remedied by restarting.

Logout and login does NOT help!

Problem typically experienced after system sleep/wake.

• Most Valued Members

I have 6.0.14.0 ... so far no obvious freezing during surfing 

Great!  :)

We have installed 6.0.14 and freezing is, unfortunately, still a big problem.

Also, restarting the mac triggers a 90 seconds wait before the system shuts down, probably due to wait for processes to terminate?

Uninstalling ESET remedies both problems, so CyberSecurity is defenately to blame. :(

Our computers are running OS X 10.6, 10.9 and 10.10 all experiencing same problem (latest software update on all OS).

Internet connection freeze can only be remedied by restarting.

Logout and login does NOT help!

Problem typically experienced after system sleep/wake.

This is disappointing to hear.

The shutdown issue has it's own thread if you would like to contribute to it: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3341-os-x-shutdown-delay/

What you are describing in terms of the surfing freezes is very similar to how I was trying to explain it with earlier versions of Cyber Security 6, and I also noticed it especially after system sleep/wake.

Just to confirm if it's similar when you mention 'freeze', after clicking on a link or entering an address in the bar, the browser shows the progress bar and doesn't continue loading, eventually just showing a blank page or a browser error page, or it eventually loads after a very long time. I've noticed in the past that if you try to refresh at least four or five times really fast, the browser is then able to get through and load. If what I'm describing above is not what is happening, what happens during a 'freeze'?

Have you tried doing a complete uninstall then a fresh install (instead of just installing a new version on top of an existing installation)?

Edited by planet

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Unfortunately, I've also been experiencing the same 'surfing freezes' issues (with 3 different browsers) with version 6.0.14. Just talked to tech support and they gave me 6.0.13, but reading further above, it appears that version had the problem as well. Btw, this was also accompanied with my mail accounts being offline as well in my mail client. Uninstalling CyberSecurity fixes the issue every time.

I am experiencing this issue too and after downloading the latest version and uninstalling and reinstalling Eset three times I have run out of ideas. The problem seems to occur after the Mac goes to sleep, I get about 5 minutes after wake-up before HTTP access is shutdown. When the problem occurs all HTTP access is broken for hosts on the local network and all Internet sites. If I kill the Eset processes (especially Eset_proxy) then the browser springs back into life and I can browse in Safari or Chrome unimpeded.

Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I have same problem after waking from sleep.
esets_proxy has too many connections staying in CLOSE_WAIT at that time.

There is workaround for this problem:
sudo killall -9 esets_proxy

It will restart esets_proxy by esets_daemon.

I installed ESET Cyber Security Pro 6.0.14.0 right after clean install Yosemite.

• Most Valued Members

The only down side with force quitting esets_proxy (as well as other ESET processes) is that protection and stability is affected at times, meaning you won't be protected for phishing, malware domains, etc. for a while or until you shutdown or restart OS X.

Restarting the Mac is the safest option to go, until something is done...  :(

Restarting the Mac is the safest option to go, until something is done...  :(

Mhm...I have my fingers crossed for planet earth that they'll get it solved ASAP  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Am having the same problems. Restarting doesn't seem to do much for me. The red spinning wheel at the eset logo just keeps spinning and nothing else seems to work until it stops. Any help on the horizon?

I recently switched from Norton to ESET, ironically on the basis of a couple of reviews I read which said ESET was better integrated into mac than other security software and worked more silently!! (Norton was slowing down my machine too much). How wrong i was!! I tried the month long trial version and all was well, so I paid the subscription and Ive been having problems ever since. I am not computer savvy so I don't know what most of the jargon on these forums means, but basically ESET has done a few things which have made my computer useless unless I disable ESET.

Firstly the default settings did not have 'interactive' set for the firewall. So the software kept freezing and not letting me connect to the internet. I think ESET was also trying to update definitions or something while simultaneously locking me (and itself!) out of the internet!!

But I couldn't find anything within the ESET software telling me what process it was going through to tell me what had hung (just knew something was happening because the wheel at the top menu bar was spinning). I had to kill ESET (which was using 100% CPU) in Activity monitor. When I looked at the firewall log there were dozens and dozens of entries for that day saying 'communication denied by rule' and the rule was 'Deny Airport Base Station discovery. When I went stumbling around further I discovered that although i was using my home wifi which i had defined as 'home' in ESET firewall and the 'home' rules did not block anything, there was a red rule (for both in and out) in the 'public' profile entitled 'Deny Airport Base Station Discovery'.  So i unchecked that box within the rules for the public profile and suddenly safari could connect to the internet again!!! But why would this be the case if I was not using a public wifi, (and have never used public wifi, in fact), and since i installed ESET I had only ever used my home wifi, which I had defined in ESET as 'home' profile. I emailed ESET and they sent me a link to the manual. Nothing to specifically address the issue.  

In any case i thought I had solved the issue, but no. My computer continued to seize up. After stumbling around I discovered there was an interactive mode on the firewall so I have been 'allowing' everything that has popped up as a 'saved rule' for the 'home' profile. Some of them turn out to be things like Dropbox trying to synch, or other apparent mac core processes, and one adobe updater. But in so doing, ESET seizes up until I respond to the popup so an in-depth scan i kicked off overnight stopped 1/4 way in after another mac process tried to access the internet and as I was not there to OK it, everything stopped happening.

Currently, to cut an even longer story short, I am at the point where if i want to use the internet I have to turn off all scheduled scans, and disable the ESET options for Real Time File System Protection and Network traffic filtering, in order to turn on my computer, have other software respond, (such as microsoft excel or word) or connect to the internet in safari. So basically, I can't surf the web AND have web protection on at the same time, and i can't have scheduled scans unless i want them to prevent me using anything else while they are on and they take a long time to get through.

As a computer illiterate who only knows enough to be dangerous, I just want the defaults to work. Obviously this cannot be the case for ESET. SO can anyone tell me what settings I need to turn on or off in ESET to get the thing to BOTH protect me AND allow me to surf the internet in Safari?

Unless, of course, any of you think my being blocked off the internet in safari has anything to do with the bugs you are describing in this thread?

I have a macbook pro with OSX 10.8.5 and the version of ESET that came when I subscribed is 6.0.14.0

Thanks

PS I just tried to save an MS word document to a subfolder and couldn't. I could only save it to the parent document folder. So I turned off a process called something like eset deamon os something and voila! I can now save my word document to the subfolder again. So even though I had disabled real time file system protection and network traffic filtering, it was somehow blocking me from saving my word document to subfolders. I really know nothing about computers but this sounds pretty dysfunctional to me. Norton, although it slowed my computer down it NEVER interfered with me actually USING my computer to do normal things.