repair installation option isn't available when starting the downloaded installer again

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

• Most Valued Members

i downloaded and installed v14.1. everything went fine.
after running the installer again i noticed that the option to repair the installation doesn't exist, it never existed even on v13 and the previous v14 release.

is it by design that the installer doesn't have that option and i must perform the repair from the control panel > add/remove programs?

my local support insisted that this option does exist.

https://youtu.be/3Y44Q7xY5Z0

I couldn't make out what you were trying to do from the video you posted.

The only way I knew of running an Eset repair installation was via Control -> Programs as shown in the below screen shot. And you appear to be correct in that it appears that option no longer exists; at least in ver. 14.x. I believe it may have existed in ver 13.x, but not sure since it has been a while since I ran a repair install.

-EDIT- Just noticed the Eset uninstaller created a log file. The interesting part is:

MSI (c) (10:60) [17:07:18:857]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: ESET Security. Product Version: 13.1.16.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: ESET, spol. s r.o.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1602.

So it appears the last Eset ver. to support the repair option was 13.1.16.

Eset_Repair.thumb.png.b9b8c698c8d0d8e2decd5ad2cc9df0a9.png

Edited by itman

This is a bit hillarious.

Eset has a long KB article on how to repair your installation here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb5844-repair-an-existing-eset-installation-using-the-setup-wizard . The jest of the article is you have to uninstall and reinstall.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

It is not possible to install the same version of the product over an already installed version. You must uninstall it first.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

It is not possible to install the same version of the product over an already installed version

so it's by design. thanks.
any plans to change that behaviour? completely removing the product in order to repair (if the repair option from the uninstaller/control panel  doesn't help) it is somewhat of time consuming.

@itman after the auto-update i had the same options as your image and from my test by removing/reinstalling it, the "repair" button was returned by doing a complete removal using the safe mode uninstaller.

and your MSI log entry perhaps is incorrect, mine reports the correct version. i cleared all temp files and started the uninstall just for the window to appear and then i closed it. it reported the correct version.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a5d79a35119e09a99381cf6a5a102409.PNG

• Administrators
7 hours ago, shocked said:

so it's by design. thanks.
any plans to change that behaviour? completely removing the product in order to repair (if the repair option from the uninstaller/control panel  doesn't help) it is somewhat of time consuming.

It was changed in the past. The thing is the last msi installer you may have locally stored may be v12 or 13 so repairing v14 would actually downgrade to v12 or v13 and you'll need to download upgrade to v14 again which is not desired.

13 hours ago, shocked said:

@itman after the auto-update i had the same options as your image and from my test by removing/reinstalling it, the "repair" button was returned by doing a complete removal using the safe mode uninstaller.

Based on what has been posted in this thread including @Marcos statement that Eset's uninstaller is not being properly upgraded as far as Win installer info. goes, I would never perform an Eset repair via Win Programs uninstall option. I know I will never attempt one again.

Also Eset needs to fix this issue in regards to Eset in-product upgrades, or remove the Repair option from the uninstaller entirely.

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, itman said:

Also Eset needs to fix this issue in regards to Eset in-product upgrades, or remove the Repair option from the uninstaller entirely.

Actually there is nothing to fix in updates; in order for the Repair function to work we would need to download also the whole msi installer each time the product updates just for the sake of the repair function. That would mean downloading ~55 MB instead of ~5 MB or less. As far as I remember the Repair option was removed / disabled in the past but I'll discuss it with devs tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Marcos said:

As far as I remember the Repair option was removed / disabled in the past

Not according to what @shocked posted here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/28300-repair-installation-option-isnt-available-when-starting-the-downloaded-installer-again/?do=findComment&comment=133234

• Most Valued Members

my guess is that the in-product update (if i'm saying it correctly) updates only the files in the Program Files folder, it doesn't recompile the msi file that is stored in C > Windows > Installer, that's why the repair option was missing after the auto update, and it came back after a clean install.

if that's the case then it might be expected behaviour unless the dev team finds a way to recompile the msi file after a successful in-product update.

• Administrators
  • Solution
29 minutes ago, shocked said:

if that's the case then it might be expected behaviour unless the dev team finds a way to recompile the msi file after a successful in-product update.

This is not possible without downloading the whole msi installer. After a microPCU update has been applied, the Repair option changes to Export.

• Most Valued Members

my query has been solved and i assume the topic can be considered as solved :)