NOD32 notifies me about a Windows Update that isn't actually available

Outcast

Recently, NOD32 14.2.20.0 began notifying me that an update was available on my Win10 20H2 machine:

"Microsoft Silverlight (KB4481252)"

The problem is that Windows Updates doesn't actually list KB4481252 as being available for install, even after I hit "Check for updates" and expand "View all optional updates".

It's nowhere to be found, which makes sense, since Microsoft released KB4481252 2.5 years ago.

I know I can configure NOD32 so that it doesn't display this update (by not displaying optional updates), but I don't want to do that. Is there some other way? This is annoying.

Edited by Outcast

• Outcast changed the title to NOD32 notifies me about a Windows Update that isn't actually available

I hope I've solved the problem. I ran the Microsoft "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package, and it showed the KB4481252 update. I chose the option to hide it. I haven't yet confirmed that NOD32 will stop seeing and notifying about the update.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-show-windows-updates-windows-10-a.html

• Administrators

We get a list of available updates from Windows. If you want to troubleshoot it further with a tool or script that gets the list of available updates in the same way as the product does to compare the results, I'd recommend opening a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

• Most Valued Members

i assume you have this option enabled or you didn't change it after installation, advanced settings > tools > microsoft windows update > critical updates.

windows 10 offers all available and recommended updates for our computers. Silverlight doesn't appear on my pc as well because MS doesn't think it's required anymore (at least i haven't seen it as an optional update for many years now). after all on October later this year support for Silverlight will stop.

personally i have selected the option "No Updates" on the advanced settings > tools > microsoft windows update cause i install everything that appears. :)

Edited by shocked

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

We get a list of available updates from Windows. If you want to troubleshoot it further with a tool or script that gets the list of available updates in the same way as the product does to compare the results, I'd recommend opening a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

I didn't realize until after posting in this forum (and then running the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter) that the update in question was actually being detected by Windows at all. It doesn't show in the regular Windows UI. I thought it was NOD32 being screwy.

I purchased NOD32 directly, not through a distributor. Would they really accept a ticket I opened with them?

2 hours ago, shocked said:

i assume you have this option enabled or you didn't change it after installation, advanced settings > tools > microsoft windows update > critical updates.

personally i have selected the option "No Updates" on the advanced settings > tools > microsoft windows update cause i install everything that appears. :)

I have "Optional updates" selected, because without NOD32 making me aware of some of these updates, I wouldn't see them unless I went out of my way to look for them in the Windows UI.

39 minutes ago, Outcast said:

I have "Optional updates" selected, because without NOD32 making me aware of some of these updates, I wouldn't see them unless I went out of my way to look for them in the Windows UI.

Since running on Win 10, Eset's Recommended updates setting has worked best for me.

Microsoft will in most cases bundle an optional update with a recommended one. An example is the optional monthly preview cumulative update. There is almost always a recommended .Net update pushed at the same time.  An exception was the recently out-of-band optional cumulative update to fix Xbox gamer issues. However, the instructions were not to install this update unless you had this specific issue.