Does Daily Scan slow computer?

scottls59901
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I scheduled a Daily scan at 1pm (only takes 3-3.5 minutes)-

When I scheduled- they recommended once a week? 

Changes take several days to take effect?

Should I change it to weekly, and which day is best?

• Administrators
  • Solution

Any scan, especially on-demand scan takes CPU resources. If it takes only a few minutes to scan your PC, it's ok to scan it once a week. However, with further files being created the scan time may increase substantially, especially if you save big archives to the disk. Personally I don't schedule any on-demand scans since files are scanned upon access and execution by real-time protection and HIPS-based protection modules. That said, an on-demand scan may detect threats in archives, however, in this form the threats do not pose any risk since they would be detected by real-time protection upon extraction from the archive.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, Marcos said:

Any scan, especially on-demand scan takes CPU resources. If it takes only a few minutes to scan your PC, it's ok to scan it once a week. However, with further files being created the scan time may increase substantially, especially if you save big archives to the disk. Personally I don't schedule any on-demand scans since files are scanned upon access and execution by real-time protection and HIPS-based protection modules. That said, an on-demand scan may detect threats in archives, however, in this form the threats do not pose any risk since they would be detected by real-time protection upon extraction from the archive.

Thank you for the detailed reply!-

The main reason I do a Daily scan, is for rootkit detection (I was infected before ESA). Are they scanned for, when I open Google Chrome?

You are correct about scan times increasing!

I will stop scan, and let you know?

• Administrators

Rootkits are not common these days. Moreover, ESET leverages Anti-Stealth and scans objects in startup locations to detect malware at an early stage of system startup, including possible active rootkits. If you are concerned about rootkits, you can run a disk scan with ESET SysRescue from time to time.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:04 PM, Marcos said:

However, with further files being created the scan time may increase substantially, especially if you save big archives to the disk. 

I removed the Tick from Daily scan yesterday, and my system is Much Faster today...

After two months of Daily scans- I probably have Huge created scans...!"-

How do I permanently Delete them?

• Administrators

If you mean how to delete generated on-demand scan logs, you can keep them unless they are really huge and take up disk space. Logs are deleted after 90 days automatically by default or you can delete them manually after selecting "Computer scan" from the drop-down menu in the Log files window.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, scottls59901 said:

I removed the Tick from Daily scan yesterday, and my system is Much Faster today...

I removed the Tick/ got a Win confirm, but the Daily Scan scheduler I created is still there!?

I would assume that it is still being loaded, in case I want to later run it (Not!)-

How do I completely delete/remove it? see snip-

DailyScan.jpg.420d39471f9b8fa299f089ef09ab83cd.jpg

• Most Valued Members

otherwise click the Default button located at the bottom, it will revert all changes to default values and remove any custom tasks added by you.