High use of Memory by ESET Internet Security

On 5/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Marcos said:

That's not how customer care should close a support ticket. If they have no idea they are obliged to contact ESET HQ for assistance. If you wish, we can look into it, but please create a new topic for this issue first. Also make sure that you are able to reproduce the issue after installing the latest version from scratch with default update settings.

Hello, Marcos. In theory they did, it was a very long process from July up to February. Sometimes the answers were ridiculous and even contradictory. For example, say that there is no problem and I was watching problems where there were no, and immediately then recognize that there was evidently a synchronization problem. So, there was a problem. Or say that now the ESET product doesn't search for updates regurlarly every 60 minutes but randomly (but the product still was showing in settings the search every 60 minutes). And the last one was to say that could be possible to make a test with something that I wouldn't know how to translate into English (it's a rare technicality), but that they spent a long time with this matter and closed it.

BTW, I was checking last days and the version 14.1.20.0 and seems fixed someway the synchronization problem of ESET that began with the 13.2.14.0 version in July. Now, fortunately, it search updates every 60 minutes. I know because despite the task I created to to search for updates every 60 minutes, the update task that is configured by default with the product was still looking for updates aletoriously, so that in 60 minutes it was updated twice: one by the task created ex profeso and one random by the task configured by default. Now it search for updates only every 60 minutes.

On the RAM usage, probably may of you faced two days ago the problems with Microsoft Outlook. It was fixed, but was necessary to reboot the computer... so again the usage of RAM dropped like after every reboot. I'll see what happens next days.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I didn't write this from these days, health problems.

The problem with using RAM seemed resolved, but in the last week it has reappeared again, although not in the same form. For some reason the ESET product returned to normality and was using an average of 150 MB of RAM, increased slightly during the on-demand scan, and then returned to 150 MB of average. Last two weeks, no. It began increasing again, slowly but persistent, to 260 Mb and never diminishes, only increases. You can see it in the first screenshot. If every time week increases around 50 Mb of RAM usage I will have the same problem again in some weeks: excessive RAM usage.

Second problem. It appeared that the random search for updates issue had been fixed with version 14.1.20.0. But in the last few days I have observed a new randomness. In the second screenshot you can see that the computer was switched on at 22:09 hours and updated (red arrow). It should have searched for updates at 23:09, 00:09... every 60 minutes. But you can see on the yellow arrows that the ESET product searched for updates at 23:58 and has a new search scheduled at 00:58. Both in the task that is configured by default with the ESET product and in the task that I created to compensate for the randomness of the update search. One more time it searches when it wants.

No updates of Windows or any other program happened during this last two weeks. I have in few programs. The ones I need and no more.

And the version of the protection module is already 1425, but the date of compilation is April 16, 2021. In April it was not released the 1425, it was still the 1423. I could use the 1425 thanks to pre-release option. Why date of release is April I it was released in May?

And again I have problems with the safe browser.

ESET memoria 17.jpg

ESET actualización 6.jpg

• Administrators

260 MB of RAM is not too much if it doesn't grow much more and doesn't free up after some time. It's relatively high but not unusual. Not long ago it was quite normal as you can see here:

image.png

What is ekrn memory usage after approx. 5 minutes after you turn on the computer and Windows starts?

As for updates, scheduled tasks are not the only triggers so it's nothing unusual if you see update being run according to the scheduler.

And the version of the protection module is already 1425, but the date of compilation is April 16, 2021. In April it was not released the 1425, it was still the 1423. I could use the 1425 thanks to pre-release option. Why date of release is April I it was released in May?

Unfortunately it's not clear what do you mean by the protection module. The latest engine is 23442 built on June 11.

And again I have problems with the safe browser.

Please elaborate more on this.