ESET ARM64 firewall blocks too many apps

• ESET Insiders

I had to switch to "Interactive mode" to fix Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, OneNote.

Especially MS Teams was taking ages to connect and was because ESET was blocking the default ports that uses to connect. Once allowed, it restart working as usual.

I would suggest to preload some common APPS firewall rules with the installation / updates.

Edited by AlexMagik

• AlexMagik changed the title to ESET ARM64 firewall blocks too many apps
  • Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, AlexMagik said:

I had to switch to "Interactive mode" to fix Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, OneNote.

Especially MS Teams was taking ages to connect and was because ESET was blocking the default ports that uses to connect. Once allowed, it restart working as usual.

I would suggest to preload some common APPS firewall rules with the installation / updates.

I know people have had issues with Teams. Inbound connections are allowed in interactive mode but outbound connections are blocked I believe and Teams appears to have changed how it runs.

I don't have an ARM64 device but presume there is a firewall troubleshoot wizard like the non ARM64 versions have. You can use this to unblock blocked connections

• ESET Insiders

yes, changing to interactive mode, will trigger quite a lot of dialogs to allow/block... then will work.

my suggestion is to make these rules directly in allow, so that such software would work out-of-the-box, as a lot of users would not know about going interactive mode.

• Most Valued Members
43 minutes ago, AlexMagik said:

yes, changing to interactive mode, will trigger quite a lot of dialogs to allow/block... then will work.

my suggestion is to make these rules directly in allow, so that such software would work out-of-the-box, as a lot of users would not know about going interactive mode.

If you don't want the interactive mode because of so many popups it will bring , as peteyt said you can use the firewall troubleshoot wizard it can show you which ports are blocked in the recent time , that can help you open the ports while it's set in Automatic Mode

Edited by Nightowl
typo

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Nightowl said:

If you don't want the interactive mode because of so many popups it will bring , as peteyt said you can use the firewall troubleshoot wizard it can show you which ports are blocked in the recent time , that can help you open the ports while it's set in Automatic Mode

I think the problem is the user is finding many used programs are being blocked in automatic mode and not everyone would know where or how to use the troubleshooter.

I don't know how it works enough really. Are all outbound connections blocked or are some allowed e.g. for common programs.

• ESET Insiders

Exactly, if ESET can preset rules for common programs like Office, Teams, Slack, Skype, Adobe Cloud, etc.

no need to cover all, but if can cover the most common ones, would make the life of normal users easier...

• Most Valued Members

If I am not mistaken ESET should take rules from Windows Firewall , These programs should have added their rules to Windows Firewall and then shall be taken by ESET

Also Automatic Mode should allow them automatically , I wonder what happened.

Is this enabled ? image.png.0958dc1910d8c2f04d72be49bbd4ec4b.png

Edited by Nightowl

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Insiders
On 5/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, Nightowl said:

If I am not mistaken ESET should take rules from Windows Firewall , These programs should have added their rules to Windows Firewall and then shall be taken by ESET

Also Automatic Mode should allow them automatically , I wonder what happened.

Is this enabled ? image.png.0958dc1910d8c2f04d72be49bbd4ec4b.png

sorry for the late reply.

yes that item is enabled. but up to now, even interactive mode is quite annoying as often the same app/network/protocol comes up asking to be allowed (usually 3 times each time).

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, AlexMagik said:

sorry for the late reply.

yes that item is enabled. but up to now, even interactive mode is quite annoying as often the same app/network/protocol comes up asking to be allowed (usually 3 times each time).

One issue is eset doesn't have wildcards for firewall. A lot of programs, such as Microsoft stuff, have the version number in the folder name so each time it is updated a new alert is triggered because the filename has changed