ESET NOD problem with Opensuse Leap 15.3

After installing ESET NOD32 on the newly released Opensuse  leap 15.3 with KDE, I am amazed to discover that ESET NOD 32 is not running.

The installation didn't cause any problems. ESET will also request a restart. After the restart, the prompt to enter the user key did not appear. The ESET icon does not appear in the system tray either. According to KSysGuard, not a single ESET NOD process is running. Actually astonishing, because so far I had no problem with ESET, no matter which Opensuse version.

Is there already a solution for it? I hope i'm not the only one with this problem.

• Administrators

It's possible that this distro is not supported. I've asked a colleague to check it out and confirm.

Thanks for taking care. Hopefully there is a solution because I really like both Opensuse and ESET, the best security Solution.

• Administrators

We were unable to run EAV for Linux Desktop on OpenSUSE Leap 15.3 either. Unfortunately there are currently no plans to support OpenSUSE in the future. This may change if there's a reasonable demand for supporting it.

First of all, thank you very much for your efforts. Of course, if Opensuse has few users, it makes no sense to invest a lot of work in an adapted version. Ok, then I have to use another distro, bye bye gecko linux. Only one thing I won't change, of course ESET.

I am just curious if there is a fix coming for this issue, I used ESET on opensuse 15.2 and I have three licenses for different machines that I want to work on 15.3

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Bemmons said:

I am just curious if there is a fix coming for this issue, I used ESET on opensuse 15.2 and I have three licenses for different machines that I want to work on 15.3

This was answered above:

Unfortunately there are currently no plans to support OpenSUSE in the future. This may change if there's a reasonable demand for supporting it.

One more consideration. If ESET Nod for Opensuse is not further developed, then this should be indicated on the download page. Because currently Opensuse is explicitly named as a supported distro. I think this is misleading as of Leap 15.3.

I bought the license and am waiting for a solution from ESET. If ESET no longer supports the Opensuse distro, I would like my money back. I think basically the rule applies, money for value. ESET should be that serious, right?

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, petar said:

I bought the license and am waiting for a solution from ESET. If ESET no longer supports the Opensuse distro, I would like my money back. I think basically the rule applies, money for value. ESET should be that serious, right?

Please contact ESET Germany for a partial refund due to the missing support for the latest version of openSUSE.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, Marcos said:

Please contact ESET Germany for a partial refund due to the missing support for the latest version of openSUSE.

Hallo Marcos,

no thank you that is no longer necessary. From now on UBUNTU is the OS I prefer.

ESET works perfectly with UBUNTU.

21 minutes ago, petar said:on UBUNTU is the OS I prefer.

Sorry I mean, of course, distro and not os. 

• 1 month later...

I've bought an ESET license for my openSUSE Leap systems as well as my cell phone a few months ago. The idea of an "unified" secutity solution for all my IT devices seemed convincing to me.

Until now, Eset has had a good technology and a good reputation in my opinion...

But this move of withdrawing openSUSE support is quite disappointing.

On this page:

https://www.eset.com/int/home/antivirus-linux/

as well as on this page:

https://help.eset.com/eav_linux/4/en-US/?ud_ena_intro_requirements.html

...openSUSE is still explicitly listed as supported/required distribution. My expectation as a customer is: That problems Eset has with supported Linux distributions (or other operating systems listed as supported/required) will get fixed soon. Because this is how the word "support" is defined in my opinion...

Now a problem appears with openSUSE Leap 15.3 and the reaction of ESET is to simply withdraw openSUSE "support" -- suddenly and from now on! No time for the customers to prepare or to look for alternatives.

Beyond that, this is only announced at some thread at the support forum. On the websites listed above, openSUSE is still mentioned. This might lead other openSUSE users to mistakenly buy a license... On the openSUSE support forum a workaround was published. I will try this to be able to use my license further. But a renewal of the license in 05/2022 is now in question because I won't spent money for unsupported software on my systems which I can only use by doing workarounds...

But if Eset decided to (re-)support openSUSE again and fix the installer, everything would be fine again...

Edited by Spaceloop

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Spaceloop said:

Now a problem appears with openSUSE Leap 15.3 and the reaction of ESET is to simply withdraw openSUSE "support" -- suddenly and from now on! No time for the customers to prepare or to look for alternatives.

Full support for ESET NOD32 for Linux desktop ended in Q1 2020 (https://support.eset.com/en/kb3678). Currently the product is in the phase of limited support with EOL to reach in the following months. Holders of an ESET NOD32 for Linux desktop license will be eligible to upgrade to a replacement product.

image.png