Taskbar icon shows "product update in progress" continually

SirMatthew

Using version 14.2.19.0.  The taskbar icon for NOD32 shows that it is actively doing something - so I hover over it and it says "Product update in progress."  When I open the main program, there IS no update in progress.  I manually tell it to update and it does and the icon in the taskbar STILL says it is updating.  It is using more resources when doing this.  The only way I've been able to get it to stop is to reboot.  I've done this a number of times.  Is there a setting I can change to stop this from happening or do I need to repair the installation? I thought I'd ask before trying anything. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Oops! Looks like your posting was overlooked.

There have been similar update issues posted foe users on ver. 14.2.19. Eset fixed the issue with ver. 14.2.23 but pulled that upgrade due to other technical issues.

At this point, you will have to wait till Eset posts a new update for ver. 14.2.19.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue is still going on with release 14.2.24.0 

I too find it very distracting having that icon animation running constantly. It is of little importance as nothing detrimental is happening, it is just very annoying.

- Tim -

I have the same problem. After the startup scan, the icon keeps spinning and says "Product Update in Progress." It doesn't stop and slows down my computer. If I reboot, it stops it, but that is a pain. I have 14.2.24.0

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Please check to see if there are pending (or missing) Windows Updates.  Allow those to run, restart the computer to apply them, and then see if ESET NOD32 Antivirus completes its updates.

Pending Windows updates can block the installation of other software programs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I tried a full reinstall, and at first it did stop the product updating anomaly, but less than 24 hours later and it's back. During that time the computer was off for several hours, on for a couple of hours, then shut down again. I just powered it up a few minutes ago, and the issue has returned.

- Tim -

• Administrators

By full reinstall do you mean unintallation and installation of the latest version from scratch with default settings? Didn't you change a single setting except enabling LiveGrid?

At least I'm not the only one with the issue.   It isn't a HUGE issue, but it DOES cause ESET to use more memory, but then I just reboot.  I am glad that a fix is probably in the works.  Even when it is using more memory, I swear it uses far less than just about every other AV program I've tried.  ESET is the FIRST AV I've used that didn't practically crash my computer when it scans or updates!  

• ESET Insiders
9 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hallo Leute,

Ich habe Protokolle zu diesem Problem von @Lockbits und das Problem wird vom Entwicklerteam überprüft (P_EESW-7598).

Bisher scheint es durch Änderungen in unserem Code verursacht zu werden...

Petrus

Oh Mr. Randziak, in another post, where I just replied to them, where it is also about this error, they wrote that this is normal and can take 20 minutes, very contradictory statements from them!

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, SlashRose said:

very contradictory statements from them!

There is no contradiction in statements. If you thing there is, please point out the two statements that are contradictory.

• ESET Insiders

Marcos it is a contradiction when you say that it can take up to 20 minutes and here Writes that it is an error in the changed code of Eset, is that answered?

• Administrators
21 hours ago, SlashRose said:

Writes that it is an error in the changed code of Eset

I'm sorry but I have no clue what you mean.

22 hours ago, SlashRose said:

Marcos it is a contradiction when you say that it can take up to 20 minutes and here Writes that it is an error in the changed code of Eset, is that answered?

Did you enable diagnostic logging?

All types of weird entries are written to the Eset Event log with that enabled. As long as an entry is posted in the Event log that the detection update successfully completed, that is all that matters.

The issue seems to have stopped.

This happened after 3 updates to Eset came down. The modules were: Detection Engine 23879, Rapid Response Module 18855, and a third one which seems to have disappeared from the module list today (it was there about 12 hours ago).

- Tim -

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Techowl said:

And it's back again.

This has been discussed recently. Updates are run with as low priority as possible so if other processes and tasks take a lot of CPU resources, the update may take several minutes. We've seen cases when it took 20 minutes.

If you want to investigate what is taking your CPU resources, please create an advanced operating system log from time when it's manifesting (adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> enable adv. OS logging).

• Most Valued Members
Just now, Marcos said:

This has been discussed recently. Updates are run with as low priority as possible so if other processes and tasks take a lot of CPU resources, the update may take several minutes. We've seen cases when it took 20 minutes.

If you want to investigate what is taking your CPU resources, please create an advanced operating system log from time when it's manifesting (adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> enable adv. OS logging).

It seems some are seeing Eset scanning for updates in the taskbar icon but eset itself in the update area isn't looking for updates. I've had issues myself with updates taking a while but I've never seen the icon claiming to be looking and eset itself not, but I've seen screenshots showing that it can do this

On 8/27/2021 at 7:41 AM, Marcos said:

The bug is just visual and should not have any noticeable effect on memory consumption. Will be fixed in v15.

Could you tell which month it will be released later this year?

• ESET Insiders
5 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

Could you tell which month it will be released later this year?

When it's ready. In general they release new major versions in October, towards the end of the month, but there isn't a specific date set afaik.

1 hour ago, NewbyUser said:

When it's ready. In general they release new major versions in October, towards the end of the month, but there isn't a specific date set afaik.

Is there any location showing a calendar of these updates?