High use of Memory by ESET Internet Security

On 5/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, Marcos said:

It was released to both. When switching to the pre-release channel or vice-versa, only modules are updated, not the program.

Thanks, Marcos.

The usage of RAM raised up to 200 Mb, not very high.

On the oher hand, I found out something weird tonight and is the first time it happened me with ESET. You can see in the screenshot, on starting the computer, the product ESET made by his own a scan of a few files. Result in the screnshot.

The point here is that there are no files with those names in D:\Mis Descargas. Absolutelly there aren't such files. Plus the fact that it says six files were examined but there are only three names of files. What is it? Is this some error?

I have still the active the pre release updates, don't know if it's relevant.

Thanks in advance.

ESET scan.jpg

Edited by AlSky

2 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Did the pre release updates fix your issues?

Perhaps yes but something weird happened tonight, I don't know if it has relation with new version of the product or anything else. I wrote right now about it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

Did the pre release updates fix your issues?

And after returning to normal update... again I have the version 1423 of the module of Internet protection instead the 1425.

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, AlSky said:

And after returning to normal update... again I have the version 1423 of the module of Internet protection instead the 1425.

Yeah 1425 is only on pre release so every time you disable it will go back to the old version I think 

53 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Yeah 1425 is only on pre release so every time you disable it will go back to the old version I think 

Correct.

I really don't know how many times it has to be explained to get it across how pre-release updating works. Again, one will only receive pre-release modules if one has set Eset product update channel to pre-release version.

13 hours ago, peteyt said:

Thanks. Just I thought that it would be included in the versions 14.1.19.0 or 14.1.20.0 released few days ago.

But the usage of RAM is growing again and t's weird what happened with the scan. I showed a screenshot about it. I know ESET is running constantly searching for malware, system protection runs in the background, not only when I make a on-deand scan, but it's the first time that ESET send an message telling "no malicious files found" during such search (then should do it constantly, no malicious files found, ) and showing names files that don't exist in the folder where supposedlly they were analized. I know such files don't exist because the folder Mis Descargas (My Downloads) in D disk is the folder where files downloaded from net go to and is empty. ESET couldn't analyze files there. I don't know what kind of error is this.

12 hours ago, itman said:

Correct.

I really don't know how many times it has to be explained to get it across how pre-release updating works. Again, one will only receive pre-release modules if one has set Eset product update channel to pre-release version.

When it was explained for the first time weren't released the new versions of ESS. I thought that the new module would be included in the versions 14.1.19.0 or 14.1.20.0 released few days ago. It seems no because I have the last version but module 1423.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, AlSky said:

When it was explained for the first time weren't released the new versions of ESS. I thought that the new module would be included in the versions 14.1.19.0 or 14.1.20.0 released few days ago. It seems no because I have the last version but module 1423.

Modules are not included in installers. They are downloaded after activation. Also if you switch between the release and pre-release channel, existing modules are deleted and available modules are downloaded.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, AlSky said:

Thanks. Just I thought that it would be included in the versions 14.1.19.0 or 14.1.20.0 released few days ago.

But the usage of RAM is growing again and t's weird what happened with the scan. I showed a screenshot about it. I know ESET is running constantly searching for malware, system protection runs in the background, not only when I make a on-deand scan, but it's the first time that ESET send an message telling "no malicious files found" during such search (then should do it constantly, no malicious files found, ) and showing names files that don't exist in the folder where supposedlly they were analized. I know such files don't exist because the folder Mis Descargas (My Downloads) in D disk is the folder where files downloaded from net go to and is empty. ESET couldn't analyze files there. I don't know what kind of error is this.

Are you back on the pre release version as you'll need to be to properly test if there are any improvements.

I'm not sure about files that aren't there myself. Do you have the option in explorer to show hidden files/folders?

23 hours ago, peteyt said:

Are you back on the pre release version as you'll need to be to properly test if there are any improvements.

