High use of Memory by ESET Internet Security

• Administrators

Yes, the module should address the memory issue that you encountered. It will be eventually released to all users automatically.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Yes, the module should address the memory issue that you encountered. It will be eventually released to all users automatically.

Thank you very much. Right now the Internet protection module I have installed in the 1423. When it's released and installed the 1425 I'll report here the news, if the issue is solved or not. Thanks again.

19 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Thank you very much. Right now the Internet protection module I have installed in the 1423. When it's released and installed the 1425 I'll report here the news, if the issue is solved or not. Thanks again.

It might be some time till update module 1425 is released via regular update channel.

As @Marcos posted if you want to receive ver. 1425 ASAP, you have to modify Eset GUI Update settings to use the pre-release update channel as noted in the below screen shot. Once this is changed, Eset will download all available pre-release modules in what will appear to be an Eset new release update.

Eset_Update_Profile.thumb.png.a01ff3a8707c5abc242491f5e3a08fa5.png

On 4/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, itman said:

It might be some time till update module 1425 is released via regular update channel.

As @Marcos posted if you want to receive ver. 1425 ASAP, you have to modify Eset GUI Update settings to use the pre-release update channel as noted in the below screen shot. Once this is changed, Eset will download all available pre-release modules in what will appear to be an Eset new release update.

Eset_Update_Profile.thumb.png.a01ff3a8707c5abc242491f5e3a08fa5.png

Sorry for delay in the answer. I have a health problem that is consuming my time and forces.

Thanks for the information on the update for the last version of module 1425. I have still the 1423 version. If in a week new version isn't released through normal updates, I'll update like that.

By now, I rebooted again the computer and the usage of RAM dropped again... increasing slowly one more time. Rebooting is a way for dropping the usage of RAM, but I'd like to know why it happens and why only rebooting the usage drops. (Switching off and then switching on again doesn't works, after switching on the usage is the same as previously.)

I'll report news. Thanks.

• ESET Insiders
10 hours ago, AlSky said:

By now, I rebooted again the computer and the usage of RAM dropped again... increasing slowly one more time. Rebooting is a way for dropping the usage of RAM, but I'd like to know why it happens and why only rebooting the usage drops. (Switching off and then switching on again doesn't works, after switching on the usage is the same as previously.)

I'm sorry I didn't read whole thread so I don't know if this was mentioned before.

From your description it seems that you have Fast startup enabled. You can try disabling it and see if switching system off instead of rebooting decreases RAM usage. More info here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

• ESET Moderators

Hello @AlSky,

14 hours ago, AlSky said:

Sorry for delay in the answer. I have a health problem that is consuming my time and forces.

Sorry to hear that, I hope it will get better soon.

14 hours ago, AlSky said:

Thanks for the information on the update for the last version of module 1425. I have still the 1423 version. If in a week new version isn't released through normal updates, I'll update like that.

Internet Protection Module 1425 has been released for pre-release users today at around 10:40 (CEST).

So if you use / switch to pre-release update channel you will get it, it this case I would recommend it.

Once you receive the Internet Protection Module 1425, can you please reboot your system, watch the memory consumption for few days and let us know how it behaves...

Thank you, Peter

P_ESSW-12796

On 4/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @AlSky,

Internet Protection Module 1425 has been released for pre-release users today at around 10:40 (CEST).

So if you use / switch to pre-release update channel you will get it, it this case I would recommend it.

Once you receive the Internet Protection Module 1425, can you please reboot your system, watch the memory consumption for few days and let us know how it behaves...

Thank you, Peter

P_ESSW-12796

Hello and thank you very much for your answer. I have a serious health problem and that's I'm using little computer.

I'm going to install the last version of the module (I have still the 1023 version) following the explanation of user itman and I'll report the situation after checking some days. Or if there is something weird very obvious I'll write asap.

Thanks.

On 4/27/2021 at 8:38 AM, Minimalist said:

I'm sorry I didn't read whole thread so I don't know if this was mentioned before.

From your description it seems that you have Fast startup enabled. You can try disabling it and see if switching system off instead of rebooting decreases RAM usage. More info here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Thanks for your time, but I'm running Windows 8.1, not Windows 10.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @AlSky,

Thank you, Peter

P_ESSW-12796

Hello, Peter. I updated the ESET product to 14.1.19.0 version but the Internet protection module is installed with is still the 1423. Is it normal? I thought it should have changed to 1025 version.

Regards.

(Sorry if I delay my answer, my health problem will last for long, it seems.)

