1 hour ago, BeanSlappers said:

Hey Marco's,

Well I hope this gets fixed because Alsky is right, he pays the same as us, and so therefor it shouldn't matter if he is using different to windows 10, this should be fixed and shouldn't be low priority.   This can tell people they they are not important enough to even been considered with their bugs etc.  I never intended to be a apart of a company with being an insider for this type of arrogance.

Thank you very much for your support. This is what we all need, people committed to helping and improve things.

This is noteworthy.

I just ran an Eset custom scan of my OS drive excluding WMI and registry scanning; something I asked the OP to do. When the scan started, ekrn.exe was using approx. 90 MB. I monitored ekrn.exe memory usage for a while when the scan ran. I observed ekrn.exe memory usage rise and fall during the scan but never exceeding 120 MB, and at times using less memory than when the scan started. Unfortunately, the PC entered sleep mode while I was away, so I wasn't able to determine what ekrn.exe memory usage was at the end of the scan. Upon resume from sleep mode however, ekrn.exe was using 50 MB of memory.

"My money is on" WMI probably, and/or registry scanning as the culprit. Scanning of these areas have been problematic since Eset started doing so.

• ESET Insiders
2 hours ago, AlSky said:

Thank you very much for your support. This is what we all need, people committed to helping and improve things.

Welcome.   I have beta tested for other companies as well, but honestly, Zone alarm listened, a few others didn't, microsoft is finally listening more to us insiders.  I know eset listens most times, apart from the odd comeback with "my PC is not doing that"  well duh, all systems are different haha.   But it's the reason I do my best to help and present problems that rise for me, but also I don't like the arrogance at times either.  But then again most times the end results is better then during diags.

9 hours ago, BeanSlappers said:

Welcome.   I have beta tested for other companies as well, but honestly, Zone alarm listened, a few others didn't, microsoft is finally listening more to us insiders.  I know eset listens most times, apart from the odd comeback with "my PC is not doing that"  well duh, all systems are different haha.   But it's the reason I do my best to help and present problems that rise for me, but also I don't like the arrogance at times either.  But then again most times the end results is better then during diags.

Thank you very much once again. We'll see what's the answer and what's the cause of the problem.

12 hours ago, itman said:

This is noteworthy.

I just ran an Eset custom scan of my OS drive excluding WMI and registry scanning; something I asked the OP to do. When the scan started, ekrn.exe was using approx. 90 MB. I monitored ekrn.exe memory usage for a while when the scan ran. I observed ekrn.exe memory usage rise and fall during the scan but never exceeding 120 MB, and at times using less memory than when the scan started. Unfortunately, the PC entered sleep mode while I was away, so I wasn't able to determine what ekrn.exe memory usage was at the end of the scan. Upon resume from sleep mode however, ekrn.exe was using 50 MB of memory.

"My money is on" WMI probably, and/or registry scanning as the culprit. Scanning of these areas have been problematic since Eset started doing so.

This is the way my ESET product was working usually. I don't have the habit of checking the Task Manager, but the times I did it moved by curiosity to see how much RAM/disk/CPU use some particular process or several working simultaneously (browser, player, antivirus, etc.), I found that ESET rarely exceeded 200 Mb. When I did a scan it would increase, yes, but after finishing the scan it would return to normal levels. And now, simnce end of March, that doesn't happen: doesn't rturn to normal levels even by switching off and restarting the computer. I have to force a shutdown or reinstall the product. It's what's not normal. If during the scan it reached 600-700-800 Mb and then returned to normal use, ok. But it doesn't, it still uses RAM and keeps consuming more and more RAM and don't know why. (Last time I did on-demand scan the use of RAM after scan was 530 Mb and less than one hour after the scan was finished, instaed diminishing, it reached 700 Mb. Switching off and restarting the computer didn't help, I needed to force the shutdown. I suppose it close completely the ekrn.exe process and that's why the memory gets free again... till the next.)

I just ran another Eset off-line scan. This time its was the default Smart scan which included WMI, registry, and a second internal HDD with two partitions that I have installed.