I'm not sure about files that aren't there myself. Do you have the option in explorer to show hidden files/folders?

Hello again and thank you very much for your attention.

As I said, I re-selected the normal update option. The ESET product was updated back to the old modules, but the product version is the last one, 14.1.20.0, or at least that says the ESET product updates window.

The use of RAM has raised up again without even doing an on-demand scan.

On the strange scan of the ESET product, there is no hidden file.

It's strange because the scan says it has examined six files, but only shows the name of three of them. Why only three and not the six analysed files? Why did a message appear saying that the scan (a scan of the system protection running in the background) has not detected malicious files? If the system protection in real time had to show that there are no malware detections it would be continuously displaying such messages, so it only does so when it does detect malware. That message is really strange.

ESET version.jpg

Edited by AlSky

On 5/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, Marcos said:

Modules are not included in installers. They are downloaded after activation. Also if you switch between the release and pre-release channel, existing modules are deleted and available modules are downloaded.

Thank you, Marcos. Yes, I understand this. Just I suppossed that as we started on thi topic when a previous version of the ESET product was in use, I thought that the last released version, 14.1.20.0, would contin too the 1425 version of the module of Intenet protection. But it seems that the last version keeps still the version 1423.

4 hours ago, AlSky said:

It's strange because the scan says it has examined six files, but only shows the name of three of them. Why only three and not the six analysed files? Why did a message appear saying that the scan (a scan of the system protection running in the background) has not detected malicious files? I

I guess you're referring to this posting: https://forum.eset.com/topic/27927-high-use-of-memory-by-eset-internet-security/?do=findComment&comment=133565 .

I have never seen anything posted to the Eset Computer Scan log that was not manually initiated via some user activity; either a manual or previously setup scheduled scan. Are you positive you didn't perform a manual scan on a download perhaps via Win Explorer Context menu Eset scan option?

As far as what appears in an Eset scan log entry, it will only show either malicious/PUA detections or files that Eset couldn't scan because they were locked from Eset access by the Win OS. The scan log entry never shows all files that were scanned by Eset. Finally and referring to the aforementioned, Eset on demand scanning will not show a desktop alert if malicious files are found unless the ThreatSense "Cleaning level" for the scan profile being used specifies that user action is required.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, AlSky said:

Hello again and thank you very much for your attention.

As I said, I re-selected the normal update option. The ESET product was updated back to the old modules, but the product version is the last one, 14.1.20.0, or at least that says the ESET product updates window.

The use of RAM has raised up again without even doing an on-demand scan.

It's strange because the scan says it has examined six files, but only shows the name of three of them. Why only three and not the six analysed files? Why did a message appear saying that the scan (a scan of the system protection running in the background) has not detected malicious files? If the system protection in real time had to show that there are no malware detections it would be continuously displaying such messages, so it only does so when it does detect malware. That message is really strange.

ESET version.jpg

You need to renable the pre release updates. You mentioned the RAM went right up but you aren't on the pre release update and it is the pre release version that may have fixed fixed the issue.

Ideally you'll need to renable the pre release updates and run for a few days to see if it makes any difference

6 hours ago, itman said:

I guess you're referring to this posting: https://forum.eset.com/topic/27927-high-use-of-memory-by-eset-internet-security/?do=findComment&comment=133565 .

I have never seen anything posted to the Eset Computer Scan log that was not manually initiated via some user activity; either a manual or previously setup scheduled scan. Are you positive you didn't perform a manual scan on a download perhaps via Win Explorer Context menu Eset scan option?

As far as what appears in an Eset scan log entry, it will only show either malicious/PUA detections or files that Eset couldn't scan because they were locked from Eset access by the Win OS. The scan log entry never shows all files that were scanned by Eset. Finally and referring to the aforementioned, Eset on demand scanning will not show a desktop alert if malicious files are found unless the ThreatSense "Cleaning level" for the scan profile being used specifies that user action is required.

