Comparison to other Mobile Security solucions

Go to solution Solved by rugk,

In this Wikipedia article you can compare ESET Mobile Security for Android to other security software for Android.

Wikipedia: Comparison of antivirus software - Google Android (old version)

So here the things that EMS actually don't have (according to the Wikipedia article):

• Firewall - I think this is the worst thing of all (because EMS don't have it compared to some other vendors)
  • Web protection - EMS scans all downloaded files, but is it true that it don't protect against malious websites?
  • Privacy Advisor - OK, it isn't included in the product but you can train yourself online with a valid ESET licence if you are US-American or Canadian.
  • Backup - IMO ESET don't need this. There are other backup soluctions you can use and it's nothing that EMS needs.
  • Parental control - ESS already have it, but EMS not...

And there stands it's "Non-free", but there is also a free version. So in truth it's Freemium. (Isn't it?)

And there is also another strange fact about the "firewall". EMS for Windows Mobile and for Symbian have a firewall (according to the Wikipedia article), but for Android there is no firewall supported!?

So what do you say about this?

See also:

Edit: Changed link to old version, because some things were changed in the new version of the table.

Edited by rugk

Weekends are a little slower, since closed until Monday.

Any moderators logging on, is on personal time, and simply to help due to compassion and love for the job and industry.

Plus willingness to assist end users at all times. :)

Edited by Arakasi

Yes it's true what Arakasi says!

Let's order an online Pizza (delivery to doorstep) for Marcos to show our appreciation for stopping by on the weekends too  :D

If you have his address.. :D

P.S.: He was also good at deleting spam posts (today/yesterday)...

Edited by rugk

If you have his address.. :D

P.S.: He was also good at deleting spam posts (today/yesterday)...

Yep. Marcos is passionate, dedicated, and performs moderation as good as anyone can expect one too. :)

I presume he is in Slovakia. Good luck with Pizza :)

Would be better to send some buchteln & wine/alcohol. :D

:D

Yeah, but don't go off topic. We don't want to expand this topic with unimportant facts.

If you want to talk more you of course can create a new topic "How passionate is the moderator Marcos and how to send him a pizza (or something else)?" ;).

Edited by rugk

So back to topic...

ESET, would you like to comment this?

There are some things that aren't included in EMS actually, so maybe you should include them. Or at least you should say why it is not included...

In this Wikipedia article you can compare ESET Mobile Security for Android to other security software for Android.

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software#Google_Android

So here the things that EMS actually don't have (according to the Wikipedia article):

• Firewall - I think this is the worst thing of all (because EMS don't have it compared to some other vendors)
  • Web protection - EMS scans all downloaded files, but is it true that it don't protect against malious websites?
  • Privacy Advisor - OK, it isn't included in the product but you can train yourself online with a valid ESET licence if you are US-American or Canadian.
  • Backup - IMO ESET don't need this. There are other backup soluctions you can use and it's nothing that EMS needs.
  • Parental control - ESS already have it, but EMS not...

And there stands it's "Non-free", but there is also a free version. So in truth it's Freemium. (Isn't it?)

And there is also another strange fact about the "firewall". EMS for Windows Mobile and for Symbian have a firewall (according to the Wikipedia article), but for Android there is no firewall supported!?

So what do you say about this?

See also:

On Android Device it is not possible to run firewall and it is not necessary to run, because of some restrictions. To run firewall it is necessary to root device.

Backup is also a part of security and we can’t say that it is not necessary but we can say it's expensive.

On Wikipedia are mistakes, I have read several scientific articles and some dates were wrong.

On Wikipedia are mistakes, I have read several scientific articles and some dates were wrong.

Wikipedia is an open source DB of information.

Anyone can sign up and go make changes, so yes mistakes are definitely possibly everywhere. :)

Thanks for your answer.  I hope someone of the ESET moderators or ESET stuff would say something about it, but your answer is also quite good.

• Firewall - requires root - OK, but what's with the 3 others that (purported) have this feature? G Data MobileSecurity, Kaspersky Mobile Security and 360 Mobilesafe. On their official websites I found nothing like a real firewall. So maybe the Wikipedia article is really wrong in this cases.
  • Backup - It's necessary in general - yes, but IMO ESET don't needs it. As you say it's expensive and ESET should be focused on protection against maleware.

And about the mistakes in Wikipedia: If something have the time it would be nice if he could improve the article or at least write it on the talk page (maybe link to this topic). So if we found out that is something wrong on the Wikipedia article (at least with ESET's software) then you are free to edit the article.

(@Arakasi:Yes you are right (and faster...), but you can also edit without signing up - see this article.)

So this are the point's that aren't commented yet (they are "open"):

• Web protection
  • Privacy Advisor
  • Parental control

So if something wants to say something about this...

Edited by rugk

Thanks for your answer.  I hope someone of the ESET moderators or ESET stuff would say something about it, but your answer is also quite good.

• Firewall - requires root - OK, but what's with the 3 others that (purported) have this feature? G Data MobileSecurity, Kaspersky Mobile Security and 360 Mobilesafe. On their official websites I found nothing like a real firewall. So maybe the Wikipedia article is really wrong in this cases.
  • Backup - It's necessary in general - yes, but IMO ESET don't needs it. As you say it's expensive and ESET should be focused on protection against maleware.