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Hello, Peter. I updated the ESET product to 14.1.19.0 version but the Internet protection module is installed with is still the 1423. Is it normal? I thought it should have changed to 1025 version.

Not unless you switch to the pre-release update channel. Modules are independent of the product version.

28 minutes ago, AlSky said:

I updated the ESET product to 14.1.19.0 version but the Internet protection module is installed with is still the 1423. Is it normal?

Verify that this upgraded version is set to pre-release updating.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Not unless you switch to the pre-release update channel. Modules are independent of the product version.

Ah, I understand. Thanks, Marcos.

5 hours ago, itman said:

Verify that this upgraded version is set to pre-release updating.

Yes, now it's ok. I have the version 1425. Tomorrow I'll make a on-demand scan and we'll see if again the usage if RAM increases very much and don't drop after the end of the scan.

Thank you for the help.

33 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Ah, I understand. Thanks, Marcos.

After updating in mode pre-release updating I selected once again the normal updating (once the support told me it's not wise change the options that come pre-configured in the product) and ESET updated once again... reverting the modules to previous ones: I have again the version 1423. Is it normal? Thanks.

1 hour ago, AlSky said:

After updating in mode pre-release updating I selected once again the normal updating (once the support told me it's not wise change the options that come pre-configured in the product) and ESET updated once again... reverting the modules to previous ones: I have again the version 1423. Is it normal? Thanks.

Yes.

Once you returned to the regular update channel, Eset download modules used on that channel. As far as Internet Module is concerned, that is ver. 1423. The only way you will receive ver. 1425 that contains the memory usage fix is to remain on the pre-release update channel. Once Eset releases ver. 1425 on the regular update channel, you can then switch back to that channel. Again, it may be some time till ver. 1425 is released on the regular update channel.

1 hour ago, AlSky said:

once the support told me it's not wise change the options that come pre-configured in the product)

What Eset support was referring to was Eset GUI default settings. Pre-release update setting is an exception in cases like yours where Eset moderators instructed you specifically to switch to pre-release updating.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, AlSky said:

Eset do recommended people use pre release updates on non production computers. The reason is often they will release new versions for people to test, often fixing issues, and by multiple people using it they can test if it works and also if there are any compatibility issues

E.g. they could release a pre release update to the main stable channel that could actually have issues but they weren't detected because not many people had used that version. Eset does have quality control, checks etc. But issues can happen, things missed etc.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:29 AM, itman said:

Yes.

Once you returned to the regular update channel, Eset download modules used on that channel. As far as Internet Module is concerned, that is ver. 1423. The only way you will receive ver. 1425 that contains the memory usage fix is to remain on the pre-release update channel. Once Eset releases ver. 1425 on the regular update channel, you can then switch back to that channel. Again, it may be some time till ver. 1425 is released on the regular update channel.

Hello. I did an on-demand scan. The use of the RAM raised up to 300 Mb, but soon after the ESET product told me that there was a new version available (14.1.20.0, a few days ago I installed the 14.1.19, how fast a new version has ben released), and after installing and rebooting to complete the installation the process started again. I have explained before that after rebooting the use of RAM is minimal (30 M or so). Now it's at 185 Mb and rising. I'll check for a few days if it keeps raising and how much.

On the other hand: if I return to normal update also I'll lose the new version 14.1.20.0 of the product?

Thanks.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, peteyt said:

Eset do recommended people use pre release updates on non production computers. The reason is often they will release new versions for people to test, often fixing issues, and by multiple people using it they can test if it works and also if there are any compatibility issues

E.g. they could release a pre release update to the main stable channel that could actually have issues but they weren't detected because not many people had used that version. Eset does have quality control, checks etc. But issues can happen, things missed etc.

Thanks for the answer. So: should I return to normal update mode? ESET Smart Security version 14.1.20.0 was released on normal update or pre-release update?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Thanks for the answer. So: should I return to normal update mode? ESET Smart Security version 14.1.20.0 was released on normal update or pre-release update?

It was released to both. When switching to the pre-release channel or vice-versa, only modules are updated, not the program.

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, AlSky said:

Thanks in advance.

Eset recommends you use the pre release updates for general use e.g. if it's not an important work computer.

There's always a risk when using something not final but without users trying it they can't get feedback 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, peteyt said:

Eset recommends you use the pre release updates for general use e.g. if it's not an important work computer.

There's always a risk when using something not final but without users trying it they can't get feedback 

Thank you very much for your answer.

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Thank you very much for your answer.

Did the pre release updates fix your issues?