Thank you for your answer, itman. I positively affirm that I didn't perform a manual scan neither scheduled scan was performed.

It was me the first surprised to see that message, less than one minutes ago I had switched on the computer, I opened the ESET window to see if in the last update (which is done just after detect network connection) the Internet protection module had been updated to 1425 version and the first I saw that there was an Analysis warning indicating that the analysis was complete. I thought: "Analysis? Which one?". I checked and saw that, indeed, it seems that ESET had analyzed some files on disk D, folder Mis Descargas (My Downloads), and that everything was ok, there were no malicious detections, but I repeat that I hadn't performed any manual analysis, that the files ESET says it examined (at least the three whose names are seen from the six supposedly examined) didn't exist in that folder. The folder was empty. Hardly ESET could analyze something there. And even more surprising the fact that if it was an action of the system protection module, which is always running and scanning in background without intervention of the user, there was no malware detection, ESET should have indicated nothing because there was nothing to warn about.

It's quite strange. An error?

5 hours ago, peteyt said:

You need to renable the pre release updates. You mentioned the RAM went right up but you aren't on the pre release update and it is the pre release version that may have fixed fixed the issue.

Ideally you'll need to renable the pre release updates and run for a few days to see if it makes any difference

Thanks for your answer. I thought it too, but the point is the following: with the other problem I mentioned above, the strange ESET non demanded scan on non-existing files in an empty folder, it's obvious something is wrong. Don't know if it's wise reeabling the pre release updates that, as you said, ESET recommends use the pre release updates for general use if it's not an important work computer. It'm my main computer right now, I don't want run the risk of some issue that can affect even more. Let's check other people all issues there can be with the module. If it wasn't released with the last version of ESS there must be a good reason for that, they must be doing more tests.

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Thanks for your answer. I thought it too, but the point is the following: with the other problem I mentioned above, the strange ESET non demanded scan on non-existing files in an empty folder, it's obvious something is wrong. Don't know if it's wise reeabling the pre release updates that, as you said, ESET recommends use the pre release updates for general use if it's not an important work computer. It'm my main computer right now, I don't want run the risk of some issue that can affect even more. Let's check other people all issues there can be with the module. If it wasn't released with the last version of ESS there must be a good reason for that, they must be doing more tests.

I've not seen anyone with your exact issue. The problem is without testing the pre release you won't know if that fixes your problem. It probably will eventually go public but I don't know how long that takes.

• Most Valued Members
30 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Thank you for your answer, itman. I positively affirm that I didn't perform a manual scan neither scheduled scan was performed.

It was me the first surprised to see that message, less than one minutes ago I had switched on the computer, I opened the ESET window to see if in the last update (which is done just after detect network connection) the Internet protection module had been updated to 1425 version and the first I saw that there was an Analysis warning indicating that the analysis was complete. I thought: "Analysis? Which one?". I checked and saw that, indeed, it seems that ESET had analyzed some files on disk D, folder Mis Descargas (My Downloads), and that everything was ok, there were no malicious detections, but I repeat that I hadn't performed any manual analysis, that the files ESET says it examined (at least the three whose names are seen from the six supposedly examined) didn't exist in that folder. The folder was empty. Hardly ESET could analyze something there. And even more surprising the fact that if it was an action of the system protection module, which is always running and scanning in background without intervention of the user, there was no malware detection, ESET should have indicated nothing because there was nothing to warn about.

It's quite strange. An error?

Have you looked to see if anything is hidden by default in file explorer?  Although it was just a jpeg so it shouldn't be hidden.

Edited by peteyt

53 minutes ago, AlSky said:

It was me the first surprised to see that message, less than one minutes ago I had switched on the computer, I opened the ESET window to see if in the last update (which is done just after detect network connection) the Internet protection module had been updated to 1425 version and the first I saw that there was an Analysis warning indicating that the analysis was complete. I thought: "Analysis? Which one?". I checked and saw that, indeed, it seems that ESET had analyzed some files on disk D, folder Mis Descargas (My Downloads), and that everything was ok, there were no malicious detections, but I repeat that I hadn't performed any manual analysis, that the files ESET says it examined (at least the three whose names are seen from the six supposedly examined) didn't exist in that folder.