And about the mistakes in Wikipedia: If something have the time it would be nice if he could improve the article or at least write it on the talk page (maybe link to this topic). So if we found out that is something wrong on the Wikipedia article (at least with ESET's software) then you are free to edit the article.

(@Arakasi:Yes you are right (and faster...), but you can also edit without signing up - see this article.)

So this are the point's that aren't commented yet (they are "open"):

• Web protection
  • Privacy Advisor
  • Parental control

So if something wants to say something about this...

In general Android OS has restrictions and do not allow possibility to run classic firewall.

Firewall that have some companies, they named firewall but this can be type of filtering or monitoring.

Web Protection and Anti-phishing are two different things. Web Protection protects from all kind of threats that can be present on different sites, Anti-phishing protects against fraud sites that contains false offer, etc.

Privacy Advisor, Eset Mobile Security use information provided by Android about applications, only sort applications after different criteria. Eset Mobile Security need to develop something own for privacy advice.

Parental Control is designed for filter internet content after defined criteria: Ex weapons, social networking, strong language, etc. Parental control is very useful and can be included in Eset Mobile Security. 

Edited by Octavian

Parental control -

Most of the time DNS is at the core of filtering.

Just switch from your data provider to someone's wifi.

Bye Parental control. :lol:

OK.

• Firewall: So if ESET would be able to add this "type of filtering" (without root) to EMS it would be (also) nice.
  • Web protection and Anti-phising: Yes, that are some different things, but Anti-Phising is already included (in the Premium version), but unfortunately Web protection isn't included yet.
  • Privacy Advisor: @Octavian: Do I assume correctly that you mean the "Security Audit"? I thought with "Privacy Advisor" they meant something that advises you, e.g. in your online practices. That's why I linked to ESET CyberSecurity Training in the first post, because their you can get such an advice.
  • Parental Control: @Arakasi: Funny...

So what do you think, ESET, about adding this features?

Edited by rugk

• Former ESET Employees

Firewall: Not possible without rooting the phone; EMS will not install properly (often at all) on a rooted phone; we strongly discourage even trying

Anti-phishing: as you stated this is already included in the Premium version of EMS

Privacy advisor: EMS does contain Device Monitoring and Application Audits. If you are asking for advice on privacy, there's plenty of relevant posts on WeLiveSecurity - if something else, please explain more clearly.

Parental Control: This might be a useful feature in the future. We'll look into it. 

I'll inquire internally about the Web Protection request. If another ESET staff member has deeper insight about it, they can feel free to respond if I am unable to reply before they are.

OK.

• Firewall: So if ESET would be able to add this "type of filtering" (without root) to EMS it would be (also) nice.
  • Web protection and Anti-phising: Yes, that are some different things, but Anti-Phising is already included (in the Premium version), but unfortunately Web protection isn't included yet.
  • Privacy Advisor: @Octavian: Do I assume correctly that you mean the "Security Audit"? I thought with "Privacy Advisor" they meant something that advises you, e.g. in your online practices. That's why I linked to ESET CyberSecurity Training in the first post, because their you can get such an advice.
  • Parental Control: @Arakasi: Funny...

So what do you think, ESET, about adding this features?

I referred to ''Security Audi'' and type of applications advice using information offered by Android OS. 

Edited by Octavian

Firewall: Not possible without rooting the phone; EMS will not install properly (often at all) on a rooted phone; we strongly discourage even trying

Anti-phishing: as you stated this is already included in the Premium version of EMS

Privacy advisor: EMS does contain Device Monitoring and Application Audits. If you are asking for advice on privacy, there's plenty of relevant posts on WeLiveSecurity - if something else, please explain more clearly.

Parental Control: This might be a useful feature in the future. We'll look into it. 

I'll inquire internally about the Web Protection request. If another ESET staff member has deeper insight about it, they can feel free to respond if I am unable to reply before they are.

• Firewall: OK if it isn't possible then we can't do anything.

But just a question (I already asked it in the first post): EMS for Windows Mobile and for Symbian have a firewall (according to the Wikipedia article). Is it true or is it a mistake in the Wikipedia article?

• Anti-phising: Yes you're right. It is already included.
  • Web Protection: I'm looking forward to hear from you...
  • Privacy advisor: I don't know what they mean, because I don't asked - I only referred to the Wikipedia article. So look into the Wikipedia article. There 9 mobile security apps should have such a "thing".
  • Parental Control: OK.

But just a question (I already asked it in the first post): EMS for Windows Mobile and for Symbian have a firewall (according to the Wikipedia article). Is it true or is it a mistake in the Wikipedia article?

Windows Mobile and Symbian are not Android OS, based on java and using a linux kernel.

;)

Edited by Arakasi

Yeah, but if it is

On Android Device it is not possible to run firewall and it is not necessary to run.

on an Android device. Why should it be necessary to run it on Windows Mobile or Symbian?

Edited by rugk

Windows Mobile and Symbian are not Android OS, based on java and using a linux kernel.

Because they have more vulnerabilities, no linux kernel, barely any security, i can go on.....

So what? Have they a linux kernel or not?

P.S.: Anroid is also using a Linux kernel.

Edited by rugk