ESET SysRescue Live, no prompt with cleaning options.

I ran ESET SysRescue Live, everything went well, found two objects, nothing serious, browser related, Babylon and some extension. I didn't have it on strictly, but in the middle, I didn't receive a prompt with cleaning options. In other words I couldn't delete the files in question, any ideas why I didn't get a prompt?

• Administrators

If you didn't enable "Scan without cleaning", it could be that the partition was hibernated and you chose to mount it in read-only mode. Couldn't it be the case?

image.png

image.png

Posted (edited)

I tried to scan again and set it up to ask me before cleaning any files, but still no prompt. I guess I just have to delete the files manually.

Edited by Scrooge McDuck

Per Eset KB article on SysRescue:

ESET SysRescue Live may not be able to clean detected threats in Windows Vista 64-bit, and Windows 8/8.1/10. Due to the file-system architecture of these operating systems, especially when the operating system is hibernated, ESET SysRescue Live cannot clean threats detected during scanning.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb3509-how-do-i-use-eset-sysrescue-live-to-clean-my-computer

I interpret the above to mean regardless of hibernated partition status, there may be files inaccessible to SysRescue and cannot be cleaned.

• Administrators

It's weird. If an action cannot be performed automatically you are asked for the action at the end of the scan:

image.png

I ran it from a CD and did the update, everything else seems to be working. I scanned several times, different settings, never got the prompt. I deleted the files manually, nothing serious detected.

I believe the issue with SysRescue involves what was detected:

On 5/5/2021 at 3:35 PM, Scrooge McDuck said:

I ran ESET SysRescue Live, everything went well, found two objects, nothing serious, browser related, Babylon and some extension.

Babylon as a rule requires it to be removed directly from the browser: https://www.myantispyware.com/2018/04/04/how-to-remove-search-babylon-com-chrome-firefox-ie-edge/ . I am surprised that SysRescue even detected it.