I also stated monitoring scan memory usage using Win Task Manger and switched to Process Explorer which gives much more detail on what is going on.

I can say with confidence, WMI and registry scanning are not factors in ekrn.exe memory usage. What was significant using Process Explorer was ekrn.exe fairly consistent memory usage. Starting at approx. 90 MB; rising to 114 MB; and staying at that level for the most part. Of interest was ekrn.exe memory usage when scanning a large file such as a Win 10 Feature Update .iso stored as a backup on the non-boot HDD. Ekrn.exe memory usage dropped to 54 MB while scanning this file.

Now for an of interest scan behavior. There were instances during the scan where "spikes" occurred in Win page file usage. The largest was a page file fault delta per Process Explorer of 2690. This indicates to me that either ekrn.exe or the OS itself will go to the page file as needed. If there is a problem there, I assume ekrn.exe will fallback to real memory usage. This confirms my prior suspicion there may be a page file configuration issue with this Win 8.1 device. It may be very well Eset has recently modified off-line scan behavior to use the page file more extensively and this is the reason for the high memory usage on this device.

Edited by itman
4 hours ago, Marcos said:

@AlSkydoes temporarily disabling SSL filtering in the advanced setup and rebooting the machine make a difference in memory consumption?

No, I checked and no improvement. Since last forced shutdown the memory is increasing again, slowly but continously: after forced shutdown usage of RAM dropped to 164 Mb and is increasing till 340 Mb right now. This morning was 320 Mb. I Disabled now the SSL filtering and restarted the computer, but the usage is the same than with it enabled.

ESET memoria 6.jpg

Let's try a different approach.

You say the ekrn.exe issue started recently. Check your recent Win Update history. What you are looking for is something related to an Intel Microcode update; assuming your processor is Intel based. On the other hand, my processor is AMD and Microsoft pushed this update to my device ..............

Edited by itman
  • Administrators

What you could try is uninstalling ESET and installing it from scratch with the computer immediately disconnected from network after activation to prevent modules from being updated. Are you able to reproduce the issue? Or only after connecting the computer to LAN and updating modules?

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

What you could try is uninstalling ESET and installing it from scratch with the computer immediately disconnected from network after activation to prevent modules from being updated. Are you able to reproduce the issue? Or only after connecting the computer to LAN and updating modules?

Hello. The only time I reinstalled the ESET product and disconnected from the Internet before the modules were installed (a futile attempt to solve whether the problems I mentioned above on version 13.2.14.0 and later), then, when I reconnected internet, the ESET product couldn't be updated and I had to uninstall and reinstall again without disconnecting the internet.

Don't know if it is related with the problem (problems) I have with the ESET product.

Suddenly appeared two messages consecutively saying ESET has Kernel and spam Limited Direct Cloud connectivity. I opened up the ESET GUI, the notification had disappeared (except in the log I show in the screenshot) and the GUI shows now all green, no red or orange warnings.

I have changed nothing in my router or computer. No updates of programs or OS (till next Tuesday I don't expect new monthly updates of Microsoft).

But there is no message warning a restoration of the Cloud connectivity. What’s happening? Does it mean my protection is not full?

Problema ESET.jpg

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, AlSky said:

But there is no message warning a restoration of the Cloud connectivity. What’s happening? Does it mean my protection is not full.

It's unrelated to the memory issue. The message means that the product was not able to reach ESET's servers on port 53535 for a while. It could have been a network issue between your machine and ISP or between the ISP and ESET's servers. The point is that the error is not being reported repeatedly.

As for the memory issue, I'll prepare a package with older modules momentarily that you'll then install temporarily to find out if it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

It's unrelated to the memory issue. The message means that the product was not able to reach ESET's servers on port 53535 for a while. It could have been a network issue between your machine and ISP or between the ISP and ESET's servers. The point is that the error is not being reported repeatedly.

As for the memory issue, I'll prepare a package with older modules momentarily that you'll then install temporarily to find out if it makes a difference.

The connection to the cloud has been restored. I wonder if it's a point problem or related to the other problem.

Problema ESET resuelto.jpg