Update Agent Version

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

Servus Community,

I am in the process of rolling out the latest Agent version in our infrastructure and am having some understanding issues regarding version numbers. So far I have created a Component Upgrade Task and selected a server with the highest version number. However, the server that is displayed is listed as a Windows OS. Until now, I thought this meant the Protect Server type. In this case, the highest version was version 8.1.1223.0. I ran this task across all clients, whether Mac or Windows.

In an evaluation group of both operating systems, the task completed quickly and unproblematically, on both Windows and Mac. Only now the Mac shows an agent version 8.1.3215.0, which suggests a higher version than I actually specified. Where did that come from suddenly? On Windows it shows the above version, which is what I would have expected.

Can anyone explain this?

Thx & Bye Tom

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-28 um 14.43.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-28 um 14.26.22.png

Servus Marcos,

is this independent of the version displayed in the selection of the Referendare ESET PROTECT Server in the actual task? Here only version 8.1.1223.0 is mentioned.

I find it a bit magic when a task that only has Windows to choose also works on Mac and then also a higher version number is processed. This is all so correct and it works as you expect it? 😉

Thx & Bye Tom

• ESET Staff
  • Solution
5 hours ago, pronto said:

Servus Marcos,

is this independent of the version displayed in the selection of the Referendare ESET PROTECT Server in the actual task? Here only version 8.1.1223.0 is mentioned.

I find it a bit magic when a task that only has Windows to choose also works on Mac and then also a higher version number is processed. This is all so correct and it works as you expect it? 😉

Thx & Bye Tom

This seems to be an common misunderstanding and we should probably improve communication to users so that it is clear.

In case of components upgrade task, you are actually selecting version of ESET PROTECT Server component, that you can actually upgrade to. In other words, in case your infrastructure is based on ESET PROTECT Server for Windows, you will be offered only the same or later version for the same platform. This version is later used for selection of compatible AGENT installers. So for example, as you have selected version 8.1.1223.0 as compatibility version, when this task is executed on macOS device, ESET repository is searched for latest AGENT version for macOS, that is compatible with ESET PROTECT 8.1.1223.0. which is currently version 8.1.3215.0. So the most confusing part is that you are actually not selecting version of AGENT to be installed, but just reference version used for compatibility.