Newcomer

I was hacked about a month ago and blamed Earthlink for doing something during an overnight email maintenance that opened me up to being hacked.  My account information was changed, as well as my email password.  The hackers also deleted and/or stole my regular emails and trashed emails.  Spoofs were sent out that seemed rather innocent.  Only several spoofs asked for money.  Could this be another hack of ESET?

Gordon

• Administrators

Home users are not important for attackers since the chance of getting them to pay the ransom is low and the amount of money they may get from them is quite low compared to what companies could pay for valuable data.

It is not clear what exactly happened. It would require a deeper forensic analysis to find out if you were actually attacked, what was the attack vector and what actions the attackers performed.

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, MacLean said:

Could this be another hack of ESET?

what do you mean with this statement? Eset doesn't hack people if that's what you mean. if your internet/email provider was hacked, that has to do with their own security programs and protection tactics.

having an AV installed on your pc can protect your pc/files only, not your internet provider.

12 hours ago, MacLean said:

I was hacked about a month ago and blamed Earthlink for doing something during an overnight email maintenance that opened me up to being hacked. 

Again, only a detailed forensic analysis would show where the e-mail hack occurred. Based on your statement, it appears that it occurred against Earthlink e-mail servers. If this is indeed the case, the attacker probably harvested e-mail logon data from the servers and used that to gain access to your e-mail and e-mail account.