Eset performs background scans at system startup, after module updates, etc.. These scans are not logged and therefore don't show in the Eset Scan log.

One possible explanation is when you switched to pre-release updating resulting in Internet module ver 1825 being downloaded, there was some type of Eset "hiccup" resulting in a scan creating a log entry it shouldn't have. I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

12 hours ago, itman said:

Eset performs background scans at system startup, after module updates, etc.. These scans are not logged and therefore don't show in the Eset Scan log.

One possible explanation is when you switched to pre-release updating resulting in Internet module ver 1825 being downloaded, there was some type of Eset "hiccup" resulting in a scan creating a log entry it shouldn't have. I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

Thanks for your answer, itman.

That's exactly what worries me, that ESET running in the background doesn't warn of such a task except if detects some malware. However, ESET worked as if had been working under an on-demand scan, but I did NOT do such. And to make it even stranger, it scanned non-existent files because the My Downloads folder was empty.

Your explanation is feasible, but I'm worried that the analysis module might not work well. Since version 13.2.14.0 and successive I have accepted that the update module running randomly (isn't updated every 60 minutes as configured by default and it was necessary to create a specific task to correct this failure) and that the protected browser stops working from time to time (last last month, I explained it here), but I worry that the analysis module that is the backbone of an antivirus might have some fail.

13 hours ago, peteyt said:

Have you looked to see if anything is hidden by default in file explorer?  Although it was just a jpeg so it shouldn't be hidden.

Hello and thanks for answering. Yes, I checked if there are hidden files and no, thare aren't. So the ESET scan module worked as under on-demand scan (but I didn't performed on-demand scan, I literally had no time to open the ESET and perform it when it already was done this misterious scan) analyzing non-existing files. Quite strange.

• Administrators

ESET doesn't and cannot scan non-existent files. I'd recommend opening a new topic for this weirdness and we'll investigate it. Please upload a Procmon log from the scan in the new topic as well as information about the folder you scanned.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Since version 13.2.14.0 and successive I have accepted that the update module running randomly (isn't updated every 60 minutes as configured by default and it was necessary to create a specific task to correct this failure)

We are not aware of any issues with the default update task that it would not run in 60 min. interval by default. I'd recommend opening a new topic for further troubleshooting.

23 hours ago, Marcos said:

We are not aware of any issues with the default update task that it would not run in 60 min. interval by default. I'd recommend opening a new topic for further troubleshooting.

Hello, Marcos. I did it time in July 2020 with the tech-support of ESET Spain and the result in february 2021 was "we have no idea but all is ok". So, I let it be. Just there is a desynchronization in the module of search of updates. By defect the product ESET is programmed to search for updates on having detected connection to the network and every 60 minutes from this moment until the computer is switched off or enters in hibernation. But it does not work this way. It was necessary to create a task so that the product ESET search for updates every 60 minutes.

Even once in September it stopped searching for updates, there was no error message at all and the options of searching for updates were marked when detecting network connection and every 60 minutes since then. But it didn't work to search updates. The only way to repair it was to uninstall and reinstall. I also commented it here among the failures that my ESET product had suffered in recent months. Well, let's hope it dodn't happen again.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AlSky said:

Hello, Marcos. I did it time in July 2020 with the tech-support of ESET Spain and the result in february 2021 was "we have no idea but all is ok".

That's not how customer care should close a support ticket. If they have no idea they are obliged to contact ESET HQ for assistance. If you wish, we can look into it, but please create a new topic for this issue first. Also make sure that you are able to reproduce the issue after installing the latest version from scratch with default update settings.